Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At Last, My "new to me" GT3!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car, hopefully we'll see more pictures later, and may it bring smiles to you every day.

New 996 owner, and GT3 admirer.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Tom I am very happy for you ! Enjoy the car in good health.

And nice signature! (if you want a more historically accurate one let me know)
Thanks so much, John, you're advice and guidance was a great help.

And sure, I'd love a proper quote...that was from 300.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 PM
ace996
Instructor

Registered the car and have plates!!! Should be a nice day tomorrow, commute will be the best part of the workday.

Appointment made for Monday at Rudtner's (about 10 mins from my home):

RSS '930' rollbar
Schroth Hans harnesses
BK lowering mounts
Pagid 29s
Track prep and check alignment

I'm pretty handy, and prefer to wrench myself but I've no time and figure I should start my relationship with my local indy shop. Owner is also head instructor with Metro PCA and I'm always looking for that kind of work..
Should have the car back in two days, just in time for trackday on Friday!!!!

Guys...I'm really excited. Thanks so much for the well wishes and help on my search.

Be good,
TomK
Old 04-15-2011, 12:39 AM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yomi
Beautiful car, hopefully we'll see more pictures later, and may it bring smiles to you every day.

New 996 owner, and GT3 admirer.
Thank you so much, drove her to work today and other than the traffic I was all smiles.
And Btw, great avatar pic!!! Get 'em started early and they'll be on the right path.

So yes, took the car to work today. Dealt with a good amount of traffic going in but lunch down the road allowed some feeling and then the little bit early drive home allowed some fun.

My initial impressions - The car, for me, would not be a daily driver. It could be one...but there are cars that do double duty better - my prior '08 M3 was the perfect daily driver and good track tool. But what makes the GT3 a 'less than ideal' daily is leading me to believe it'll be a phenomenal weapon on track. Not since my Lotus Elise have I felt a car that had such steering feel (and that car was manual steering). The ability to shift weight at the speed of thought with little to no input was amazing. The speed of turn-in was shocking. Whatever ratio the GT3 has, Chevy must try to copy it because the Z06's (I sold to buy the GT3) steering was pittiful in comparison - the level of communication from the whole car was on another level than the Z. The Z was MUCH more comfortable, much softer, less urgent in it's approach to the road. And it's that isolated feel that never let me fully enjoy it's abilities..I never felt "One" with the car. The GT3....well,...

The GT3 reminds me of a spider - it can go slow or sit still, but it's always ready to unleash it's fury at the drop of a hat. Felt ready to act in an instant. It was strangely like my past Ducati 996 - the faster I went, the better it felt.
The suspension smoothed out, the engine liked the revs...it was coming together...and rolling on the gas from apex out, with the rear settling, made me feel like I know a dirty little secret that only a few share...

...then more traffic and I was home. All done. Very happy with my new dance partner and looking forward to more bonding time.

Be good,
TomK
Old 04-15-2011, 04:30 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996
TomK wrote ... Whatever ratio the GT3 has, Chevy must try to copy it because the Z06's (I sold to buy the GT3) steering was pittiful in comparison - the level of communication from the whole car was on another level than the Z. The Z was MUCH more comfortable, much softer, less urgent in it's approach to the road. And it's that isolated feel that never let me fully enjoy it's abilities..I never felt "One" with the car. The GT3....well,...
I too gave up my 2008 Z06 for a Red 2004 GT3 with PCCBs! People ask me all the time what the differences are and I tell them almost word for word what you wrote above. I had the unique chance to drive the GT3 for 2 days, then get back in the Z06 for 2 more days, before taking final possession of the GT3. It was almost unbearable to drive the Z06 after just 2 days in the GT3.

One other thing I might mention about the GT3 that few ever say ... the visibility of the road ahead and around you is superior to the Z06, or even to my previous 3rd Gen. RX-7. It truly is a driver's car. I got mine in January and I fall in love with it more every time I drive it.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:53 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They make slotted GDs to replace the PCCB rotors...sell em and come out AHEAD ;-)
Way more predictable, needed only if you do track days.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:11 PM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdrake
I too gave up my 2008 Z06 for a Red 2004 GT3 with PCCBs! People ask me all the time what the differences are and I tell them almost word for word what you wrote above. I had the unique chance to drive the GT3 for 2 days, then get back in the Z06 for 2 more days, before taking final possession of the GT3. It was almost unbearable to drive the Z06 after just 2 days in the GT3.

One other thing I might mention about the GT3 that few ever say ... the visibility of the road ahead and around you is superior to the Z06, or even to my previous 3rd Gen. RX-7. It truly is a driver's car. I got mine in January and I fall in love with it more every time I drive it.
Absolutely!!! Visibility and visual position is much more confidence inspiring in the Pcar. Although I'm giving up 150hp, I believe the enhanced driver confidence will lead to a more enjoyable/rewarding drive.
I guess 40 years of 911 engineering and evolution led to something very special.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM
ace996
Instructor

After install of the BK lowering mounts today, had dinner with the In-laws and the kids decided to stay over. Gave my wife and I a chance to go for a nice drive in the GT3. The engine...charging to 8000rpms...gave me chills. We loved it. Spending time together, going for a ride...in our GT3.

Be good,
TomK
Old 04-17-2011, 11:33 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is she standing over your shoulder?
:-)
Old 04-18-2011, 12:20 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, don't think my wife will ever ride in my car, let alone let me take it to the red line.

Different strokes

Quick Reply: At Last, My "new to me" GT3!!!!