Sponsored by:

Yellow GT3 at Sloan (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalDan
I totally disagree with you (FFaust) regarding the PCCBs. They are a great a option that enhance the overall driving experience, but the original $8K sticker wasn't for everyone. Now that these cars are used, a buyer may pay more to have them, but only marginally, especially compared to the cost when new.

When they need replacement they are expensive, but can be replaced with steel rotors. To say they are a liability is simply an exaggeration.
Agree 100% with one exception - Gen 1s that were on the 996.2 GT3 as Faust points out. Do a search and uncover the numerous threads back in 2004-2005 discussing replacement cost due to longevity issues... Gen 2 fixed the problem, and are a no-brainer option on all subsequent GT3s (still up for debate, but I like 'em)...

-B
Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 168 Posts

I like the concept of PCCBs but not the execution. Not sure that I would agree that they are a "no brainer" for any GT3, even current. $8000 is alot of money for what you get. You can reduce the unspring weight the same amount or more with lighter forged wheels and two piece rotors. Plus you will have the street wheels and rotors to keep pristine. Stopping distance with PCCBs is no shorter and fade resistance is no better than stock steel rotors. Some like the initial bite but others have said it hinders heel and toe. So basically if you intend to track the car (and I personally don't see why someone would buy a GT3 if you don't) the ceramics make no sense. I guess if you are keeping the car in a bubble for investment purposes, say in 30 years they "might" make the car more valuable than a steel rotor car. But if you invested $8k for that long you could probably buy the entire car .
Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

PCCBs should have zero effect on value of a used 6gt3. Though, everyone knows yellow calipers look better
Old 03-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

For reference, my car had 980 miles on it when I bought it in 2007. I paid $79.5k.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Let me just say that as an educated Porsche purest I insisted on a PCCB car - And I have been thrilled with the result. I see it as a win-win-win for me to date.

As a street driver I like the feel of the reduced weight and the serious look of the gray discs - they do make noise though, but I kinda like that too.

As my track car the positives have been many - with improved chassis handling and their fantastic capabilities being most prominent.

As a PCA concours car having the vehicle equipped with "special" options has been a plus - and the yellow calipers to red contrast has attracted extra points.

I have tracked this car many times at a pace that most admire without having any disc issue. I stay out of the ABS cycle (brakes are for puzzys) and keep the pads fresh. I believe that if any of the previous PCCB users with issues had followed that procedure as well as I have then they would not have had any issue either.

I am not alone. That's just another positive experience for PCCB equipped cars. Ya' better get this yellow Slone car before its gone!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:45 AM
ssort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sloan is consistent. His cars are always over priced at least in my experiance after looking at a few cars he had for sale a few years back.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts

Newbie here, so take this FWIW. Last week purchased very similar 2004 GT3 with 7500 one owner miles. CPO, speed yellow, lots of carbon fiber,steel brakes, 121k orig msrp. Car was listed for $61990 and I reluctantly paid the full ticket. Now my local dealer has uncovered issues including 2bent wheels, a tire too old to pass cpo inspection, and shoddy maintenance. Hopefully PCNA will sort out these issues so I can truly enjoy my new toy.
Caveat emptor.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lfish
Newbie here, so take this FWIW. Last week purchased very similar 2004 GT3 with 7500 one owner miles. CPO, speed yellow, lots of carbon fiber,steel brakes, 121k orig msrp. Car was listed for $61990 and I reluctantly paid the full ticket. Now my local dealer has uncovered issues including 2bent wheels, a tire too old to pass cpo inspection, and shoddy maintenance. Hopefully PCNA will sort out these issues so I can truly enjoy my new toy.
Caveat emptor.
Bought it from Rizza? I was doing my homework on that car when it sold. I have the full DME download for that car, let me know if you want it.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-overrevs.html

It's that car that has blown my opinion of dealer CPO'd cars. Now I'm looking for well maintained, documented service history cars...CPO or not.

Last edited by ace996; 03-22-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lfish
Car was listed for $61990 and I reluctantly paid the full ticket. .
I think you did fine. Great cars & clean units are worth that kind of money +.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Michael B
I think you did fine. Great cars & clean units are worth that kind of money +.
Are you sure that 61.9K isn't too low?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

You said it my man!

Now your talkin my language.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Michael, Dell is trying to lower the market, as he is preparing for his return in a couple of years.

I think he might as well surrender now as these cars will only go one way..
Old 03-22-2011, 06:10 PM
kevin5889
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I called on that one too...... 80K seems really high. I just bought the yellow one in the Auto Trader for 56.5K last month. Asking 59K Mint condition, 11K miles, full carbon interior, teqequipment roll cage, racing seat and harnesses. Car only saw two DE's. the owner was a older fellow and didn't enjoy it all that much. GMG worked on the suspension too. PPI showed that the LSD is fried but when I drove it it makes noises when I turn so I'm assuming it's not quite done yet. This car is the best and puts my turbo to shame in the fun department. The only problem is that the yellow seems to attract unwanted law enforcement.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Fair enough Dan, I should have qualified my comments.

A) When shopping for a used car, you will often find two fairly identical cars with a price delta of anywhere between roughly $4k - $7k, which is evidently attributable to the PCCBs. When I said "the problem with this car...", I was addressing the comments above that stated that this particular Sloan car was too expensive. Bring the price down by $5k if it had steel brakes, and already it sounds better.

B) Concerning PCCBs being a liability, you will see that I said "some would say". I am personally on the fence on this one: They are clean, long-lasting, light, effective... but very dear. Me speccing them on a new car would depend on intended usage, but I don't think that I would *personally* be willing to pay the premium on a used car. But who knows, when you find the perfect car, it's hard to resist. Also, greatest benefit in my mind is un-sprung weight so, maybe.

Don't forget that the gen 1 PCCBs did have documented longevity issues, hence the gen 2.

Now, if you don't believe that *some* find these to be a liability, do a quick search on the topic, or have a look at the current related thread here https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...formation.html This is especially true of the folks who track a lot.

To each their own, but you must admit that PCCBs are not necessarily the end-all.

There's a job waiting for you in the diplomatic community Francois!!

Ask Bob Rouleau what his experience was with Gen 1 PCCB brakes.... and what value they bring to the table on a used car...

...another saying attributed to PT Barnum "There's a sucker born every minute!"

Old 03-22-2011, 11:53 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
I think he might as well surrender now as these cars will only go one way..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2HBdRCroks

Originally Posted by kevin5889
I called on that one too...... 80K seems really high. I just bought the yellow one in the Auto Trader for 56.5K last month. Asking 59K Mint condition, 11K miles, full carbon interior, teqequipment roll cage, racing seat and harnesses. Car only saw two DE's. the owner was a older fellow and didn't enjoy it all that much. GMG worked on the suspension too. PPI showed that the LSD is fried but when I drove it it makes noises when I turn so I'm assuming it's not quite done yet. This car is the best and puts my turbo to shame in the fun department. The only problem is that the yellow seems to attract unwanted law enforcement.
Looks like you got a GREAT deal. Welcome to this side of things Love yellow.

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
There's a job waiting for you in the diplomatic community Francois!!
In the last year, many things in my life seem to point to Ottawa: My car is there now (see my avatar); some family members are from there; Calabogie, Primo, PCA RSR, so maybe I could go and work for some embassy

Quick Reply: Yellow GT3 at Sloan (no affiliation)