Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSD Shot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:27 AM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done... Check here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ferrerid=15725
Old 10-08-2011, 11:32 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Wow... I may consider doing this. That's not bad at all.

Is this an install that can be done @ home? Scale of 1-10? (I have a lift @ my house)
Difficulty on a 1-10... 6

Oh, you have a lift, then it's a 3
Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 AM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Q&A
I dare to say my OEM LSD is still working reasonably ok after 45K street miles and 10K track miles (those are mine). When i park my car in reverse, and in need of a full lock turn, my LSD still stutters, bounces and makes noise like a 1940 ***** Jeep.

And the final, only way, to really test (measure) it, is with a torque wrench (taking the drive shafts off)
Prior to taking it out for repair, you should do this anyway to be even more sure. I also did that 5000 miles ago and it was still within Porsche's tolerances proving that not all LSD's are being shot after 16K miles ;-)

I don't think the stuttering when reversing indicates that the LSD is working. My car does the same, and the diff also squeekes in slow, thight foreward turns. My car has effectively an open diff (car has done under 20k miles): First of all, when having the car up on a lift the rear wheels spins in opposite directions. This of course only proves that there is absolutely no preload, but I also did a "real world test" I think is valid.
When driving up som very steep, thight hairpin turns (12-15% uphill 180 degree turns) the inner rear wheel lifted clean off the road for a long time in every turn. When the wheel was in the air I had no traction out of the turn, and when it finally came down the car shot foreward leaving a singel stripe of rubber marks after the inner wheel was finally gripping. This happened in several turns, going both right and left.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Wow... I may consider doing this. That's not bad at all.

Is this an install that can be done @ home? Scale of 1-10? (I have a lift @ my house)
It's a major PIA, but doable. With a lift, easier on the upper body (I would imagine). Pulling the L axle, easier still. Not complicated at all, just difficult to access and work around hoses, axle, etc.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:24 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, I'd use the factory technique as the only test. Slight tail wagging on hard braking does not in an of itself indicate a screwed diff. From Post #1; "Very unstable", is tough to quantify. GL

Quick Reply: LSD Shot?