Sponsored by:

questions from new GT3 owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:45 PM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default questions from new GT3 owner

So I think I gave Seth enough ribbing on his 'No More GT3' thread, but the truth is I feel very lucky to have been able to purchase his car. It's an awesome performer, and it doesn't look bad either.

I have a few immediate noobish questions that I need to throw out there and hopefully receive some advice:

Tires:

I failed inspection today due to having no tread left on the MP Sport Cup rears. So I need to at least replace the rears which are 305/30-19. Unfortunately, I don't know the width of the HRE wheels ... Seth if you're looking at this, do you remember? The 305s seems to fit well minus a little bit of rubbing against the inner fender well on major bumps (I guess more a function of ride height versus tire width?). So I think I should replace them with the same size. Tires in that size run a wide price range. At the low end running $230/per are the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110s and up much higher at $440/per are the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Obviously I'm inclined to go with the Michelin's, but should I consider the Hankooks at all? They are relatively cheap ... Or something else in between like the Conti DWs at $264 or S-04 Pole Positions at $353?

The MPSC fronts still have some decent tread, but will it be OK to mix something like the MPSS rears with MPSC fronts or is that a disaster waiting to happen? I guess I'm concerned about getting caught out in the rain and having traction in the rear but not in the front ... Should I just replace all four and save the MPSC fronts for when I get a set of Comp tires for the rear to match for track duty?

Oil:

Seth mentioned that the car is due for an oil change. I've contacted a local trusted shop and have an appt. for next Friday. He mentioned using Motul oil since I told him I'll be tracking the car. Is that worth it or should I just stick with the Castrol?

Air filter:

I'm told that the air filter is the original unit from 2005. Should it be replaced? I'm not looking to modify the airbox at this time so I was thinking about just using the drop-in BMC filter ... good idea or no? Do the paper filters break down over time even if not driven (car is still under 10k miles) or should it be OK?

Exhaust:

I know it's probably not worth doing anything to the exhaust as it sounds great and makes plenty of power stock. However a friend of mine mentioned that he has a friend with a 6GT3 who installed the GMG mufflers (I think ... not sure if he also has the center section with high flow cats) and that it sounds unreal. At the very least it would drop some weight from the rear. Clearly I'm just looking for an excuse to spend money but I'm curious on the opinions here.

Stereo:

I'm driving the car a few days a week at least during the summer and really miss my satellite radio. What's the easiest way to add this capability - or just an iPhone/iPod hookup - to the car without hacking it up and without adding too much weight or in any way devaluing the car? The problem for me is that this is a slippery slope ... if I get a new head unit, I'll probably want better speakers, and those may need an amp, and then I might realize there's no bass, etc.

Rattles:

Obviously the car is very raw and makes all sort of glorious sounds. There is one annoying rattle though coming from the headlight dial. Has anyone experienced this and is there an easy fix?

Also when idling, I think there is something like a heat shield rattle somewhere in the vicinity of the left muffler. Although it might just be flywheel chatter which would be fine. If it's a heat shield and I can tighten it up, that would be great though. Is this common? I'm going to a shop this Friday for the oil change and overall inspection so we'll take a look but I was looking for any quick tips regarding common issues ...

Thanks for any and all input,
Josh
Old 06-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by joshd
So I think I gave Seth enough ribbing on his 'No More GT3' thread, but the truth is I feel very lucky to have been able to purchase his car. It's an awesome performer, and it doesn't look bad either.

Tires:

I failed inspection today ... Obviously I'm inclined to go with the Michelin's,... Should I just replace all four and save the MPSC fronts for when I get a set of Comp tires for the rear to match for track duty?..
Yup, Michelin's.

Oil:

Seth mentioned that the car is due for an oil change. I've contacted a local trusted shop and have an appt. for next Friday. He mentioned using Motul oil since I told him I'll be tracking the car. Is that worth it or should I just stick with the Castrol?
Mobil 1 or Redline.

