Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 UPDATED THREAD for NITTO NT-01s

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:06 PM
AlexN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Falken has the new Azenis 615K at this size. (looks exactly the same as the old 615k)
It's not as hardcore as the NT-01 or the R888 but at least it's available and an option for someone looking for a street tire. Treadware of 200.
http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Pass...nis-RT-615K-14
Old 04-14-2011, 05:12 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the heads up.. another street tire alternative.. (245/40/18 + 315/30/18)
Old 04-14-2011, 05:12 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexN
It's not as hardcore as the NT-01 or the R888...
Then it's pretty dang far from harcore

-td
Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Treadwear rating of 200, it is in the same class as PS-2 / AD-08.. street tires for sure..
Old 04-15-2011, 05:07 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Thanks for the heads up.. another street tire alternative.. (245/40/18 + 315/30/18)
Newb here ... the stock GT3 wheels will fit these sizes above?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

yes they will. (perhaps with minor rubbing depending on height and camber used)
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
yes they will. (perhaps with minor rubbing depending on height and camber used)
I currently have stock alignment and stock ride height ... at least until I learn the car!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:27 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've used Falkens before several times. They have been fantastic and used to be a bargain...not sure about pricing now. I will definitely consider them for street use again...just not so good in the rain.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm going to bump this thread for 2012 updates and questions.

This past weekend was my first weekend on NT-01's and I find my comments similar to many others. However mine seem to be wearing quicker than I anticipated. I'll get to this in a minute.

Alignment specs:
Front Camber -3.0
Front toe 1mm out per side
Rear camber -2.5
Rear toe 2mm in per side

First day I thought I made a horrible mistake with these tires. They were slow, slippery just an all around mess.

My drive to Mid Ohio is 40 miles. Drive there on fresh tires I noticed they were noisy, not that big of a deal though. The drive home after "using" them I wanted ear plugs. These things are LOUD.

Day 2 tires were "better". Started playing with pressures some and this is where I found my only problem. I did my two afternoon sessions with 36hot in the front and after two sessions in the heat of the day ( sunny and ~90 degrees) my left front was done. It got hot / slippery about 20 min into our 30 min run and I backed down some but still ran 3 more laps at a decent clip. The result was a completely bald tire. In speaking to someone else at the track they said they had a similar experience when getting at or below 36 and really driving the tires hard. At 8 heat cycles this front tire looks this. The other 3 still show tread across the whole face of the tire.

I rotated this tire to the passenger side that evening and the wear on day 3 was much slower.

Day 3 I settled on 38 hot front and rear, air and track temps were as warm or warmer than the day before and I managed to knock another 1.7 seconds off of my best previous lap from the weekend. Wear on Sunday was good at 38 even though I stepped up my own pace and drove even harder. The only difference from Saturday and Sunday was tire pressure and Sunday I had no issues with the left front at all.

Overall thoughts on the tires - Day 3 they were pretty darn good for stick. Not as much stick as the cup's I ran last year and def. not as much stick as a hoosier but I managed to hound some pretty quick cars on better tires without issue in these.

My biggest observation is that I learned more in 3 days sliding the car around on these tires than I learned all of last year in the car on cup's. My comfort level and confidence has grown in leaps and bounds by driving on these things since they do like to slide.

As Himself stated, rear grip could be better. I suspect too much rear camber could be contributing to this.

Special Thanks to Chuck Price. I was a little uncomfortable with the amount of slip angle the tires needed and he drove me around for a few laps to check out some setup changes I had made and feel out the car for me and quickly showed me that I was not quite driving the tires to their potential.

Andy
Old 05-21-2012, 11:45 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

On my stock 6GT3 I find NT01 rears don't like more than -2.0 and fronts seem to work best at around -2.8. IMHO YMMV. I run max 38 front 40 rear hot pressures.

Peter

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I'm going to bump this thread for 2012 updates and questions.

