Sponsored by:

PFC 01,06,or 08?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by prodigue
I was recommended by the good chaps at Design911 to use 01 all around for my 997.1 GT3 for the street.

How are they like for low temp stopping and general performance compared to stock pads?

Thanks!

Sorry, but a shop that recommends the PFC01 pad for the street should have their shop shut down. That is horrible advice.

01s are extremely aggressive (and abrasive) and will NEVER get to their operating temp on street. Heck, you need several laps on track to get them up to temp. The best pad for the street is the OEM street pad.

WIth that said, the 01 is the most amazing pad I have ever used on track. If you have the right touch with the brake pedal, there is no other pad that will give that level of stopping power.

Last edited by LVDell; 01-15-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:27 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to PFC 08 after many years of Pagid Yellows. Here are my observations and supporting data:

PFC 08:

+ More initial bite (0.15g more braking force in the initial braking zone)
+ Consistent pedal feel from new to worn out
+ Easily able to overwhelm most R-compound tires, even a set of used Michelin slicks

- Takes a few stops to get up to temp on the street, and a few corners on the track
- Generates more heat (changed to Endless RF650 to avoid any problems)
- Hard to modulate until really hot - lots of ABS the first two track days while getting used to the initial bite

Pagid Yellow RS29:

+ Wonderful trail-braking feel, I can be very precise with the braking
+ Rarely get into ABS unless I want to; I didn't even know what Ice Mode was until I switched to PFC's
+ Lasts a long, long time, I can get a full season of tracking out of one set

- Pedal feel deteriorates as the material heat cycles; the car stops, but the pedal doesn't inspire confidence
- Requires more pedal travel to get maximum braking

In summary, I've switched to PFC 08 and won't switch back to Pagid because I love the consistent pedal feel of the PFC's. It took a good two track days to get used to the bite of the PFC's, and even now, I have to ease into the brake zones to avoid ABS. Ultimate braking power is the same for both (most likely due to the tire limiting the g forces; I get -1.1g on RA1's and >-1.3g on slicks).
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Definitely wouldn't run PF01s on the street. Won't get up to operating temp on the street. They will stop the car, but will be very hard on the rotors when cold. For the track, they are awesome once you get used to them.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I switched to PFC 08 after many years of Pagid Yellows...
Very good analysis. I particularly like the "consistent pedal feel". It also took a few sessions to adjust my "technique", but I couldn't be happier.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:51 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

Digging up an old one as I'll need to do front pads and rotors soon.

Seems like a lot of people like to run a more aggressive compound in the rear of these cars to send the bias back a bit. My car is running a larger 350mm in the rear, which should effectively achieve the same result, no?

With this in mind would I be better off running 08 all round of still splitting the compounds. FWIW I've only done one track day and with some fairly heavy braking and ABS engagement at times I never noticed any rear end instability in the braking zones (however no idea what pads are in there currently - not likely PF).

Do PF do a 350mm rotor for the rear of our cars? I have brembo rotors but thinking about a switch to PF as they supposedly last longer.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:03 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With the larger rear rotor, you could get good results running the PF08 front and rear. Lots of guys (myself included) have and do run a more aggressive pad on the rear of the 996 GT3 street and Cup cars. Works well and makes the brakes do a little more work. If want a little more out of the rears, you could run PF08 front and PF11 on the rear. The PF11 replaced the PF01 that is gradually being retired.

I ran this combo on a 996 Cup at a PCA race. Loved the braking. The car stayed flat and there it didn't upset the ABS. I think you will like it.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:03 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
With the larger rear rotor, you could get good results running the PF08 front and rear. Lots of guys (myself included) have and do run a more aggressive pad on the rear of the 996 GT3 street and Cup cars. Works well and makes the brakes do a little more work. If want a little more out of the rears, you could run PF08 front and PF11 on the rear. The PF11 replaced the PF01 that is gradually being retired.

