Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:06 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkirshner
what does it mean to have spacers or shims for the calipers thanks

996 iron brakes = 350 mm front rotor diameter, 330 mm rear diameter
996 ceramic brakes, and 997 iron, and 997 ceramic all use 350 mm front and 350 mm rear.

So if you want to use the 350 mm rear rotors on a 996 that came with 330 mm rear rotors then you need to shim the caliper 10 mm out further from the center of the hub. The radius of the rotor is 10 mm larger, which equals 20 mm increased diameter.
This will add a little extra grip to the rear caliper. Also some people run a grippier rear pad to attempt the same thing. And some people leave it up to Porsche and change nothing.

p.s. I got over 10,000 track miles out of the stock rear rotors and over 6 sets of front rotors in the same time frame. Replacement cost for rears is hardly an issue for the 996 GT3. 997 has more rear wear for pads and rotors so cost is a bigger factor.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 PM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you very much makes sense now
Old 01-25-2012, 02:39 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,518 Likes on 2,096 Posts

Are the 996 cup rear rotors the same size as the OEM as far as direct bolt up? Any thickness differences?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:21 PM
chrisferrari
1st Gear

i have a 2001 gt2 with 32k miles. 20k i put on myself and had no brake problems. Just started eating pads up on normal street driving, went thru 2 sets of pads in 200miles. then put on a used set of ceramic rotors in better condition than my original set and they eat up pads too. I had the calipers rebuilt after the second set of pads and they do not hang up while driving. The new pads started eating up the rotors making them rough and wearing the pads down very quickly. The pads are factory for ceramic? Anyone have problems with pccb brakes like this?
Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

When I got my car it had pccb's on it. I was going through pads real fast. A day at the track and the pads were done. Maybe the pccb disk were cooked. In any case I switched to iron and problem solved.

J
Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rotors/shims

Its pretty simple ,really ,the calipers are mounted to ,I guess, the wheel hub and it's a simple as using a properly sized washer to move the caliper slightly away from the hat of the rotor .Whoever said use the stock rears is right the 996 GT 3 is very easy on the rear brakes .cheers HOM
Old 07-15-2012, 01:20 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by chrisferrari
i have a 2001 gt2 with 32k miles. 20k i put on myself and had no brake problems. Just started eating pads up on normal street driving, went thru 2 sets of pads in 200miles. then put on a used set of ceramic rotors in better condition than my original set and they eat up pads too. I had the calipers rebuilt after the second set of pads and they do not hang up while driving. The new pads started eating up the rotors making them rough and wearing the pads down very quickly. The pads are factory for ceramic? Anyone have problems with pccb brakes like this?
Chris, it was nice speaking with you yesterday and I look forward to helping you with the PCCB issue. Last night I emailed the numbers on some options.
After, looking at the photos you emailed I can say that the rotors on the car now are Toast... The ceramic layer is almost gone... the substrate layer which the ceramic is applied upon is so abrasive that is eats your pads.

Based on your application of high speed driving and High Hp... The 2 piece steel Professional series rotor assemblies are your best option. They will hold up under the extreme conditions and have a lower operating cost compared to the PCCB system.

Look forward to talking again this week.
Chris
Old 07-15-2012, 02:22 PM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have stock OEM rear disks on my RS and have done 50 k miles with them on using Pagid RS19 pads, the disks are just about ready for replacement based on thickness and the pads are good with 50% wear.

There is no need to use anything else but stock OEM disks on the rear of a 996 GT3.

On the front I have Alcon disks with RS19 Pagid pads.

The Alcon disks last at least 25k miles. That includes track days Nurburgring/Spa/Monza/Imola/Budapest and UK tracks, car is always driven to the tracks - not trailered.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Thread revival...

Two questions;
1. Are there new rear disc options to consider nowadays? ATE?

2. How many folks here have converted from 330 to 350mm rear discs? Are there spacer kits easily available?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:34 PM
solonng
Intermediate

I use Zimmerman and Pagid RS 29 brake pads..chances are the rs29 will wear out the rotors so why spend money on expensive rotors..i don't track my car even though i drive it hard..
Old 05-15-2014, 12:58 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

I have some 997 gt3 rear rotors oem w plenty of life I'm willing to part for 109+ shipping or I have done beautiful 2pc 350 I can offer for a great deal if you do a review.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:19 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
Thread revival...

Two questions;
1. Are there new rear disc options to consider nowadays? ATE?

2. How many folks here have converted from 330 to 350mm rear discs? Are there spacer kits easily available?
1) No...at least not low cost options.

2) You should be able to get the spacers directly from the manufacture of the larger disks. Girodisc includes them. Longer bolts are more of a pain than the spacers. FWIW Girodisc is a little optimistic on the weight savings of their rear rotors. my real world findings are more like 1.5 lbs saved per corner vs. the 4 lbs they claim

I have Enrique's (F1CrazyDriver) front rotors on my car now and I'm very happy with them. I will do a full write-up after I get a little more seat time on them these next couple weekends and have a good impression of how they are wearing. They were on the dot the weight they were supposed to be and exactly as described. Had I not already had the Girodisc rears I would have gone with Engique's rears as well.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:20 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
FWIW Girodisc is a little optimistic on the weight savings of their rear rotors. my real world findings are more like 1.5 lbs saved per corner vs. the 4 lbs they claim
The latest version on the Girodisc rear 350mm slotted rotors with hats and hardware weigh 16.4 lbs. Not sure what the OEM 350 rotors weigh but I think they are around 20 lbs each.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:29 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
1) No...at least not low cost options.

2) You should be able to get the spacers directly from the manufacture of the larger disks. Girodisc includes them. Longer bolts are more of a pain than the spacers. FWIW Girodisc is a little optimistic on the weight savings of their rear rotors. my real world findings are more like 1.5 lbs saved per corner vs. the 4 lbs they claim

I have Enrique's (F1CrazyDriver) front rotors on my car now and I'm very happy with them. I will do a full write-up after I get a little more seat time on them these next couple weekends and have a good impression of how they are wearing. They were on the dot the weight they were supposed to be and exactly as described. Had I not already had the Girodisc rears I would have gone with Engique's rears as well.
Andrew, thank you for the kinds words. I'm eagerly waiting your review. Yes out fronts weight 18.6lbs each side

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The latest version on the Girodisc rear 350mm slotted rotors with hats and hardware weigh 16.4 lbs. Not sure what the OEM 350 rotors weigh but I think they are around 20 lbs each.
Cool. My rear's also weight 16.4 lbs with floating hardware IIRC.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I have an older version. My rear 350mm Girodisc is 18 lbs and the 330mm rotors that came off of my car were 19.4. Still lighter, still has great benefits. It may be in my head but the rear of the car seems more stable under braking after going from the 330 to 350 setup.

Quick Reply: rear brake rotors