Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&M Short shifter to 997 GT3 Shifter...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:16 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default B&M Short shifter to 997 GT3 Shifter...

Whew...now I can relax. The B&M shifter in my '04GT3 was, without doubt, the WORST feeling shifter I have ever had the displeasure of driving. Just bought the car and couldn't believe that Porsche would sell a car with such a crunchy, vague, rough, and notchy shift mechanism. I didn't even know what shifter was in the car but after some research I figured something wasn't right. Sure enough, it was a B&M. I had Bill Rudtner install the 997 GT3 shifter while I had some other work done (updates to follow after the weekend) as I figured anything would be better than what was in there.

It's really night and day between the two. The 997 shifter feels so much smoother...a little more travel but I no longer need to hunt between gears. I was concerned with the "money shift" with the B&M as it wasn't a smooth transition from 5th to 4th, and 2nd to 3rd felt like I was cracking nuts in there. This shifter just goes where it's supposed to go, no drama, no waiting, no hunting, just "bap" and it's in the proper gear.

Be good,
TomK
Old 04-21-2011, 05:23 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good to hear.

It's funny, you are confirming in reverse what has been said here before: Generally folks ask about which shifter to install and get the advice that can be taken from you post above. Although the B & M works great on the regular cars, it's a on the GT3.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:58 AM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more ACE. I have a 996GT3 with the worst shifter in the world in it. I found out recently that its the B&M as well. I'm going to have the 997 GT3 shifter installed as well. Does the 997 GT3 and 997 GT3RS have any differences in the shifter assembly?

Quick Reply: B&M Short shifter to 997 GT3 Shifter...