This past weekend was my first weekend on NT-01's and I find my comments similar to many others. However mine seem to be wearing quicker than I anticipated. I'll get to this in a minute.

Alignment specs:
Front Camber -3.0
Front toe 1mm out per side
Rear camber -2.5
Rear toe 2mm in per side

First day I thought I made a horrible mistake with these tires. They were slow, slippery just an all around mess.

My drive to Mid Ohio is 40 miles. Drive there on fresh tires I noticed they were noisy, not that big of a deal though. The drive home after "using" them I wanted ear plugs. These things are LOUD.

Day 2 tires were "better". Started playing with pressures some and this is where I found my only problem. I did my two afternoon sessions with 36hot in the front and after two sessions in the heat of the day ( sunny and ~90 degrees) my left front was done. It got hot / slippery about 20 min into our 30 min run and I backed down some but still ran 3 more laps at a decent clip. The result was a completely bald tire. In speaking to someone else at the track they said they had a similar experience when getting at or below 36 and really driving the tires hard. At 8 heat cycles this front tire looks this. The other 3 still show tread across the whole face of the tire.

I rotated this tire to the passenger side that evening and the wear on day 3 was much slower.

Day 3 I settled on 38 hot front and rear, air and track temps were as warm or warmer than the day before and I managed to knock another 1.7 seconds off of my best previous lap from the weekend. Wear on Sunday was good at 38 even though I stepped up my own pace and drove even harder. The only difference from Saturday and Sunday was tire pressure and Sunday I had no issues with the left front at all.

Overall thoughts on the tires - Day 3 they were pretty darn good for stick. Not as much stick as the cup's I ran last year and def. not as much stick as a hoosier but I managed to hound some pretty quick cars on better tires without issue in these.

My biggest observation is that I learned more in 3 days sliding the car around on these tires than I learned all of last year in the car on cup's. My comfort level and confidence has grown in leaps and bounds by driving on these things since they do like to slide.

As Himself stated, rear grip could be better. I suspect too much rear camber could be contributing to this.

Special Thanks to Chuck Price. I was a little uncomfortable with the amount of slip angle the tires needed and he drove me around for a few laps to check out some setup changes I had made and feel out the car for me and quickly showed me that I was not quite driving the tires to their potential.

Andy
Old 05-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 78 Posts

I ran these on my rear drive converted 996tt the last 18 months I tracked it and I found similar wear on the tires. Biggest thing of note was that I had to start them cold each day at about 24 pounds rear and 25 pounds front pressure with 255 fronts and 315 rears.

I really like the way these tires slide and rotate as compared to the MPSC and think they are a great bargain for the performance.

Mike
Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The question I never directly asked. Has anyone ever killed these things from too little pressure? Fronts were fine after 6 heat cycles at 40-42 psi. Two sessions at 35-36 psi, 89 degrees and hot sunny surface and the left front was a slick.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,117 Posts

The question I never directly asked. Has anyone ever killed these things from too little pressure? Fronts were fine after 6 heat cycles at 40-42 psi. Two sessions at 35-36 psi, 89 degrees and hot sunny surface and the left front was a slick.
I track these on my Rturbo and get very even wear at 32f 36r hot. I get about 6 track days on them.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:10 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I track these on my Rturbo and get very even wear at 32f 36r hot. I get about 6 track days on them.
Same here on the hot temps, but get even more track days as i run them tell close to or even seeing cords.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Biggest thing of note was that I had to start them cold each day at about 24 pounds rear and 25 pounds front pressure with 255 fronts and 315 rears.
+1 except I run 245s

The question I never directly asked. Has anyone ever killed these things from too little pressure?
Have never had a problem with not enough pressure in them; they come up pretty quickly; I target 36-38 hot.

Even when slick, they may be HDd out, but then the learning curve kicks back in; they are slippery, but fun.

Is MO known to be rough on the left fronts?

Quick Reply: 2011 UPDATED THREAD for NITTO NT-01s