Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guard LSD, LWF, Exhuast and GT3 Seats Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:15 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

cfjan,
For installing gears, all that really needs to happen is the tailcone and center section come off, the gear stacks are removed, and then the gears are restacked. For the R/P installation is goes further than that. All of that is done AND you also have to remove the old ring and pinion. Then the new one needs to be installed, which is not an inconsequential matter. The pinion depth needs to be set, the ring gear backlash needs to be set, and the bearing preload needs to be done. Most shops charge an extra +/- hours of labor to do the ring and pinion ON TOP of standard rebuilding labor. And not every shop has the special Porsche ring and pinion tools, and it's the sort of expertise that is learned over the years, usually by someone else in the know teaching you.

I fully agree with the logic that for a DE car, gears are better than R/P at same cost. In addition to the rpm gaps you talk about there's also wear and durability. Furthermore, I feel that the short R/P make 1 and 2 too short. For some cars and some tracks, the stock 2nd with a short r/p is fine, but for many people, like we did with PJ's build, the short r/p warrants a taller than stock 2nd gear, which then puts you into a mainshaft as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

So without changing the r&p, how do you usually recommend for re-gearing?

Move 5th to 6th. Keep 1st and 2nd. And re-gear 3rd to 5th? Or you do a lower 2nd as well? (might be helpful for people who autoX their GT3.. as the OEM 2nd is kind of tall for typical tight autoX course)
Old 03-25-2011, 03:09 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

It depends on the car and application. For most people it's 3,4,5 and 5th into 6th. 2nd is fixed to the mainshaft, so you can't change 2nd without doing 1st and the shaft at the same time, and that's big money. Some guys will also do a special shorter 6th gear because the stock 5th gear as a 6th is still a tad tall for West Coast tracks. On a 996 GT3, 5th is good for 170+. That's fine if you run Sebring. But if you run Laguna Seca that's way faster than you'll ever hit and making 6th shorter has an advantage if they are actually racing the car and not just running hot laps with their mates. Obviously that's also going to be a car that's trailered to the track. While 5th in 6th can still be driven on the freeway, going shorter than that as a top gear is not highway friendly.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:11 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info.. !!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:14 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hand embroidered, 1 of 10
suck it all you soon to be mass produced wearers :-)

my situation was trying but Matt was class about it... here is the issue, here is the temp solution, I have spoken with your tech, here is the plan... mistakes happen and how they are dealt with is a true indication of character. yeah it sucked and was not ideal but matt took the situation by the horns and made it right. it was the numerous phone calls back and forth that allowed us to get to know one another and for that I am grateful... and the hat is awesome :-)

not to mention the temp solution to keep me on the track was better than stock and I was thrilled and called matt on my way home from the track to discuss and I recall him saying something to the effect of "if you are happy with the temp solution, you are going to love the final iteration"... he was right. I took the car for a rip this
evening and when I am driving it, the thoughts of the cost and the
hassle go away... like an addict who regrets buying all that heroin because he blew past his budget, UNTIL he starts shooting that pure
high grade tar and is in bliss

for project RSFTMFW, matt sold me grade A smack
Old 03-26-2011, 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,886 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
I have thought of it... just not there yet mentally
I am getting closer
bring it down.
i'll go through her first.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:38 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank mooty - I am luck to get paroled for ORP at this point in my life

have to be patient for Cali trips
get my kids in school full time
which is a ways off

at least no diapers
Old 03-26-2011, 01:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,886 Likes on 2,408 Posts

which is a ways off

at least no diapers
easy.
my son isn't diaper trained.
i just dont put diaper on.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:15 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

which is a ways off

at least no diapers
Don't let Mooty strip your rs!!! ^he doesn't know there's a few bolts that need to be removed : ). Mike

Quick Reply: Guard LSD, LWF, Exhuast and GT3 Seats Installed!