Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9m chassis & floorpan restoration of 996GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Charlie Boy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooh sounds a bit worrying, I assume this is something you guy's can do? The only problem is my car is still under Porsche extended warranty and I wonder if they might see this as a modification and wriggle out of claims.

Last edited by Charlie Boy; 11-04-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I doubt that even Porsche would use protecting your car from corrosion as an excuse for not supporting a mechanical warranty claim, however I'm not sure about how they cover bodywork under an extended scheme? I think lifetime on bodywork is subject to annual inspections/etc. which most owners have long passed having done.

Either way, the fact is that this kind of corrosion is not an isolated case as we have seen the start of similar issues on quite a few 996GT3RS, so the real debate is how long to leave it before you decide to do something about it?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:27 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What a job....

Working in the English winter weather does not help, so all week we have had the shell under the radiant heater whilst working on it to prevent moisture build up on the clean metal before we could finally get it into the booth. Neil then fully cleaned and bagged the car before Marc and Phil carried on with the major area preparation using rotary pad sanders.
Attached Images    
Old 11-11-2011, 02:31 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This morning Phil finished off where Marc had left off, had a monster clean up, then hit the floor with etch and grey primer, specially mixed & tinted to match the colour of the original E-coat. The primer has now been baked & will be left drying all weekend. Note that whilst the etch is completely matt, the primer has a slightly satin finish.
Attached Images     
Old 11-11-2011, 03:43 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

1 word: amazing !
Old 11-11-2011, 05:51 PM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

fantastic work ... contemplating the cost frightens me though, especially as I think about driving my car through the Winter months here in the mid-Eastern US.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great thread!

Right now I am pretty glad that I live in California where it never snows and there is no road salt
Old 11-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joshd
fantastic work ... contemplating the cost frightens me though, especially as I think about driving my car through the Winter months here in the mid-Eastern US.
Don't do it! That's what old Subarus are for. Salt is the ultimate killer of cars. Porsches are terrible in the snow anyways. A rusty Subaru or Ford Explorer is perfect for a winter beater.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Tonyb66
1st Gear

I think Porsche might need to reconsider their lightening procedures and actually paint the bottoms to prevent this rusting occurring in the first place. I don't know how much extra weight they save by not painting the bottom of these cars, but the resulting corrosion is quite scary and probably not worth the weight saving if this is what happens.

Nice work Ninemiester, great attention to detail.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:18 AM
all2ofme
Track Day

It's looking great, Colin - so nice to see it progressing. Wish I could come up and see it first hand. Probably good for you guys I live so far away, or I'd be there bothering you all for a fresh peek!

It'll be lovely to have it back and know the underside is in such great nick.

Ben
Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Welcome on board, Ben!

With the benefit of a weekend to harden off, the primer was flatted off by Oqqy yesterday and this morning before he started the detail seam sealing with the PU adhesive gun. Fortunately it is easy to see where you have been with black sealer on a grey car....
Attached Images     
Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 AM
redgt3
Intermediate

great, thanks Colin....
just going outside now to get my GT3 up on a ramp to have a look at it ...

Nice to see someone doing a 'proper' job to fix a problem

David
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 AM
all2ofme
Track Day

Worth having a really good poke around. Even take some bits off.

I had several people look under mine and say it was fine, but it was only when Colin's guys started taking bits off that it showed how much attention it needed. Fingers crossed yours is better!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OK, other jobs finally out of the way, the GT3 is back in the paint booth for final painting. With all the underside of the shell first primered, flatted and seam sealed, next job is to apply another light coat of primer over everything before applying the e-coat replica finish of satin grey two-pack over the top which will be applied wet-on-wet for maximum adhesion. The final coats of yellow will be fully painted around the wheel arches areas and blown across for the factory oversprayed look.

Photos show the first coat primer finish and the detail repair of the back edge of the boot floor.
Attached Images    
Old 11-18-2011, 02:50 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Finally painted

Primer and grey paint: done! It definitely looks a darn sight better than it did when we started.

The new finish has been baked in the booth but we're leaving it to harden off over the weekend before applying the beige seam sealer to reduce the slight risk of solvent pickling of the new paint.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 9m chassis & floorpan restoration of 996GT3