Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Garage Design

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Got it...thanks looks like a good place to look for ideas...
Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Garage Journal??
www.garagejournal.com

Marc
Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Porcelain tile for the floor
Enough space on the sides to use floor jacks
TV for watching the races while tooling on the cars... I mean toys.
Porcelain tile is probably one of the best, I put it in with 3' all round the walls for simply wash down.
Bendpak 4 post lift
Tool chests still a WIP....
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2012, 01:03 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love those P-cars DRPM! Your garage looks really great!

I have a one car garage at my Park City home, so chose to get a track garage at MMP to store 2 of the Porsches. For the one car garage, I went with epoxy flooring (installed May '03, and they have held up really well). Also went with Gladiator workbenches and custom cabinets. Added track lighting (lighting is important) and framed Porsche posters to make it feel like a room. This garage now doubles as my home office.

For the track garage, I added some framed Porsche artwork and a Bendpack scissor lift. The garage comes with compressed air, ventilation, cable and heater - and I use them all. This summer, I added a flat panel to watch/lsiten to TV while working on the cars... In the next year or two, I will buy another Porsche and add a Bendpack lift so that I can stack cars. Pre-wiring for 220V has been nice as well.

-B
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Love those P-cars DRPM! Your garage looks really great!

I have a one car garage at my Park City home, so chose to get a track garage at MMP to store 2 of the Porsches. For the one car garage, I went with epoxy flooring (installed May '03, and they have held up really well). Also went with Gladiator workbenches and custom cabinets. Added track lighting (lighting is important) and framed Porsche posters to make it feel like a room. This garage now doubles as my home office.

For the track garage, I added some framed Porsche artwork and a Bendpack scissor lift. The garage comes with compressed air, ventilation, cable and heater - and I use them all. This summer, I added a flat panel to watch/lsiten to TV while working on the cars... In the next year or two, I will buy another Porsche and add a Bendpack lift so that I can stack cars. Pre-wiring for 220V has been nice as well.

-B
Very Nice Stable with all the amenities Blake!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Realistically I have the space to build a 10 car garage but of course would have to heat it over the winter...and then buy 10 cars
Or! You could build a 10 car garage and rent stalls to your local PCA clubmates to cover heating costs.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished house and garage projects. That's a big undertaking.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

I have redesigned based on the advice here. It now has one double door (18') and the ceiling in the low portion is now 14' so if I want to move in a 4 post hoist in the middle bay I can. I've added water for a wash bay and added floor drains. Not easy as I have to have a cistern for the water and one for the waste water....and heat all winter. I will run cable out there and have a TV and stereo for man cave aspirations. The drafting company is preparing the package to submit for a building permit so it's imminent for the end of the summer.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:41 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Smart changes. Can't wait to see pics! Enjoy the build process...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a twin post AND four post (on casters) in the same bay! It allows for great suspension setups using both, and they negate the use of those four post jack bridges. Doing bump steer alignment adjustments is cake!

Other than that, lots of wall shelving, tons of lighting (I used 16 eight foot florecent tubes in a 24x32 shop) plenty of outlets. 2 stage compressors are also easy on the ears! Also, painted the walls and ceiling semigloss white. Race deck is great for garages you park cars in. However, the first time tou have to find a fastener that disappears in the grid, you will regret it.
Mike
Old 05-15-2012, 03:11 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a little experience in this area since I am a GC with some experience in updating my personal garage spaces. So - just a few things.

Go deep - If you have a problem with trees and width push the envelope deeper to give you storage, work space and staging areas.

Stuff - If you are going to wall mount tire racks and other heavy items the stud walls need to be back blocked to hold them.

Create a wish List - fridge, tv, cable, storage, hoist, compressed air etc.

Height - I recommend you go only a few inches over the necessary height for your lift. My lift required 12' so I went with 12' 4". The higher the ceiling the more energy required to keep it cool and light it.

Insulation - Get above 30 on your walls and 42 in your ceiling to keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Research your light fixtures and avoid Home Depot or Lowes. Spec commercial grade fixtures.

Design now - A well designed and executed garage/shop is expensive to build, treat it with the same consideration you would your home including lighting, colors, trims and furnishings. Consider and decide on where you want what. Hire a designer if necessary to help with the space considerations. This will then allow you to wire in your mechanical/electrical needs, air lines, low voltage etc.
Attached Images     
Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

^ thanks I do have a designer and all power/lights/insulation will be detailed. Good idea on the ceiling height I'll chose a hoist and see what the requirements are. The final drawings are being done now and a survey company is on the way to stake out the site so we'll see if there is any tree interference....
Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be happy to answer any questions, we are licensed GC in 25 states.

Quick Reply: OT: Garage Design