Air filter:

I'm told that the air filter is the original unit from 2005. Should it be replaced? I'm not looking to modify the airbox at this time so I was thinking about just using the drop-in BMC filter ... good idea or no? Do the paper filters break down over time even if not driven (car is still under 10k miles) or should it be OK?
Paper is fine, BMC or K&N better.

Exhaust:

I know it's probably not worth doing anything to the exhaust as it sounds great and makes plenty of power stock. However a friend of mine mentioned that he has a friend with a 6GT3 who installed the GMG mufflers (I think ... not sure if he also has the center section with high flow cats) and that it sounds unreal. At the very least it would drop some weight from the rear. Clearly I'm just looking for an excuse to spend money but I'm curious on the opinions here.
Europipe.

Stereo:

I'm driving the car a few days a week at least during the summer and really miss my satellite radio. What's the easiest way to add this capability - or just an iPhone/iPod hookup - to the car without hacking it up and without adding too much weight or in any way devaluing the car? The problem for me is that this is a slippery slope ... if I get a new head unit, I'll probably want better speakers, and those may need an amp, and then I might realize there's no bass, etc.
These cars have a stereo?

Rattles:

Obviously the car is very raw and makes all sort of glorious sounds. There is one annoying rattle though coming from the headlight dial. Has anyone experienced this and is there an easy fix?

Also when idling, I think there is something like a heat shield rattle somewhere in the vicinity of the left muffler. Although it might just be flywheel chatter which would be fine. If it's a heat shield and I can tighten it up, that would be great though. Is this common? I'm going to a shop this Friday for the oil change and overall inspection so we'll take a look ...
These cars do rattle.

but I was looking for any quick tips regarding common issues ...
Check the sway links for torque spec. Have fun.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:07 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, here's my .02 -

Tires:
If this car is driven on the street I would not use MPSC's. Great dry track tires but not good as a street tire for a number of reasons IMO. Get a set of PS2's, stock sizes. Wheel sizes of course need to be known to get the right tire fit. If you intend to track the car (I hope so!) think about getting another set of wheels - one for street, and one for track work.
Oil:
Motul?? Change the oil with factory spec Mobile 1.
Air Filter:
Probably fine. Take a look at it, blow it clean if need be.
Exhaust:
Personal preference. I kept mine stock so I could meet sound restrictions at tracks like Laguna Seca.
But there are a lot of nice sounding exhausts out there. Use the search function and you'll find a lot of options.
Stereo:
Merely a distraction from the mechanical symphony inundating the cabin. Really, I don't think it's worth it, and adding a proper stereo system would just add weight which is not what your looking for.
Rattles:
Yeah, there are rattles, everyone has them and it's just part of the deal. You'll drive yourself crazy chasing them down.
On start up, at idle, there are a lot of noises coming from the engine compartment as the car reaches operating temp. Once warm, some of the noise should subside. Hard to say without hearing it myself.
Other noises, like LSD, flywheel (if single mass), etc. are just bonus sounds!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:11 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a few immediate noobish questions that I need to throw out there and hopefully receive some advice:

Tires:

I failed inspection today due to having no tread left on the MP Sport Cup rears. So I need to at least replace the rears which are 305/30-19. Unfortunately, I don't know the width of the HRE wheels ... Seth if you're looking at this, do you remember? The 305s seems to fit well minus a little bit of rubbing against the inner fender well on major bumps (I guess more a function of ride height versus tire width?). So I think I should replace them with the same size. Tires in that size run a wide price range. At the low end running $230/per are the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110s and up much higher at $440/per are the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Obviously I'm inclined to go with the Michelin's, but should I consider the Hankooks at all? They are relatively cheap ... Or something else in between like the Conti DWs at $264 or S-04 Pole Positions at $353?

The MPSC fronts still have some decent tread, but will it be OK to mix something like the MPSS rears with MPSC fronts or is that a disaster waiting to happen? I guess I'm concerned about getting caught out in the rain and having traction in the rear but not in the front ... Should I just replace all four and save the MPSC fronts for when I get a set of Comp tires for the rear to match for track duty?

