Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 sway bar settings

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Dell, you really like the NT01's over MPSC? IN terms of what? I'm very curious...I'm a big MPSC lover you see.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

NT01 wins all categories except 1.

Predictability NT01
Control NT01
Less Temperamental (Temp and Pressure) NT01
HC's NT01
Price NT01
Lap Time MPSC

In my opinion, the step up from NT01 is not MPSC, it is R6.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dell, re the Nittos - I see they don't come in the stock 295/30-18 - do you run the 315's with no problem? Do you stick with 235 up front or run the 245's?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Correct, the 315 in the rear is what you run. In the front you can run the 235 or the 245. The 245 will give slight rubbing at full lock in the paddock.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:34 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
...The 245 will give slight rubbing at full lock in the paddock.
But slightly less understeer?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Negligible though.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:36 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

I want to dig this thread back up from 5 years ago.

I'm heading back to the track next weekend and in thinking about the way my GT3 performs on track, I am pretty happy with everything, except traction on corner exit. Whilst it's not undrivable, a lot of patience is required with throttle application (a technique that I feel I have honed in my 18 months of track use in this car). I feel I'm not experiencing that magical drive off the corner that other GT3 owners talk about. My car also has a cup final drive, however its suspension settings have remained more or less the same since this was fitted.

To get to to the point, I have adjustable sway bars and 2-way adjustable dampers at my disposal. I am confident changing the sway bar, but am reluctant to fiddle with the dampers, given I don't know exactly what I'm doing in that department (and incremental changes in rebound or compression are probably more difficult to quantify for an amateur). I am also running R-compounds and have the appropriate wheel alignment settings for these. Would softening the rear bar a notch or 2 be an effective change to better manage the traction issue on corner exits or do I need to get busy with the damper settings?
Old 07-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

You can fine tune the handling of your car with other parameters as well. here is a list of things you can do. Since you did not go into any detail as to what the car is doing, your set up, etc. this is the best I can do.

Formatting sucks, but you will figure it out.

Fromhttp://store.uucmotorwerks.com/artic...ybar_setup.htm

PARAMETER. TO INCREASE UNDERSTEER TO INCREASE OVERSTEER
Front Tire Pressure Lower Higher
Rear Tire Pressure Higher Lower
Front Tire Width Smaller Larger
Rear Tire Width Larger Smaller
Front Camber More Positive More Negative
Rear Camber More Negative More Positive
Front Springs Stiffer Softer
Rear Springs Softer Stiffer
Front Sway Bar Stiffer Softer
Rear Sway Bar Softer Stiffer
Old 07-18-2016, 01:21 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
You can fine tune the handling of your car with other parameters as well. here is a list of things you can do. Since you did not go into any detail as to what the car is doing, your set up, etc. this is the best I can do.

Formatting sucks, but you will figure it out.

Fromhttp://store.uucmotorwerks.com/artic...ybar_setup.htm

PARAMETER. TO INCREASE UNDERSTEER TO INCREASE OVERSTEER
Front Tire Pressure Lower Higher
Rear Tire Pressure Higher Lower
Front Tire Width Smaller Larger
Rear Tire Width Larger Smaller
Front Camber More Positive More Negative
Rear Camber More Negative More Positive
Front Springs Stiffer Softer
Rear Springs Softer Stiffer
Front Sway Bar Stiffer Softer
Rear Sway Bar Softer Stiffer
Thanks for posting. I believe I have experimented with tyre pressures (and tyre sizes) to the point where the car is as good as its going to be without touching anything else. Its handling is fairly well balanced, maybe a little on the nose and tyre wear is even. The thing is does most consistently is power on oversteer on corner exit. It's fun but I feel its robbing me of some tenths. I figure this table is stating that sway bars are the last thing to play with?
Old 07-18-2016, 09:13 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Thanks for posting. I believe I have experimented with tyre pressures (and tyre sizes) to the point where the car is as good as its going to be without touching anything else. Its handling is fairly well balanced, maybe a little on the nose and tyre wear is even. The thing is does most consistently is power on oversteer on corner exit. It's fun but I feel its robbing me of some tenths. I figure this table is stating that sway bars are the last thing to play with?

There's no harm in changing the rear bar...these things are adjustable so that we can tinker with them and if you don't like it you can put it right back.

Personally what I'd suggest in your situation if you like everything else the car is doing except corner exit I'd do the following.

First, try taking a couple clicks of compression out of the rear shocks. It'll allow more weight transfer to the rear of the car when on the throttle and possibly help. This is going to be a small help not a big help. If these are really long sweepers and not shorter corners you might want to also take a click of rebound out of the rear to allow it to squat longer before returning to the neutral position of the shock.