I ran this combo on a 996 Cup at a PCA race. Loved the braking. The car stayed flat and there it didn't upset the ABS. I think you will like it.
Do the cup cars have a larger rear rotor than the street car? Id hate to over do it on the rear bias although it seems that's quite difficult to achieve with these cars. The track that I frequent has a few very heavy braking zones so if I can maximise performance here it would be excellent!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

996 Cups had the same diameter rotors as the street 996 GT3. The rears were smaller. I think 330mm.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:27 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m also wondering PFC vs Pagid (for me, 08 vs RS29). PFCs were sounding pretty tempting, but most of the threads on the subject are old and compared the 01 and 06 to the RS19, and still left some questions unanswered. And then I saw fc-racer’s post (#62, above on this page). He prefered the PFC’s but his observations make Pagids sound better to me: great control in trail braking (where everyone used to say the PFC had a huge edge), don’t take long to warm up, and generate less heat (though I'm wondering what gets hotter, as some have reported PFC transfer less heat to the calipers, brake fluid, etc.).

Anyway, the questions I’m still wondering about are:
1. Do 08s have the same issues with corrosive dust as some older PFCs?
2. How does the noise compare? (No, I won’t change pads between track days – I’ll just switch back to stock when cold weather comes.)
3. Do PFCs still have the modulation/trail-braking control advantage over the RS29s that they were said to have over the RS19s?
4. And is it correct to conclude from fc-racer’s post that the 08s would be worse on the street because they’d be hard to modulate unless very hot, and also would not bite as soon as Pagids in an emergency braking situation?
By the way, in case it makes any difference, I have a 996C2 with stock brakes.

Thanks for any insight into this!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Pagid pads in my opinion don't begin to compete with PFC

01 is still kick *** today and is what I'd put on if lap time was all I cared about but they cracks rotors

06 or 08 are almost as good and easier on rotors

If 97 pads are still made they are not terrible for the street and will get the job done on track

PS This stuff isn't rocket science. Whatever pad stops your car the fastest gets the hottest so as always you pay more for a faster lap time in worn tires, cracked rotors etc...etc....
Old 03-30-2015, 11:58 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

08's here. I run them full time and love the stopping power. They can get squeely, especially as I come to a stop on the street, like the last 50 ft or so. Annoying! I have yet to clean the dust between pas and rotor and around calipers, that may help. All in all I prefer the 08's to the Pagids.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:07 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have RS29s in mine and still plenty of compound left but have noticed more pedal travel recently. Will be switching to 08s soon, have 01 in my Lotus which were fantastic but rotors for the Exige are not as expensive as the GT3!
Old 03-31-2015, 01:31 AM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

PFC is not making 01 or 06 in any Porsche pad shapes. 01 compound and 06 compound came to a conclusion about 18 months ago. 08 replaced 06
and 11 compound has replaced 01.
Most DE guys prefer the 08. 08 lasts longer and gives plenty of initial bite.
Racers prefer the 11 compound. It has a little more initial bite but does not wear as long as the 08.
11 compound is what is being delivered on the 991 Cup car from the factory.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM
Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Curious who, if anyone, is running the 991 pad profile. I'm pretty sure I saw someone say it covers the street rotors fully. The standard PFC profile leaves about 1/4" of unused rotor near the hub.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:07 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
08's here. I run them full time and love the stopping power. They can get squeely, especially as I come to a stop on the street, like the last 50 ft or so. Annoying! I have yet to clean the dust between pas and rotor and around calipers, that may help. All in all I prefer the 08's to the Pagids.
Pagid's are of course not silent either. On my previous car, they sometimes squealed on the street, and the front pads sometimes made a whistling sound on the highway when not braking (though that may have been the fault of the big brake kit, not the pads). Do the 08s get more squeely/make more noise?

(I hope so, because I just ordered some Pagids. I talked to a seller who's given me good advice in the past who sells both (and who had recommended PFCs for my previous car). This time he suggested the Pagids due to noise.)

Still, they won't last forever (though probably a lot longer for me than for many of you!), so I'll face the pad choice again, and I'd still be very interested in the answers to the rest of my 4 questions from above:

1. Do 08s have the same issues with corrosive dust as some older PFCs?
2. How does the noise compare? (No, I won’t change pads between track days – I’ll just switch back to stock when cold weather comes.)
3. Do PFCs still have the modulation/trail-braking control advantage over the RS29s that they were said to have over the RS19s?
4. And is it correct to conclude from fc-racer’s post that the 08s would be worse on the street because they’d be hard to modulate unless very hot, and also would not bite as soon as Pagids in an emergency braking situation?

Quick Reply: PFC 01,06,or 08?