Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using 7 MM spacers in front, to get a little wider front track, ala 991?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Using 7 MM spacers in front, to get a little wider front track, ala 991?

I had to buy and run 7MM spacers for the front to run my 986-S 18" OEM wheels on the 6GT3 for the winter tires (I was able to drive the 6GT3 all winter but barely had the car on any real snow....it did fine if throttled lightly...).

When I installed the OEM wheels for the summer the other day, I went ahead and left the spacers and the longer bolts. It looks fine. My thoughts are inspired by all the hype RE the new wider front track on the 991...

Anyone have any feedback for me? When I run the track wheels and the Hoosiers will this actually add a little benefit, IE, > front grip, turn-in, etc..? I need to test fit (it may be too wide for fenders with the Volk wheels).

Thoughts? Worth it? Risks?
TIA!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

73 views and no replies. Now I know how that feels.....
I may need to pull this post and avoid more shame.

I do realize a total of 14 mm wider in the front isn't going to make much diff but just figured any wider might help and I already had these spacers on the front, etc..

Bueller, anyone?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep running them. It won't hurt and every little bit helps.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You can never be too low or too wide. I run 5mm at each corner. The limitation is the bodywork.

I was running studs with the spacers last year. I started breaking studs, so went back to bolts until I find better studs. Since I had the regular length bolts, I removed the spacers for the last few days of the year... I'm pretty sure that I noticed a difference, but who knows, I could be dreaming.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand that race teams use spacers to tune their race cars (understeer/oversteer). I come from a Honda background and we use spacers in the front to increase our mechanical grip as our cars typically understeer. This can be a good and bad thing, good for shorter tighter tracks like Streets of Willow or bad for high speed tracks where a mild push is more reassuring.

To be honest, I've never driven a Porsche with a modified front track width, but I would imagine the same physics apply. Would a +14mm track width make a difference? If François says he can feel a difference with 5mm on each corner, then probably.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

i have 5mm in front but i plan to install my 7mm and 14mm that i had on my 4s, will see...

Quick Reply: Using 7 MM spacers in front, to get a little wider front track, ala 991?