Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy to consider a 996 GT2 as a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Carpyourdiem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Git It!

I agree with ColoradoGT3...how many of us have messed our stuff up by NOT DRIVING IT? Sittin' is worse than anything this side of abuse.

A few thoughts to add to the brilliance you have already read regarding your question: I take the time to adjust my 2's (anti) sway bars to their softest settings for street use, then climb under and mess with them again for track. I would love to have some of the suspension gurus on here chime in, but I feel a difference in ride.
I remember a magazine line about a "stiff" Porsche: "It rides about the same as every car we've modified to handle better."
My enthusiast wife and I have driven this thing cross-country and the only modification we would make would be to put a stack of $100 bills under the windshield wipers for the Highway Patrol. "Yes sir, I believe I was slightly over 100 mph, seein' as I was just shiftin' out of third gear..."
Some things not mentioned: The A/C is ice cccccold. The mileage can be amazing, we habitually get over 20 mpg around town and easily over 23 on the freeway, according to the computer. The front overhang/ride-height is the biggest drawback to dd. It's loud-ish at speed, but the stock stereo is quite good.
I'm an unapologetic fan of this car. Get it now, thank us later. Be one of the few who will never have to say, "Uh, yeah...I had my TC off too. Really." (Every Corvette you lap at the track.)...NI
Old 04-15-2012, 07:49 AM
maca
Rennlist Member

i drive my 6gt3 every day to and from work, 8 months out of the year. i am 6'1, 225 and have no problem getting comfortable in the gt3 bucket seats, once i figured out how to get in/out quickly. i even drop off our 2 year old at day care 2 days a week (recaro baby seat with airbag disconnect bar+buckle).

the car is simply awesome.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

This is good reading, and timely, as I'm about to pull the trigger on possibly an 04GT3. My commute is 150miles round trip and I'm doing it right now in an E36 M3 with PSS9s set fairly stiff. I enjoy half the commute while the other half is interstate slabbing... I don't expect anything already mentioned would bother me more, as my M3 is similar in noise and harshness above certain speeds. I had a 996TT and probably should have just kept it, but you can't undo the clock there...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

This topic has come up many times in the past. To take the other side the 996 2&3's are not friendly daily drivers. On a pristine road they are ok. The 997 are a different story and have much better street manners. You feel every bump and dip on the road. Replacing the front spoilers on a regular basis would be a pain. For street driving I would removing the front splitter.

If you are willing to live with the noise and rawness than go for it. Sounds like you already made up your mind so have fun. They are great cars.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:51 PM
stuka
Pro

What is the market price on 03 GT2's with less than 20K miles nowadays?

There are days when I really wanted another 996 GT2 now that my son is 3.5 years old.

I found a nice red GT3, but it's got the vinyl dash and door cards. Were I to find this GT3 back when I was still tracking, I wouldn't mind. But for a DD, I just can't look past this.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to consider a 996 GT2 as a DD?