Milltek Exhaust: Not happy with it

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:54 AM
RSRS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milltek Exhaust: Not happy with it

Hi everybody

My car have a Milltek Exhaust (manifold, racecats, backbox = full system).

But the car sounds not nice. It's sounds like a normal loud 996 Carrera, definitly not like a GT3. It's sounds very deep, monotone.

I think also, the whole system is restrictive. Maybe the cats are done?!

Now I'm thinking about a new system.

Are here more people which are also not happy with Milltek on there GT3? A friend of mine is driving with a full cargraphic system. That sounds amazing! Not deep, more hoarsely. More like the new 997 GT3. I like that sound much more.

Cheers
RSRS

Last edited by RSRS; 08-15-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 AM
RSRS
Intermediate

Last edited by RSRS; 08-15-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. Not sure about Milltek, but there are lots of praises for the cargraphic system on this site.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 AM
jlasuncion
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you heard cargraphic and like it, I suggest you go for that...I'm waiting for mine to arrive
Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I looked into the Milltek system but could never find sound clips. Couple of members here on the board had them way back in '05 but are no longer active here. It sounds like from your description I wouldn't like the sound of it either though. Sad becasue on paper the Milltek seems like one of the few systems that would actually make power on our cars based on it's specs (66mm diameter pipes, 100 cell race cats, etc).

For a higher pitched sound you need a mid pipe with an x design to create the harmonics you're after. The cargraphic system has this as do a few other high end systems. One of the cars I drove when I was looking to purchase also had a custom exhaust with x-pipe and the sound was just amazing, I didn't want to stop driving it.

Fabspeed offers an x-pipe now for the '6 GT3 at a very tempting price point, and I've heard clips of it mated with their max flow mufflers and think the sound is amazing, however their whole system is only 60mm. Several other tuners also use 60mm (2 1/4") tubing in their systems as well but I've been advised from a couple reliable sources that it's best on these cars to use 66mm tubing if using a system that is the same length overall as the OEM system.

I'm likely going to go custom exhaust over this winter when my good friend who is a fabricator is bored and has nothing better to do

Andy
Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

go cargraphic, europipe, or gmg wc
Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 AM
RSRS
Intermediate

Thanks for your feedbacks!

There is another option:

It's the FVD Racing-System:

This system makes also this high pitched sound. Sounds more like the new 997 GT3 RS.

Other possibility would be to customize the Milltek with a x-pipe. This x-pipe seems to be the part on the exhaust who makes the high pichted sound.

The only problem with the FVD (in the Video) is: 103 db. It's too loud for most of the racetracks here in Europe.

GMG and Europipe also have this very deep tone like a normal Carrera.

Custom exhaust would also be a possibility. OEM manifold (the cups also use the same manifold), X-pipe with racekats and a small backbox. But I have no idea what I should do now.

I'm sure, only the cargraphic backbox will not make a high pitched sound?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

The one car I looked at had basically the same exhaust as this FVD setup, it was just custom fabricated instead of pre-bought like the FVD unit, used Burns racing mufflers and no cats. The issue was that with larger diameter tubing, no cats and lack of side mufflers the sysem had no back pressure and the car suffered a pretty large torque loss in the lower RPM's. Ran VERY VERY good in the upper revs, but was really noticably lacking torque compared to stock in the lower rev ranges. It was also obviously very loud but was still music to my ears. Obviously that system was extremely light weight as well.

I also drove a car with an exhaust from a company called PSI Motorsports. They are no longer in business as a porsche tuner, this system had headers, center x-pipe with 100 cell cats and side mufflers. It's very similar to the cargraphic R- system and that car suffered very little if any loss in low end torque compared to factory while still having great sound and power in the upper RPM ranges.

If it's a street car still like mine is I think retaining a side muffler of some sort is both important to keep noise levels acceptable and to help retain torque in the lower RPM ranges.

Andy
Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Too bad about Milltek. I had one on my Audi S4 and it was perfect for me. Not too loud, but it really opened up the top end. No drone.

Andy, I'll be eager to see what you can get fabricated. I'd like a better sound and also would like to lose some weight.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Paul2x
Rennlist Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but to get that 7GT3 "higher pitch" note from the 6gt3 you really need to change the Manifolds (headers).

Even w/ a system like the FDV, the cars in the vid's are also running aftermarket manifolds correct?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 AM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 70 Posts

GMG makes a great product. The cup exhaust changes the entire driving experience. I'm very happy with my system.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by Paul2x
Correct me if I'm wrong but to get that 7GT3 "higher pitch" note from the 6gt3 you really need to change the Manifolds (headers).
Pretty sure that's not the case. The 996 Cup cars used a manifold that's nearly identical to the street GT3 unit. Pretty certain the center exit single muffler unit mixed gas flows giving the higher pitched sound on the 996 cup cars. 997 street and cup have a slightly different design manifold but again mix exhaust in a center muffler prior to exit. Even the aftermarket center muffler delete kits have a balance pipe in them.

996 Street system is the only one that never combines exhaust gases anywhere in the system. Completely separate from exhaust port to exhaust tip.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Paul2x
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input AudiOn19's.. good info.....go bucks! osu alumni here.

Originally Posted by SoCalDan
GMG makes a great product. The cup exhaust changes the entire driving experience. I'm very happy with my system.
Which system of theirs do you have?
-WC Sport Muffler set? or.
-WC Sport Center section with sport cats?

All of the GMG systems I've heard on the 6gt3 still retain a variance the street 6gt3 stock-ish rumble, as displayed in their vids, not the high pitch howle of the 6gt3's in the FDV' rally vids.

The only street car i've seen to have that cup car banchie note was PJS996GT3's old car and 007DT's new car with custom set-up both utilizing new manifolds,

Or the Kressigg 6gt3 system that also utilizes new manifolds.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

material
diameter
length
thickness of the tubes
mufflers / chambers design
cats

all alter the pitch (and volume)

Biggest effect though comes from connecting the two cylinder sides.Then it sounds like a 6cyl engine..
Old 08-23-2011, 03:49 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I'm not a huge fan of the sound of the GMG WC muffers either, too deep and remind me of muffler bypass I had and grew to dislike on my old car.

However, here's a video of their WC mufflers mated to their x-pipe center section with 200 cell race cats and it sounds pretty darn nice. Again I attribute the x-pipe to being the key to the sound.

Maybe Im crazy but what I don't get is most of these systems are all still 2.25" pipe just like the standard 996 exhausts for 3.4 and 3.6l carreras. Funny the only ones that everyone agrees make power (cargraphic r-system and europipe) are both 2.5" though.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ust-video.html

Quick Reply: Milltek Exhaust: Not happy with it