Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 05:53 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
Well firstly, as has been said, you can't buy a new shell from Porsche AG. There maybe a source in Germany, but historically they're not the cheapest supplier of NOS Porsche parts.
And you think that making good the corrosion on an eleven year old car will ultimately be superior to a new bodyshell ?

With a more modern design, superior production methods and a better understanding of how to avoid corrosion with the use of superior paint and sealing products, there's no reason any 996 that is looked after properly and inspected regularly shouldn't be longer lasting than any of the cars built by Porsche previously

I somehow doubt it will add any significant value. A Mk 1 GT3 is worth anything between £30K and £44K in the UK (depending on condition and mileage) Taking your £35K GT3 and having this work done will not increase it's value by the amount spent on the rectification work. It will however ensure the value of your investment is protected in the future.
Couple of good points to consider there H.

I always find it interesting how enthusiasts in general differentiate their perceived value of late model RS variants to the old models like the 2.7RS. I doubt that there is a 2.7RS on the road that has all its original panels, indeed I would guess that most have had new wings, quarters, sills, kidney bowls front panels, boot floors and side floor sections welded into their "original" shell - yet this does not stop buyers paying £250,000 for the honour of owning one; but here we are looking at 964RS/993RS/GT3RS variants and everyone is warned off buying a damaged car that has had a quarter panel & wing replaced because it is "not original". I'll never understand that one. However the point of my comment is that this dual standard to Porsche ownership illustrates that historically it is always preferred to have as many original parts as possible to preserve the value of the car - and the largest part is the bodyshell (even though the only truly original parts may be the roof and bulkhead).

I also agree that GT3's in general should have been made better and should be perfectly fine if looked after correctly. But, given the state of some of the 3's and RS's that have been through our shop over the last couple of years, I think this car may be the best indicator of the problems that lie in wait and the rectification process that will become common practise in the near future.

As for value, you are right that a chassis refurb would add nominal value to a GT3 in general but may ensure that the car achieve top book figures if it were sold. In this case, restoring the floor and chassis is adding significant value to the owner irrespective of costs incurred, simply because once he knew it was bad he could not consider leaving the corrosion or indeed passing the car on to an unsuspecting new owner.

Regards.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:48 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 231 Posts

'Tis as you say strange. A 964 RS owner on PH was concerned that his car, (which had been involved in an accident some years ago) might be worth less than others on the market, this despite the repairs having been fully documented and carried out my a very well known and respected Porsche restoration company.

I think the internet has had a massive impact when it comes to buying limited production run Porsches.
Previously damaged cars that had been well repaired, sold without an issue.

Now a quick post requesting information on car registration number ******* on any of the well known UK forums brings forth information that previously may have only been available to a few. Frequently if pushed a photo of the car will be produced in it's crashed state at the circuit the car was crashed at (perhaps we have the advent of the camera phone to thank for that !)

As you've said, there won't be many all original panel 2.7 RSs out there, but it doesn't seem to have impacted on their value !

Ultimately the 964/993 RS and the Mk1 996 GT3s will attain the same status as the hallowed 2.7 RS. Even the worst cars will become worth salvaging and thus will always have an intrinsic value irrespective of their history.

The Mk1 GT3 is now in the same place as the 964 RS was in 1999-2001, cheap (ish) but there are plenty out there that are well past their best and need in excess of 30% of their retail value spending on them to bring them back up to standard.

The work you're carrying out to Bens at the moment seems overkill, but I'm sure ultimately will prevent either him or it's next owner having to carry out a 2.7RS esque ground up shell rennovation in years to come !
Old 11-24-2011, 09:39 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Atgani
The work you're carrying out to Bens at the moment seems overkill, but I'm sure ultimately will prevent either him or it's next owner having to carry out a 2.7RS esque ground up shell rennovation in years to come !
Overkill?

You bet. When Marc's on the case you can be sure that the job gets done properly or not at all.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:41 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chassis parts are being subjected to a good steam clean before refitting.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2011, 09:43 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

.... and the shell is now painted, baked and ready for de-masking. Looking good.
Attached Images      
Old 11-24-2011, 10:07 AM
all2ofme
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YUM. Looking great, Colin!

Do you have a shot of the car rotated 90ş about its longitudinal axis? Have one from beforehand, so would be great to have a pre/post to feel good about.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:46 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've been in and out of the office for the last two days, however I'll try and organise one for tomorrow before the guys lift the shell off the spit. Might be 85-95deg, will that do?
Old 11-24-2011, 02:18 PM
all2ofme
Track Day

Your post a bit further up makes it sound like Marc wouldn't tolerate anything other than exactly perpendicular to the ground, Colin.

I'm loving this thread - great way to keep me out of your hair too - pretty much daily updates with pics!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:22 AM
all2ofme
Track Day

Colin:
I mentioned a possible coolant pipe issue to Peter, something I'd read about on here and heard about from other friends. Lots of people seem to have opinions on what needs to be done about it (if anything).

Here's a few example fixes from this side of the pond:
http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic...eak+prevention

What are your thoughts on the matter? I'm guessing a fix is a heap easier with the engine out.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OK, vertical it is then. Took a while to find a spirit level but when we did I think the boys used it wisely.

Have to admit that there is more colour on it than intended, however it is pretty difficult to judge the extent of overspray when wearing a full closure suit & mask in the heat of the paint boot, so perhaps we can forgive Phil for his overexhuberance?
Attached Images     
Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In parallel to the painting, Richard has been working away at the pile of suspension components. The steel parts have been blasted and painted black already whilst the aluminium parts have just been grit blased clean ready for their coat of silver two pack.

Note that we left the old wheel bearings in the carriers to protect the bore during blasting, the bearings will be replaced before painting.
Attached Images   
Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 AM
all2ofme
Track Day

Looks great. Would rather a healthy Phil than a floorpan that looks identical to stock

Will be interesting to see how the top of the car compares to its nether regions...

Here's the same angle on a pic taken beforehand.
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

More paint = more protection.

I love this project.

Cheers,
Old 11-29-2011, 03:56 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Service pipes are now all cleaned & painted, nicely lined up next to the lift ready to be refitted tomorrow.

Furthemore, with the owner not wanting to leave any stone unturned, we're now welding new water pipe spigots into the water pump and housings whilst the engine is out of the car. Hence the engine is now down to longblock with the required parts removed ready for welding.
Attached Images   
Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

After all of that work, are you going to buff up the lump?

Quick Reply: 9m chassis & floorpan restoration of 996GT3