Sponsored by:

Best track tire for novice DE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:31 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damon, You guys need to sell Nitto's.
I recommend anything except the expensive Michelins.
Don't even bother with spare wheels.
Learn the car on "less expensive" street tires so when you move up later you are a better driver. Learn the car well. When it lets go and you have anticipated it or even induced it and are still smiling instead of scared or lucky you caught it it is time to move to Rcomps.
By then maybe Tire Rack will have Nitto's and everyone will be happy!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Number54
Agree with everyone, no r-comps yet.

I have Yokohama AD08s, good LEARNING track tire. My fastest lap is always the first one, so I presume they lose grip more quickly than others. But they squeal nicely so you'll know what's happening before its too late.
I agree

I am a few events ahead of you (10 + 10 AutoX) and have just switched from PS2 to Yoko AD-08. I hope you can feel when the PS2s start to slip or I wouldn't change until you do.

I received the same advice here and at DEs, to make a slow progression to R comps. Many instructors have even warned not to move to NT-01 to soon (before solo).

Only problem is AD-08 can be hard to get, so order them quick while T/R has them.

Last edited by TomGT3; 01-14-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
This converges with what an instructor mentioned to me last summer, where for many years he took pleasure in running tires with the traction of "hard lawnmower wheels" and run those until he could have them scream around every turn of the track.
I followed that instructors advice and I'm quit happy with the results as well
The 2 Chris's are an asset to our region.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

If you are getting a 2nd set of rims why not get some and try an autocross? Safe and get to know what rcomps do at the limit. Autox to be fast u need grippier tires- start with that. Mike
Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Safety first....before upgrading your tires or suspension, upgrade your safety with a roll bar, track seats and harnesses, and of course a HANS device.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:47 AM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS2s are great tires for what you are doing. You should be able to get 12 - 15 trackdays from them. You can improve your skills alot with them. When they start "chunking" is the time to consider moving up to stickier tires. By then you will be above the design limits of the PS2s. Start inspecting your tires between run sessions for: pressure, temp, tread wear. Start recording your lap times and adjust tire pressures to where you like them. Talk to others at the track with; the same tires; the same car; faster lap times. Treat everything you hear with a grain of of salt, including what is on this forum. (Chunking) is when small bits of tread fall off the carcass of the tire. Usually on the outer edge. Sometimes exposing the cords or an inner layer (not the tread layer) of rubber. By small bits, I mean 1/8 inch wide x 3/8 - 1 inch long. You will know it when you see it.
The OZ Allegritas are a good choice for a second set of track wheels.
Very experienced GT3 drivers have told stories of how scary it is driving home in the rain from a trackday with "slight tread depth" R compound tires. Do not risk your car in that way with only 4 track days under your belt!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:01 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Ian I take it you are running fixed back seats half rollcage harness etc? Mike
Originally Posted by Qwickrick
Safety first....before upgrading your tires or suspension, upgrade your safety with a roll bar, track seats and harnesses, and of course a HANS device.
Ian, we're glad you're hooked. Have you set up that separate hidden bank account yet?

Ditto all the comments about staying away from R-comps. Much more is to be gained in car control skill at lower grip levels... with less consequence. Stay on a max performance street tire. Go 'slower' now to go far faster later in a much safer and controlled manner.

As Mike and Rick have mentioned, relax on the go fast mods and parts. Those will come in time. Focus on safety.

To answer you questions:

1. I would stick with OEM sizes to keep things simple. However, since you're picking up another set of rims, you may want to consider going a little wider in the front to give you more options later (9" vs 8.5").

2. R888s are directional... you won't be able to flop wheels from one side of the car to the other without flipping the tire on the rim. MPSC and NT01s are asymmetric... so, you can flop 'em all day long.

Most here probably prefer the NT01 over the MPSC, but I don't have much personal experience driving NT01s. I have tons of seat time on MPSCs and R888s. MPSCs are sweet in the sweet spot, but once cycled, they take forever to heat up. R888s are pretty decent IMHO but they feather like a mother unless you shave 'em.

So, it sounds like NT01 would probably be the best choice for you. But I would stick with a street tire and keep it the same tire as on your other set of rims to give you more options at the circuit. You'll burn rears 2:1 over fronts...

Cheers
Old 01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
Having said that, I just read through Ross Bentley's Speed Secrets over the Christmas vacation, and guess what?
Great minds think alike David; I also just got the Ross Bently book

OP, Great advice here, which distills to: Progress at your own pace.

If you track a lot, you'll be going through lots of tires, so you'll have the opportunity to try lots

I like the Sport Cups, they have become my go-to tire. Got a set in the Spring, and then went through a couple of sets of R6' after the Cups had hardened to hockey puck consistency. Kept the Cups to run around town a bit, and still had them at the end of the season, long after the Hoosiers had expired. Finished the track season on the same Cups I had started it with... and had great fun

BTW, I have the same OZ wheels, and I think that the rears are a bit too narrow for the 315', based on the rounded wear that I've seen on the Hoosiers. I will be trying a set of 295' next.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 PM
ian996gt3
Advanced

Thanks everybody for all the advice and suggestions. Its pretty cool that I can write a question and get so many responses from people all across the globe in such a short period of time.

In terms of safety - yes, I will be running porsche GT3 Recaros, harnesses, and a Tequipment roll bar. These items were not in the car last year, but are sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.

I certainly appreciate the advice to wait a while longer before moving to R compound tires. Perhaps I will wait... I still have some time to think about it before the season starts. That said, my PS2s aren't exactly brand new and I am planning my schedule to get to as many track days as possible this year (hoping for 12+ days). So I am pretty sure the PS2s will not make it through the whole season. Two of my four instructors have suggested that I upgrade to more track oriented tires.

Nitto NT-01 users: Have you experienced any issues running the larger 315 rear tires? Is the 11.5 inch wheel really big enough to run a 315 rear tire? (i.e Have people experienced the same "rounded wear" that FFaust has?)

Toyo Proxes R888 users: Is there a significant difference between running 295 rears vs 315? Does the extra width result in more grip? Or is it better to stick with the stock tire sizes?

Thanks again for everyones comments.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nah, screw waiting

Get the Nittos now and enjoy the grip these cars deserve

I'd run 235s in front in less you have enough negative camber and space to avoid rubbing
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

235 or 245 in front with 315 in the rear. I ran 315's on both the 11" and 11.5" wheels.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:19 PM
ian996gt3
Advanced

Sorry - I meant the 11 inch wheel above (i.e. stock rear wheel size), not the 11.5 inch I stated in my previous post.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

315 are fine, I just want to try 295 R6' to see if it gives me a different wear pattern. Get what is available to you; I would love to try the Nittos, but they are very expensive in Canada.

Whatever you get, try to be carefull with the diameter. The 996 likes similar front and rear, or larger front.

Last edited by FFaust; 01-16-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

imho stick with ps2's til you are screeching all around the track..really helps to learn throttle steering, etc...i knew i was ready for r comps when after about 4 yrs on ps2 i corded a fresh set of ps2's in one day....

mike
Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Watch the video.

Quick Reply: Best track tire for novice DE?