Sponsored by:

OT: Garage Design

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT: Garage Design

Fellow RL'ers I need your advice. I am designing a new garage and I'm looking for design ideas. I'd hate to build it and miss an opportunity...
It will be 3 bays with a separate storage area to park a lawn tractor and keep the yard tools out of the car spots. I am including a hoist...hopefully an in-ground if the water table allows and if not a two post service hoist. If I ever fill it with enough cars there will always be room and the ceiling height for a 4 post hoist as well.
What's the best floor finishing??? I am pouring a new pad.
Hoist brands??
Cabinets...don't need tool storage I like to keep them in rolling tool boxes.
Overall interior design....any cool ideas???
What opportunities shouldn't I miss??

Thanks for your help....
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Have u considered making the highest ceiling one longer and recess the other 2? I take it the higher ceiling one will have a lift so more work area if longer. Mike
Old 04-06-2012, 01:23 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I would definitely have one entrance 2 bays wide. Sometimes you need the width and/or want to park in the middle. My current 2 bay garage has a separator, and it is the worst.

-td
Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^ yep be better off with those 2 other ones with one wide garage door make them even rather then recessed and make high ceiling one longer. Mike
Old 04-06-2012, 01:50 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Outlets...outlets...outlets. I'm guessing you're already putting in a sub-panel. If not, consider it. Think about big electrical tool placement. 220V would nice in several places, though be aware of different outlet types based upon amps. Air compressor? Possible hardpiping for air distribution. Cable tv and/or computer network connection? An overhead loft storage can be helpful. My garage was long enough for the 4-post lift to sit past the opened garage door; I added a loft above where the door rolls open.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Mike in CO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to consider radiant heat in the slab.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Ditto on the radiant heat, my neighbor added this feature with floor drain, very nice in chicago.

Another added a loft over his display cars for reflection. Very nice!

Vidmar cabinets would be the ultimate in organization.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the ideas!
Mike the garage is staggered to avoid some huge fir trees that are surrounding it, I really don't want to get rid of them.
Good idea to have a large double door...I can see where that could be useful...I'll do it.
Lots of power plus 220V out there already (plus gas) as I'm replacing an existing double garage. It's covered by our house wireless so computers not a problem.....can't really see the need for a TV but I do plan to run an extra conduit out there to add cable/power/whatever at a later date just in case.
In-slab heating....good idea I'll check that out!

I'm thinking ceramic tile for the floor....the local BMW dealership has it and it really looks sharp. Any thoughts?? The garage isn't for day to day parking....just toy cars. So far I think my biggest design flaw is not enough storage....
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't do ceramic tile on the floor. To get tile with the durability you want will be $$$ and will require regular cleaning and sealing to keep nice. Those tile dealership floors look good but remember they have maintenance people working on them regularly. I would suggest a resinous floor of some type.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

If you have the space, try to build at least a four car (preferably five) garage. You are pouring a new slab, and the incremental cost of adding an extra space is not that high.

You may want to build about a six foot extension off the back (same width as the garage). Use the extra space for a tool room and a storage room so that your garage is completely clutter free. That will also take away the need to have cabinets and tool boxes.

Run hot/cold water.

For just a little extra money, you can add decent light fixtures.

For the floor, stained concrete looks really good, without the maintenance issues of a tile floor.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 PM
donuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use jackshaft garage door openers so you won't have the opener hanging above your car (necessary also because of your lift requirement).

Depending on what's behind your garage you can put a garage door on the back so you can drive through your garage.

Wired for security system.

Maybe power outlets underneath the cars so you can hide your battery tenders while they are charging.

A cool built in safe/lockbox for your car keys.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

If you have hard water and will be doing any detailing think about having softened or treated water at one faucet.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Well there you go I have never heard of Jackshaft garage door openers....now having looked at them I'll see if we can design them in.
Water is an issue. The garage is on an acreage and adding water would mean a cistern with trucked in water and a separate septic tank....so major $$$'s only to save a trip down the driveway to the house....but maybe. The house outside taps feed off of a cistern that is filled by rain water, so in spite of the filter it's not great water for washing cars with.
The floor is an issue too. I had my other garage done last summer with an epoxy treatment, grinding, acid wash etc etc, and of course there are a couple of spots peeling after the winter salt soaking, I'm not impressed. I am going to check out concrete staining....but in spite of the ceramic tile issues it's still high on the list as this is a toy car garage...not for DD's so easier to keep clean.
I like the idea of more space. Realistically I have the space to build a 10 car garage but of course would have to heat it over the winter...and then buy 10 cars I think 3 bays will do...I have 2 others attached to the house so 5 in total.
Lighting: absolutely, lots and lots of lights. Thinking of LED pots throughout the entire ceiling...double as a tanning room
Thanks for all the ideas....
Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Floor drainage or no?
Center catch bassin or linear trench drain? Placed where?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:22 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I have LED'S in my house. Nice illumination but when it goes bad it flickers badly just FYI. Seizure bad if more then 3 at a time. Mike

Quick Reply: OT: Garage Design