Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy to consider a 996 GT2 as a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Am I crazy to consider a 996 GT2 as a DD?

Let me start by saying I work from home, so I don't have a commute. I typically only put a few hundred miles a month on my "DD" - to/from the gym, running errands, going out on the weekends with the wife. The roads here are also pretty smooth, generally.

I know a 996TT makes more sense but its look just doesn't do it for me. And there aren't any 996 GT2s for sale locally, so I can't take one for a spin to get a feel for it. I really had not been considering a GT2 but I came across one that seems to be in good shape and priced right.

Will a GT2 drive me mad and make me wish for something "softer" or will I have a huge smile on my face each time I drive it?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I think it all depends on your personal tolerance for noise, vibration and harshness.

If you can find a '6 GT3 to drive it'll give you the same basic idea of what to expect ride wise.

I have a pretty high tolerance for agressive stuff so I *could* DD a GT3 or GT2 if I had to, but I don't so mine sits in the garage for the times I"ll actually enjoy it. As hard as I try to make my drive to work entertaining it's just not.

Just no room for an additional car? I've got a busted and beat 13 year old Audi A4 I drive on a daily basis that I don't have to wory about all the time. I'll never get rid of that car and it serves me well as a daily.

P.S. I had the pleasure of driving a modified '6 GT2 last weekend, this particular car has a built 3.8l and makes >700hp at the wheels and MAN what a rush
Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I used to take our GT2 to work (whoever grabbed the key first gto to take it) before we had our son.

After he was born, my wife started driving the S4 Avant regularly, and the GT2 beame my DD.

The only things to remember are these:

1. Keep a supply of lower lip spoiler, you will destroy many DD'ing.

2. Do not keep meat or fish from the grocery store in the trunk, they will get cooked because the trunk is not insulated.

3. Do NOT get the Euro seats if you are going to DD, it is a pain to get in and out.

4. You can't talk on your cellphone after about 65mph. The car becomes too loud.

If you can live with these, then GT2 is fine for you.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuka
My wife and I used to take our GT2 to work (whoever grabbed the key first gto to take it) before we had our son.

After he was born, my wife started driving the S4 Avant regularly, and the GT2 beame my DD.

The only things to remember are these:

1. Keep a supply of lower lip spoiler, you will destroy many DD'ing.

2. Do not keep meat or fish from the grocery store in the trunk, they will get cooked because the trunk is not insulated.

3. Do NOT get the Euro seats if you are going to DD, it is a pain to get in and out.

4. You can't talk on your cellphone after about 65mph. The car becomes too loud.

If you can live with these, then GT2 is fine for you.
I don't mind replacing the lower lip spoiler from time to time, this has to be done most 911s. Living out here I've learned never to keep anything from the grocery store in my car longer than the drive home. Not being able to talk on my cell on the freeway reminds me of when I used to drive a soft top Wrangler, talking on a cell was impossible and a conversation with a passenger required one to nearly yell.

I think I can live with the things you've mentioned, they don't really seem to be that big of a deal to me. I'm still curious if others see issues with DD'ing a GT2.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by BGA23
I don't mind replacing the lower lip spoiler from time to time, this has to be done most 911s. Living out here I've learned never to keep anything from the grocery store in my car longer than the drive home. Not being able to talk on my cell on the freeway reminds me of when I used to drive a soft top Wrangler, talking on a cell was impossible and a conversation with a passenger required one to nearly yell.

I think I can live with the things you've mentioned, they don't really seem to be that big of a deal to me. I'm still curious if others see issues with DD'ing a GT2.
Well, most of the 36K miles that my wife and I put on the GT2 were DD miles (probably less than a thousand miles on the track). I think it is pretty unlikely you are going to find another person with a higher DD miles than me.

Really those are the issues, or non issues.

I think you'll do just fine.

One last thing I will reiterate is the Euro one piece seats. For DD, do NOT get it. Pain to get in and out and not rub against the leather surface on the left thin bolster.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say go for it... I agree with your comments regarding the Turbo. I was looking to buy a 997 Turbo as a DD, but it just felt soft. To me, the 996 GT3 & GT2 are throwbacks to the 911s of old - rough, raw, visceral. These cars will beat you up on long drives though. I have driven my "3" to Vegas (400+ miles each way) and my butt is sore when I get out of my Euro GT3 seats. Despite that, the car just feels right. It is a true priviledge to drive - and on the track it is an animal.

My next DD will be a 997 GT3. Put snow tires on it, and I am good to go....

My $0.02,
-B
Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuka
Well, most of the 36K miles that my wife and I put on the GT2 were DD miles (probably less than a thousand miles on the track). I think it is pretty unlikely you are going to find another person with a higher DD miles than me.

Really those are the issues, or non issues.

I think you'll do just fine.

One last thing I will reiterate is the Euro one piece seats. For DD, do NOT get it. Pain to get in and out and not rub against the leather surface on the left thin bolster.
The Euro one piece seats just look painful to sit on. I'm sure they're great for the track but I'm can't imagine they'd be any fun on a daily basis.

Got some more thinking to do but don't want to overthink it too much, I'm sure I can come up with dozens of reasons not to buy one.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:22 PM
stuka
Pro

Invest in a paint meter. Most GT2's have been crashed.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 PM
AlexN
Intermediate

I dont exactly DD mine either (work from home like you do), but it could be done.
The roads in Miami are very smooth as well, so even with the Moton's, the car is not too bad.
I too, have a pretty high tolerance to NVH, and as mentioned above, you wont be falling asleep in this car...
I was debating between a 996GT2 and a 997 GT3 before I bought the car, and decided to go with the GT2 due to the turbos and the fact that this would be mostly a street car, where you can appreciate the power and torque everytime you drive the car. To really appreciate what you're missing from the GT3 you need to be on a track, where as you only need to punch the gas in the GT2 to appreciate what you're gaining.
BTW - I have the GT3 seats in mine, and while you need to be somewhat athletic to get in and out, it's not that bad. I got used to it in 2 days.
I'll be selling mine in the next few weeks, so PM me if you're interested in another option.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a friend in Tempe with 2, 996 TT's one of which is full race though street licensed. He takes that monster out all the time and loves driving it around with 700 whp....
Old 04-13-2012, 01:15 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

How are the roads on your commute?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM
OroborusGT3
Intermediate

It can be done, I bought a 2010 GT3 last August with 9k miles and now its at 14k miles of daily driving and I always keep the car at the stiffer setting and sport button on. I didn't buy it for the track but to commute.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:24 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Great reading Will be joining the GT-2/3 ranks in the next year!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 562 Posts

I have a 2004 GT3 and have put over 60K street miles on the car. It's a daily driver for me in Florida. It would not work in some other states, but down here I would not think twice.

I don't know where you are in Arizona, but I have noticed that Phoenix seems to have a lot of stones and rocks on the road, so you would have to be okay with chips and windshield damage as a fact of life.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 AM
ColoradoGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive it every day, and be one of the happiest and luckiest people on the road! These cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed daily!

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to consider a 996 GT2 as a DD?