Sponsored by:

GT3 sway bar settings

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GT3 sway bar settings

Had my first track day in my new-to-me 996 GT3 and loved it. I did, however, notice a bit more understeer than expected. I was wondering how people had the front and rear sway bars set - i.e., how many holes from the bar to set the connection.
Thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Is the suspension stock?

How is the alignment now?

What tires you use?

What are the current settings of the bars?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...highlight=sway
Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 PM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

H&R suspension - full alignment and ride height adjustment just completed. Using PS2s for now. I'm not sure of the current settings - car is in the shop for unrelated issue. Thanks for the link to the prior thread - very helpful. It sounds like I should probably try a notch or so softer up front or a notch stiffer in the rear.

btw - John, the seats were fantastic! Thanks again.
Marc
Old 04-20-2011, 03:32 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

You are welcome, and post some pics!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MJP911
Had my first track day in my new-to-me 996 GT3 and loved it. I did, however, notice a bit more understeer than expected. I was wondering how people had the front and rear sway bars set - i.e., how many holes from the bar to set the connection.
Thanks
Where are you getting understeer? Corner entry (which I assume), mid-corner, or exit?

If corner entry: (1) your brake release might be too abrupt; (2) you might be diving the corner; or (3) [most likely] you are not trail braking enough. If you trail brake a lot, you will tend to have the front bar set at full stiff (or one off stiff depending on track). That is, the setting that produces the least amount of grip - which will increase understeer unless you fix 1-3 above. Rear bar is on full soft to keep it from spinning away from you too fast. If mid/exit, you might be transitioning to gas too quickly.

FWIW, I rarely see understeer on the track, usually only decreasing radius turns when I'm on power too early. I'll typically get 5-10X more oversteer than understeer, even with the rear bar on full soft (mostly mid-corner and exit). I just need a bigger wing.

-td
Old 04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Default Before I get in trouble - here are some pics

These are from the seller's original posting - have not yet taken pictures with new seats, roll bar etc.
Attached Images    
Old 04-20-2011, 03:57 PM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself
Where are you getting understeer? Corner entry (which I assume), mid-corner, or exit?

If corner entry: (1) your brake release might be too abrupt; (2) you might be diving the corner; or (3) [most likely] you are not trail braking enough. If you trail brake a lot, you will tend to have the front bar set at full stiff (or one off stiff depending on track). That is, the setting that produces the least amount of grip - which will increase understeer unless you fix 1-3 above. Rear bar is on full soft to keep it from spinning away from you too fast. If mid/exit, you might be transitioning to gas too quickly.

FWIW, I rarely see understeer on the track, usually only decreasing radius turns when I'm on power too early. I'll typically get 5-10X more oversteer than understeer, even with the rear bar on full soft (mostly mid-corner and exit). I just need a bigger wing.

-td
Seeing understeer on mid-corner/corner exit - e.g., big bend at Lime Rock.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I prefer a car that slightly oversteers. To help that out.......

......are TB to rotate and get on the throttle SOONER. Do you have data acquisition?

However, you are going to be limited with street tires.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
I prefer a car that slightly oversteers. To help that out.......

......are TB to rotate and get on the throttle SOONER. Do you have data acquisition?

However, you are going to be limited with street tires.
Thanks, unfortunately no data acquisition (yet). Next set of tires I'm considering going to the Sport Cups, but that is the subject for a different thread
Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Forget the MPSC. Go with the Nitto NT01. Best bang for the buck and nearly as fast. Much more predictable a tire and less temperamental to temp and pressure like the MPSC.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:12 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

I'm generally not a big fan of messing with the ARB when entry is good. But it is usually the quickest fix. The downsides sometimes outweight the benefits, but not always. That being said, you can try some other things that might overcome your understeer issue (although we have limited ways to adjust the car). If your suspension is adjustable, you can increase front rebound. You could also let out some front tire pressure if the understeer isn't too bad. You could reduce front springs or lower front ride height.

Otherwise, reducing the front bar might be your only solution. [I would get someone familiar with a GT3in the car to verify that the brake/gas transistion is correct for those corners]. Like I said, I hardly ever see understeer other than decreasing radius corners, and I'm on full stiff up front.

-td
Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Excellent point. I rarely see understeer as well. I think it totally comes down to proper corner entry speed and TB modulation. Where I typically see understeer is on corner exit if I have missed my throttle application by a fraction.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Forget the MPSC. Go with the Nitto NT01. Best bang for the buck and nearly as fast. Much more predictable a tire and less temperamental to temp and pressure like the MPSC.
+1. NT01 > MPSC. (well, except for lap ultimate times) Discounting that, they last long, get to heat faster, are easier to drive and "work" the same in the rain!

-td
Old 04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Dell and td - thanks and thanks for the tip re tires
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You're probably just fighting the street alignment setup with those tires. More camber and R compounds would change the way your car feel completely....

Quick Reply: GT3 sway bar settings