Sponsored by:

Difference of J-class vs stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference of J-class vs stock

Curious as to major differences. Mostly weight? Heard that the winner of the recent race at VIR ran a 2:03.8 on R6s. Sounds very impressive.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the J class is a stock class, that is, not "prepared". Lots of changes can be made to the car except drivetrain, basic body, etc. Lots of J class racers have "enhanced" their cars with suspension, and other mods, yet the car remains classed as "stock". Weight limits are published, along with the so-called "free" mods (none of which are free) in the Club Racing Rules on the PCA website http://www.pca.org/Activities/ClubRa...singForms.aspx
Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Rceron
Racer

Thanks. Will look at the link you provided.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Ray, the "lettered" classes are stock AND prepared but depends on what mods the driver does. The car slots into a stock class and is given a list of things that are allowed to be done on the car. Then there is a small list of additional items you can take advantage of by moving up 1 class. Two "classes" of cars would slot into J.....Those that run J "stock" and those that run J "prepared". J prepared would be those in I that took advantage of both the stock class rules and the prepared rules.

Honestly, they really need to change the name of the classes. Calling them stock is a joke. Running gutted interiors, full cages, remote canister Moton's, Hoosier slicks, LWFW, beefier ARB's, monoball everything, , wider wheels and tires than stock, etc, etc, etc.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Rceron
Racer

Interesting. Well, I don't think I need to worry about this for another 3 -5 yrs I guess it puts things in perspective though.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:40 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
Ray, the "lettered" classes are stock AND prepared but depends on what mods the driver does. The car slots into a stock class and is given a list of things that are allowed to be done on the car. Then there is a small list of additional items you can take advantage of by moving up 1 class. Two "classes" of cars would slot into J.....Those that run J "stock" and those that run J "prepared". J prepared would be those in I that took advantage of both the stock class rules and the prepared rules.

Honestly, they really need to change the name of the classes. Calling them stock is a joke. Running gutted interiors, full cages, remote canister Moton's, Hoosier slicks, LWFW, beefier ARB's, monoball everything, , wider wheels and tires than stock, etc, etc, etc.
Wow - you can do all that in Stock class??? Although, how much competition is in that class...
Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 AM
Rceron
Racer

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Wow - you can do all that in Stock class??? Although, how much competition is in that class...
I believe it's still in its infancy. thought I heard there were 5 cars in the June race at VIR. 3 or more cars in the 2:05s or less.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

There is rarely anybody in J so I would have to say that it was an anomaly that there were 5 entrants in J for VIR. Especially with the overall attendance in the toilet. I sold my GT3 for that very reason and picked a car to run in G. At the time G was typically the second largest group in the stock classes behind the always well attended E class. "Racing" against 1 or 2 (or especially nobody else in class) isn't racing. Sure, you can mix it up with cars in other classes. But why? It's not for class.

For the VIR race.....Sprint 1 had 5 drivers with drivers 2-5 a lap or more down with fast lap of 205. Sprint 2 had 4 (2 of them DNF) with fast lap of 205. Enduro had 2 drivers with fast lap of 208. All qualifying was 205+ with only 1 driver breaking 205 (203.8). That can't be any fun winning by those margins. Some of those Specbox groups on the west coast (and central) have had 20-30+ entrants with many guys finishing with tenths of a second!

Everybody has their definition of racing. For me, I can't rationalize racing against those low numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast on track for the few races I ran and the rush was amazing. But, and this is a big but....when I actually thought (which I had 9 months to do while the spec boxster was being built) about what it was costing me to race versus what I was getting out of it, the answer became obvious (for me). Time to sell. Decided to go back to DE with my weekend car and can honestly say I am having way more fun with the wallet thanking me every single day.

If I go back racing, I will be VERY careful as to decide where to race and what class. I want large numbers with close racing.

Quick Reply: Difference of J-class vs stock