Sponsored by:

can anyone chime in... 996TT vs GT2

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Carpyourdiem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chiming In

Have you pulled the purchasing trigger yet? I use my '03 GT2 a lot like you propose to use yours...mostly street, some track. My 2 came after 17 years in 911s (SC and 993 C2) both street/track cars, and I always saw the 996 GT2 as the ultimate 911 in that it's simple, rwd, light. The car was a dream/goal/fantasy for me and my wife. Every time we drive it one of says "If we wreck it tomorrow, it's been worth every penny." (Um...whoever's driving it also says "Holy **** this thing's fast..."...every time we drive it.) I'm saying that if you see the 2 as special and iconic and desirable, you will not be disappointed in any way. Along with these attributes, it is a driveable Supercar with A/C that freezes your ***, decent mileage, good luggage space and a look that blends into the crowd better than a 430.
Downsides are a front lip that is very low and requires forethought, a "sporty" ride (some say harsh) and a throttle that has to be respected due to a lack of TC. Remember that you're building boost as well as rpm...slow, linear foot.
Many of the 2's attributes apply to the TT as well and it's almost impossible to fault the TT. I've been in them on street and track. I'm sure heading home on a sleet-filled night would be a wonderful time to own a TT...but getting home on that same night in your GT2 would be a wild-eyed grin-fest.
It's crazy fast...but catchable (so far)... I hope my one-sided opinion helps you spend your money, keep us posted. Nick
Old 08-02-2011, 03:59 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FFaust
You should have asked

But you are right, it starts with "just this little piece", then that one, and then, well I came this far, I should probably also do this, and the first thing you know, bingo... "I shoulda".

Don't worry, we all do it.
Exactly what i did... Hence, why I gave up my highly modded turbo for my RUF GT2... 4 years in, still makes me say, "this thing is just STUPID, *giggles*"

Quick Reply: can anyone chime in... 996TT vs GT2