Oil:

Air filter:

Exhaust:

Stereo:

Rattles:

Also when idling, I think there is something like a heat shield rattle somewhere in the vicinity of the left muffler. Although it might just be flywheel chatter which would be fine. If it's a heat shield and I can tighten it up, that would be great though. Is this common? I'm going to a shop this Friday for the oil change and overall inspection so we'll take a look but I was looking for any quick tips regarding common issues ...

Thanks for any and all input,
Josh

Tires:

Replace all 4 and depending on the type of driving choose accordingly.
For street and a few track events I would go with the SS since you have the privilege to run 19". (Otherwise tricky to work in the 6GT3 )

For example a common tire combo for those that attempted it was the 315/25R19 / 235/35R19

For track tires I will let US members reply.

Oil:

I am a Mobil1 fan, but oil is a controversial subject.. : )

Air filter:

2005 paper filter? Come on!

CHANGE IT

paper is fine; a BMC or KN panel filter are also fine as long as you never re-oil or clean them.

Exhaust:

Actually playing with the exhaust is the easiest way to gain a few horses as the oem diameter and cats are quite restrictive.
The headers are fine though.

Stereo:

Either get a bridge to the existing radio to connect the iphone etc.
Or get a better single din radio.

Speakers are POS so any decent speaker would be an improvement, however note that the sizes are small so do not expect bass unless you add a subwoofer in which case I will personally ban you from this site

Rattles:

I am deaf so I can't hear any rattles, back in the day when I could, the rear tips and insulation for the bumper did rattle.
Together with the cage, the center console, the sun visor, the steering column, the anti-roll bar, the front springs, the rear struts , the engine lid, etc

Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome replies! Ha!

Yeah, MPSC are not street tires. You'd be lucky to get 2000 miles out of them driving modestly.

I was looking for an exhaust to let me hear what the engine was doing while wearing a helmet. Fabspeed has a lot of options, and their Supercup style mufflers are a good price, but they claim it will hit 117db which is a fail for any facility with a sound limit. I don't go to those tracks, so I still might be picking one up.

There is a video on Youtube that makes me drool a bit-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0iCwvvJ_zk

It's the Cargraphic SuperCup setup, not sure if it's header back or what, but crazy aggressive loud. Sounds fun, though. lol

I too am a new owner, and rattles, whirring, groans all seem to be part of the package. Enjoy!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep - just ordered Mobil 1 for the car and it's 97% track. Noisy as hell - but I'm not complaining. I have muffler deletes and the car sounds pretty damn good!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:04 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

yep, mobil 1 engine oil, not motul. use that one for brakes or castol srf.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 PM
joshd
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies guys, good stuff.

I will stick with the Mobil 1 oil.

I just ordered a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Tire Rack ... 305/30-19 and 235/35-19 since that's what Seth had on the HREs previously. I'm having them shipped to and installed by Tirevan.com. They come to you with Hunter equipment. A friend of mine recommended them ... very convenient and they supposedly do a good job.

I figured the rattle question would elicit such responses. I do enjoy the symphony of sounds conducted by this machine but that damn headlight dial on the dash still annoys me ... I need to figure out how to stop that. Or just get a louder exhaust

I don't want to get banned so I won't be installing a sub in the car, but I still would like to figure out how to at least hook up my iPhone to the stereo. I will be daily driving the car probably 50% of the time just because I enjoy driving it so much.

Thanks again for the info,
Josh
Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 PM
joshd
Instructor

That's sick.

The best part is the laugh at the end. It sort of says 'that's so wrong, but so right!'

Originally Posted by Burger
Awesome replies! Ha!

Yeah, MPSC are not street tires. You'd be lucky to get 2000 miles out of them driving modestly.

I was looking for an exhaust to let me hear what the engine was doing while wearing a helmet. Fabspeed has a lot of options, and their Supercup style mufflers are a good price, but they claim it will hit 117db which is a fail for any facility with a sound limit. I don't go to those tracks, so I still might be picking one up.