THEN go softer on the rear bar. or play around with a combo of both. I like a really soft rear bar on my car but it's just personal preference.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:10 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
There's no harm in changing the rear bar...these things are adjustable so that we can tinker with them and if you don't like it you can put it right back.

Personally what I'd suggest in your situation if you like everything else the car is doing except corner exit I'd do the following.

First, try taking a couple clicks of compression out of the rear shocks. It'll allow more weight transfer to the rear of the car when on the throttle and possibly help. This is going to be a small help not a big help. If these are really long sweepers and not shorter corners you might want to also take a click of rebound out of the rear to allow it to squat longer before returning to the neutral position of the shock.

THEN go softer on the rear bar. or play around with a combo of both. I like a really soft rear bar on my car but it's just personal preference.
I'm reading along and you lost me on rebound.. when you say "click of rebound out" does this mean increase rebound rate to achieve the longer squat? I'm all caught up in semantics here when comparing to compression (that one's clear to me) as it seems like "rebound" and "rebound rate" might be treated as opposite and be causing my confusion... also I don't get to turn ***** so no practical experience Thanks
Old 07-18-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermct
I'm reading along and you lost me on rebound.. when you say "click of rebound out" does this mean increase rebound rate to achieve the longer squat? I'm all caught up in semantics here when comparing to compression (that one's clear to me) as it seems like "rebound" and "rebound rate" might be treated as opposite and be causing my confusion... also I don't get to turn ***** so no practical experience Thanks
I mean decrease rebound rate. Rebound is going to be the rate at which the shock returns to neutral from it's compressed stated. I'd very much try just the compression first and then maybe add the rebound second. with both you're allowing it to compress more quickly and then slowing the rate of return to neutral effectively leaving weight on that corner of the car longer. With compression only you're moving weight to that corner more quickly than before but it's not necessarily staying there longer.

Shock tuning is a black art to some. Not everyone agrees on ways to fix handling issues even though there's basic theory to doing it. On a double adjustable shock most will tell you to set the rebound where it makes the car happiest from a traction perspective (no bouncing, etc) and then do all of the tuning with compression. Other theories disagree. I try these days just to use compression for fine tuning but sometimes still twist both ***** depending on the situation. Might not always be the right move but it's easy to put back.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:48 PM
mistermct
Racer

I mean decrease rebound rate. Rebound is going to be the rate at which the shock returns to neutral from it's compressed stated. I'd very much try just the compression first and then maybe add the rebound second. with both you're allowing it to compress more quickly and then slowing the rate of return to neutral effectively leaving weight on that corner of the car longer. With compression only you're moving weight to that corner more quickly than before but it's not necessarily staying there longer.

Shock tuning is a black art to some. Not everyone agrees on ways to fix handling issues even though there's basic theory to doing it. On a double adjustable shock most will tell you to set the rebound where it makes the car happiest from a traction perspective (no bouncing, etc) and then do all of the tuning with compression. Other theories disagree. I try these days just to use compression for fine tuning but sometimes still twist both ***** depending on the situation. Might not always be the right move but it's easy to put back.
Got it. I was thinking increased rebound "force" (more damping force to oppose the spring and thus the desired slower wheel return) and saying "rate". Agree on decreased rebound rate -> slower velocity on return thus longer to return to neutral. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2016, 11:52 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the advice! I need to actually look at how and where my dampers are adjusted as i've never checked since owning the car. It's looking like rain on Sunday when im at the track so it may not be worth altering the "baseline" if that's the case, will see how I go.

For the sake of this discussion, is it fair to rule out the ARBs completely when searching for longitudinal grip? Thinking about the way a car exits a corner, when accelerating there are still unequal levels of grip at the rear tyres due to some lateral influence. ARB settings could alter this?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:40 AM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by spiller
Makes perfect sense, thanks for the advice! I need to actually look at how and where my dampers are adjusted as i've never checked since owning the car. It's looking like rain on Sunday when im at the track so it may not be worth altering the "baseline" if that's the case, will see how I go.

For the sake of this discussion, is it fair to rule out the ARBs completely when searching for longitudinal grip? Thinking about the way a car exits a corner, when accelerating there are still unequal levels of grip at the rear tyres due to some lateral influence. ARB settings could alter this?
Slight tangent.. how's your LSD? Worn LSD might be limiting your exit grip if you get inside wheelspin.

Quick Reply: GT3 sway bar settings