Sponsored by:

My PCA Instructor Candidate app was accepted by local club

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:59 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My PCA Instructor Candidate app was accepted by local club

The 6GT3 and I are headed into the local chapter PCA instructor training program this spring. Our club has a lot of great instructors/drivers and I know I will learn a lot from them. I admit, I am stoked that they are accepting me into the ranks. Been working towards this for a bit....I'm no "natural" talent...

Any instructor insights & words of wisdom welcome!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:27 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Congrats! I've come to enjoy instructing almost as much as driving, it feels great to give back and see the look on peoples face when they really start getting it. I've also learned equally as much by being an instructor as the senior instructors are always there to help, we're all students in this game!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good on you CB. As I'm sure you know good instructors are the life's blood of this wonderful pastime. If/when you have a first time student, the experience you will provide for him/her will make all the difference in the world to that individual. What you are taking on is great a thing and I'm sure it will be as rewarding to you as it will be to your students.

Best,

John
Old 02-15-2012, 06:53 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good for you.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Congrats!!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

You get to pages 1-5 as a student, 6-10 as an instructor, 11-15 as a hard core racer, and 16-20 as a pro racer, enjoy the journey
Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 AM
On Pole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!! We always need good instructors! Did you buy the GTS?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:49 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CanyonBlaster
The 6GT3 and I are headed into the local chapter PCA instructor training program this spring. Our club has a lot of great instructors/drivers and I know I will learn a lot from them. I admit, I am stoked that they are accepting me into the ranks. Been working towards this for a bit....I'm no "natural" talent...

Any instructor insights & words of wisdom welcome!
Be sure to have a good headset and also pace yourself. If you have a couple students and drive, it can be pretty draining. Find time either before or after to chat with your students. It'll help set expectations, both yours and theirs.

It's a blast instructing, but remember they have your life in their hands, so safety is always key. Don't be afraid to pull into the pits to discuss major issues.

-td

Last edited by himself; 02-16-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!

It's always a good thing to expand your horizons, take on new challenges. I'm sure instructing will help you in numerous ways. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by On Pole
Congrats!! We always need good instructors! Did you buy the GTS?
yes, I did, and am enjoying it. I'm all mr post **** man in the pepper forum now as well.....haha

thanks for th props RE instructing. I am looking forward to getting further involved in the club.

BTW, how does one get to National Certified Instructor status? Is there a list of the steps on PCA site or something? Thx
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 AM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is formal training that takes place both on track and in classroom based on a PCA manual put together a number of years ago. It involves role playing with an instructor buddy and what if scenarios. Also common driving terms are discussed to make it easy to convey instructions to students. We (NNJR) usually run a session in the spring to welcome all instructor candidates that were selected from their previous years performance. We also hold a yearly instructor's meeting to discuss concerns, new rules and it is usually attended by a professional driver. This meeting continues in the afternoon with the speaker addressing the non-instructor body with tips on improving their driving.

Have fun. It will improve your driving as now you will have to look at yourself and determine what you do in order to pass on the knowledge. Remember you are (or should be!) in control at all times. Do not let students get unruly. Bring them in and talk to them if needed. I find it very rewarding and an opportunity to meet some real interesting people. Enjoy and be safe!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
You get to pages 1-5 as a student, 6-10 as an instructor, 11-15 as a hard core racer, and 16-20 as a pro racer, enjoy the journey
Originally Posted by himself
Be sure to have a good headset and also pace yourself. If you have a couple students and drive, it can be pretty draining. Find time either before or after to chat with your students. It'll help set expectations, both yours and theirs.

It's a blast instructing, but remember they have your life in their hands, so safety is always key. Don't be afraid to pull into the pits to discuss major issues.

-td
+2 on these key points.

Quick Reply: My PCA Instructor Candidate app was accepted by local club