Sponsored by:

settings for sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rkirshner
i wonder now if i didnt catch the error what i would have felt at the track.
You're rear end coming around to say hello.....
Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 PM
joe1973
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting as during my last event last year my car swapped ends in Monticello NY. Going through fast esses at full throttle when it just broke loose when I was turning toasted right - loading left side. The nut could have come off before that point? Or I'm just a bad driver. Could be the latter but I watched video last night there was no other reason the car should have snapped. Lesson here is for everyone to check things well, since only you have the most motivation to be safe and not your mechanic. Thanks to all for your input and documents!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 PM
joe1973
Advanced

Originally Posted by joe1973
Appreciate the responses. Put the tires back and left sway unconnected. Will buy tomorrow from dealer- thanks for P/N. Probably will pay $10 bucks for 40 cent nuts. Just like the dealer charged me $50 for spacers last year when I asked for alignment. What a mistake. FYI, I have stock GT3 suspension, front sway maxed while rear to lowest / soft setting. Also cor balanced by Dan Jacobs recently so the car's pretty low to the ground...
Will consider upgrades later in the year.
TOASTED RIGHT = TOWARDS RIGHT
I hate the iPad for changing words....
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by joe1973
Interesting as during my last event last year my car swapped ends in Monticello NY. Going through fast esses at full throttle when it just broke loose when I was turning toasted right - loading left side. The nut could have come off before that point? Or I'm just a bad driver. Could be the latter but I watched video last night there was no other reason the car should have snapped. Lesson here is for everyone to check things well, since only you have the most motivation to be safe and not your mechanic. Thanks to all for your input and documents!
So how much driving did you do between that event and your discovery two days ago.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
joe1973
Advanced

The was my last event. So I never took off wheels until last weekend. I do drive every 3-4 weeks on the road when the roads are dry and salt free but never push as the State Troopers in NJ are like flaggers- they see everything and can ruin your day easily. But I did not the car was loose coming on and off highway ramps.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 AM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

hello again i was reviewing this thread. on the "tech info" from 3/21 i think it says to use 7.45 ftlbs torque. doesnt that seem low
Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rkirshner
hello again i was reviewing this thread. on the "tech info" from 3/21 i think it says to use 7.45 ftlbs torque. doesnt that seem low

41ftlb
Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 PM
bobsan
Instructor

just wonder how anyone can drive with front link bolt loose and eventually fall off and not hear the massive clanking sound it makes for hundreds of miles ??
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 PM
joe1973
Advanced

I must be deaf.... Brought car to shop for new MPSCs and had them look at the droplink and sway connection. They figured it only came off recently based light score marks inside the rim. But I'll never really know for sure. We attached the new Porsche bolt prescribed for the issue which is supposed to be impossible to back out on its own. Regardless after any track run, I'll be feeling for the sway connection by hand to be sure!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:12 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Archimedes (talking about the principle of the lever), said: "Give me the place to stand, and I shall move the earth" : )

So gents for one more time, when you pick the hole away from the bar then you go soft, close to the bar is hard.

And below is the picture version that will end this "debate" for ever.

Now if you want to talk about the perfect settings that is another matter..

IMO the sway bars of the 6GT3 have a nice size and are well balanced F&R and also provide enough adjust ability to cover all personal driving styles, suspension upgrades, etc.
Yep, this diagram should resolve any confusion. BTW, is this diagram from the mk1 GT3? mk2 has 4 holes in the rear.

Originally Posted by FFaust
BTW, VERY nice video posted on here recently of Mike Levitas of TPC explaining why running stiffer front bars on the new wider-track RS' is a benefit >> wider track = more grip = better turn-in = less push => allows to stiffen up the front sway so that it can do more work.

Oh what the heck, here is a re-post it's so good (good stuff is in the first 2 minutes):
I think this nicely illustrates that there are many dependencies on optimal sway bar settings. Running a stiffer front bar on the .2RS makes sense for the reasons stated in the video and above (i.e. increased front end grip over previous models), but not necessarily on the 6GT3, depending on your tire setup. I recently went from MPSC's (stock sizes 235f/295r) to Nitto's w/ 245f/315r. I experienced some additional push in the slow to slow/medium speed corners with the previous sway settings - fr:2 from full soft and Rr:1 from full stiff. Those 315's are huge and seemed to shift the grip balance to the rear. So I softened the front a notch to regain some balance in the front and it worked well at my last outing at Laguna. Car really rotated nicely.
In any case, I think you need to experiment to find the right setting for "you" and your setup, at a given track. A lot of fast 6GT3 drivers around here are running full soft in the front and full stiff in the rear with certain setups.

Still a lot to learn so I really appreciate the info in threads like these.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb
Yep, this diagram should resolve any confusion. BTW, is this diagram from the mk1 GT3? mk2 has 4 holes in the rear.
7GT2
Old 03-31-2011, 08:57 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb
In any case, I think you need to experiment to find the right setting for "you" and your setup, at a given track. A lot of fast 6GT3 drivers around here are running full soft in the front and full stiff in the rear with certain setups.
I think full soft front and full stiff rear is a dangerous combination even at Laguna which requires lots of turn-in. I agree that folks should experiment, just be carefull with that setup as your rear end will be very, very loose.....
Old 04-01-2011, 01:05 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I think full soft front and full stiff rear is a dangerous combination even at Laguna which requires lots of turn-in. I agree that folks should experiment, just be carefull with that setup as your rear end will be very, very loose.....
JR... indeed. I certainly wasn't advocating that setup and it would undoubtedly be too loose for me. As far as experimentation goes, I take the advice of those with a lot more experience and make one adjustment at a time. In the case of the sways - one notch change, front or rear.
IIRC the factory shipped the GT3 1 notch from full stiff in the front and 1 notch from full soft in the rear. This was clearly set up to predominantly understeer. So (as I believe someone earlier mentioned) starting there abouts and incrementally adjusting the sways to your liking is not a bad approach in my book.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Timely thread. Just ended my 15-day track season at MMP in Utah this past Saturday, and was able to shed 6 seconds off my "outer" track config time by season's end... (Don't lift!!!)

I jacked the car up to clean out the rubber worms before winter storage, and finally looked at my set-up:

FRONT = ONE from FULL STIFF (1 of 4)
REAR = ONE from FULL SOFT (3 of 4)

I moved to the wide Nitto NT-01s this season... I plan to play around with the sway setting next season...

-B

Quick Reply: settings for sway bars