There is a video on Youtube that makes me drool a bit-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0iCwvvJ_zk

It's the Cargraphic SuperCup setup, not sure if it's header back or what, but crazy aggressive loud. Sounds fun, though. lol

I too am a new owner, and rattles, whirring, groans all seem to be part of the package. Enjoy!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have used tire van quite a few times, recently just a couple of weeks ago. Best part is they came on a Saturday morning.

We have a good selection of excellent shops in the metro area. I have been going to ASG for over 15 years.

I have used Mobil 1 in all 3 911's with good results. As others have said, oil is a touchy subject.

Luckily I don't have any rattles (yet), just suspension groans upon entering my driveway.

Stick with the stock air filter IMHO.

I just ordered a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Tire Rack ... 305/30-19 and 235/35-19 since that's what Seth had on the HREs previously. I'm having them shipped to and installed by Tirevan.com. They come to you with Hunter equipment. A friend of mine recommended them ... very convenient and they supposedly do a good job.

I figured the rattle question would elicit such responses. I do enjoy the symphony of sounds conducted by this machine but that damn headlight dial on the dash still annoys me ... I need to figure out how to stop that. Or just get a louder exhaust

I don't want to get banned so I won't be installing a sub in the car, but I still would like to figure out how to at least hook up my iPhone to the stereo. I will be daily driving the car probably 50% of the time just because I enjoy driving it so much.

Josh
Old 06-18-2011, 01:14 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

There are Motul oil on the Porsche approved oil list.. For example, the 8100 X-cess 5W-40...
Old 06-18-2011, 03:32 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Josh
Ah, missed that you had 19's and was locked into the 18" tire choices. Super Sports seem to be a good choice for the street. Seth must have had the N-spec MPSC's that are OEM on the 997 GT3's since those sizes aren't available with the original MPSC. These might have better wet performance and slightly longer life than the "classics" but I haven't looked into this to closely.
Here's a camparo from a Rennlister of SS versus PS2's -
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ack-times.html

And Holy Crap...305/30-19 PS2's are $622ea! As are the N-spec MPSC's.
If you're going to get a set of wheels for the track I'd get 18's.

Glad you came to your senses on the stereo thing....Ban averted!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:22 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

DD on 19s in DC? GL!

My 0.02
  • 18s; Hankooks
  • Mobil1 5-50 (Approved)
  • Stock
  • Muffler Bypass Pipes or GMG WC
  • None here
Old 06-18-2011, 08:09 AM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by mjb
Ah, missed that you had 19's and was locked into the 18" tire choices. Super Sports seem to be a good choice for the street. Seth must have had the N-spec MPSC's that are OEM on the 997 GT3's since those sizes aren't available with the original MPSC. These might have better wet performance and slightly longer life than the "classics" but I haven't looked into this to closely.
Here's a camparo from a Rennlister of SS versus PS2's -
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ack-times.html

And Holy Crap...305/30-19 PS2's are $622ea! As are the N-spec MPSC's.
If you're going to get a set of wheels for the track I'd get 18's.

Glad you came to your senses on the stereo thing....Ban averted!
Thanks for that link. I guess I don't mind losing a second or two around the track for now as a tradeoff for better DD tires and $200/each. I probably would barely notice the difference since I'll still be trying to learn the basic dynamics of this car.

Seth is going to ship the OEM 18" wheels to me and they supposedly have some crazy Yokohama IMSA slicks on them right now that I'm probably not worthy to use! I might just sell those and get the 18" MPSCs for track use.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:17 AM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by SH || NC
DD on 19s in DC? GL!

My 0.02
  • 18s; Hankooks
  • Mobil1 5-50 (Approved)
  • Stock
  • Muffler Bypass Pipes or GMG WC
  • None here
Yeah the 19s in DC aren't the best idea in the world but the HREs look so damn good on the car, I don't want to change them.

Seth also mentioned using 5-50 weight oil so I'll probably go with that.

How ridiculously loud are these cars with muffler bypass? That seems like the easiest way to gain a few hp? Fabspeed isn't that far from here or Piper Motorsports (very close to me) could fab something up easily I think.

Quick Reply: questions from new GT3 owner