Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

settings for sway bars

Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Archimedes (talking about the principle of the lever), said: "Give me the place to stand, and I shall move the earth" : )

So gents for one more time, when you pick the hole away from the bar then you go soft, close to the bar is hard.

And below is the picture version that will end this "debate" for ever.
Thanks for the diagram John, nice illustration of the FACTS.

I don't think that there is any debate, there is simply a disconnect between these FACTS and the OP's mechanic's statement of what he did, "moved front sway bar links to rear most position to achieve full stiff"

Again, OP should look under the car and verify for himself and not rely on what is written on the invoice.

BTW, VERY nice video posted on here recently of Mike Levitas of TPC explaining why running stiffer front bars on the new wider-track RS' is a benefit >> wider track = more grip = better turn-in = less push => allows to stiffen up the front sway so that it can do more work.

Oh what the heck, here is a re-post it's so good (good stuff is in the first 2 minutes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b6uz...embedded#at=66
Old 03-20-2011, 01:19 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
The only way for you to know this is to poke your head under the car to see what hole the drop link is in.

Close to bar (toward the front for the front bar, toward the rear for the rear bar) = stiff (as in my picture above)

Further from the bar = soft
Listen to his description, the others are muddled. His bar is in the full stiff position in his photo.

Side bar: tighten the bolts very firmly. I've had them wiggle their way loose and messing up the threads in the process and making it impossible to remove the nut. Then you have to sawzall them off and install new bolts if you have them. I've seen this happen way too often at the track so I now carry high grade spare bolts & nuts just for the drop links. I lent one out last weekend at Spring Mountain....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 03-20-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:22 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Side bar: tighten the bolts very firmly. I've had them wiggle their way loose and messing up the threads in the process and making it impossible to remove the nut. Then you have to sawzall them off and install new bolts if you have them. I've seen this happen way too often at the track so I now carry high grade spare bolts & nuts just for the drop links. I lent one out last weekend at Spring Mouintain....
I've had that happen too to my front, the nut came loose and wiggled it's way off. Talk about oversteer
Old 03-20-2011, 07:32 PM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks i do understand now
so i looked under the car
the mechanic got it backwards exactly opposite of what i requested
thanks to all
Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Interesting. You stated that it was a very reputable certified P dealer, so maybe he simply misunderstood your request.

Did you by any chance tell him that you wanted to reduce understeer?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

From now Francois is officially Rennlist's translator for incompetent dealers : )

Congrats! : )
Old 03-20-2011, 08:20 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Old 03-20-2011, 08:31 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Come on F. I am paying you a compliment, it was a good catch..

I failed to translate the phrase "moved front sway bar links to rear most position" correctly, I believed that rear most was in relation to the bar.. : )
Old 03-20-2011, 10:05 PM
joe1973
Advanced

Default What is the nut size for drop link to sway (front)- 996 GT3

I was reading this post searching for the answer. Flushed brakes this morning for April 1 DE at Lime Rock. Ten found front left drop link was just dangling... Not connected to sway. nut must have fallen off somehow. I had a few nuts in my toolbox incl M10 - three diff thread sizes 1, 1.25, 1.5 and none fit. Help as my car's left on jack stands tonight!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:55 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Come on F. I am paying you a compliment, it was a good catch..
Of course John, no worries, just teasing.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by joe1973
... Ten found front left drop link was just dangling... Not connected to sway. nut must have fallen off somehow. I had a few nuts in my toolbox incl M10 - three diff thread sizes 1, 1.25, 1.5 and none fit. ...
P/N is 999 084 624 09, Hexagon Nut M10

Probably not the info you need if you are looking through your tool box, but at least you can call around in the am to check for stock.

Maybe thread is damaged from when this all came apart and that's why you aren't able to use whats in your box??

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:54 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was reading this post searching for the answer. Flushed brakes this morning for April 1 DE at Lime Rock. Ten found front left drop link was just dangling... Not connected to sway. nut must have fallen off somehow. I had a few nuts in my toolbox incl M10 - three diff thread sizes 1, 1.25, 1.5 and none fit. Help as my car's left on jack stands tonight!
Why? You can most certainly drive the car, I just wouldn't go racing.....
Old 03-21-2011, 01:06 AM
joe1973
Advanced

Appreciate the responses. Put the tires back and left sway unconnected. Will buy tomorrow from dealer- thanks for P/N. Probably will pay $10 bucks for 40 cent nuts. Just like the dealer charged me $50 for spacers last year when I asked for alignment. What a mistake. FYI, I have stock GT3 suspension, front sway maxed while rear to lowest / soft setting. Also cor balanced by Dan Jacobs recently so the car's pretty low to the ground...
Will consider upgrades later in the year.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:43 AM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

thanks i believe what i learned is that a mechanic who works on porsches is different than a mechanic who tunes for the track . i will speak to him today but my guess is that sway bar adjustments are not something he does frequently. i wonder now if i didnt catch the error what i would have felt at the track.
ok onto my next 2 projects just bought racekeeper (in the process of installing)and will buy my first trailer this week (i think open featherlite )
Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

they do that..
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: settings for sway bars