Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

America's answer to SRF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011 | 11:25 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Exactly what teams are using it, on track?
Craig:

Chuck is out of the office today, but wanted me (Chris) to reply on his behalf.

These are the teams so far:
"Also, in the last couple of months: Michael Shank Racing (Grand Am), JDX Racing (ALMS), Dreyer Reinbold Racing (Indy Car) and Extreme Speed Motorsports (ALMS) have all made the jump over to Prospeed RS683."
Old 03-19-2011 | 12:06 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

OK. So, if you open a new bottle of fluid, and do a complete flush, where is the water coming from? The brake lines are all metal...not so permeable. The small amount of air in the reservoir may have a small amount of moisture in it, but the plastic reservoir is also not gas permeable. So, is the only moisture source in the gas above the fluid in the reservoir...maybe 100 ccs. of gas at maybe 50% humidity. There cannot be so much circulation between the reservoir and the pistons, where the temp is high enough to boil the fluid. I've always wondered.

As an aside, I flush a small amount out of each corner after each weekend, and have not had a soft pedal in the GT3 yet, with any fluid I've used, including ATE (although I have been using Motul 600). If anything, I use my brakes too much.
Old 03-19-2011 | 12:38 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ace996
I'll jump in here a bit, but only as a friendly...

The above is true, with MOST fluids. It is not true with SRF.

The dry boiling point is great if you do a full flush before your trackdays. I find this quite expensive with Motul, as I'm going through several bottles. And the fluid comes out like apple cider or worse.

With SRF, it has the highest WET boiling point...518 degrees. No other fluid has such a high WET boiling point. I don't really car if it's more hydroscopic than cheaper fluid (Castrol says it's not due to it's formulation), because when it does absorb some moisture, it's still better than most other dry fluids.

My last two years tracking an E90M3 and a C5Z06 with SRF, I've actually spent less on brake fluid than when I used Motul600. This is because I only need to do a simple bleed of fluid, not a full flush, to rid my system of fluid that's absorbed too much moisture. I'd never go to a trackday without at least a caliper bleed beforehand, just to rid the calipers of any boiled air, but I'm done with the bottles of Motul in my garage. A shot-glass of fluid out of each caliper to clear the air and burnt (if any) fluid and I'm good to go.

And if you run fast, you're hitting some real temps on those calipers. Boil fluid once, have your pedal go to the floor at 100mph once, and that's all the proof you'll need to run the "highest" boiling point fluid you can find. The most important "highest", IMHO, is the WET temp. And it'll take some pretty damn good fluid to make me switch from SRF...

Here's a listing of fluids, dry boiling points and wet boiling points for your review:
Fluid Dry BP Wet BP Est. BP after 6 months
Castrol SRF 590 518 554
NEO Super DOT 585 421 503
Motul Racing 600 585 421 503
Motul DOT 5.1 509 365 437
ATE Type 200/ATE Super Blue 536 392 464
Valvoline High Perf Synpower 503 343 423
ATE SL 500 329 415
Castrol LMA 450 311 381
Gunk DOT 4 Brake Fluid 510 311 411
DOT 5 Spec 500 346 423
DOT 4 Spec 446 311 379
DOT 3 Spec 401 284 343
Originally Posted by Chuck Price
OK. So, if you open a new bottle of fluid, and do a complete flush, where is the water coming from? The brake lines are all metal...not so permeable. The small amount of air in the reservoir may have a small amount of moisture in it, but the plastic reservoir is also not gas permeable. So, is the only moisture source in the gas above the fluid in the reservoir...maybe 100 ccs. of gas at maybe 50% humidity. There cannot be so much circulation between the reservoir and the pistons, where the temp is high enough to boil the fluid. I've always wondered.

As an aside, I flush a small amount out of each corner after each weekend, and have not had a soft pedal in the GT3 yet, with any fluid I've used, including ATE (although I have been using Motul 600). If anything, I use my brakes too much.
Chuck; read this clip it explains how the moister that is attracted to BF converts to steam (air) and creates the problems we're talking about. It also points out how this effect can be reduced. Chuck

How does brake fluid become contaminated?
Water/moisture can be found in nearly all brake systems. Moisture enters the brake system in several ways. One of the more common ways is from using old or pre-opened fluid. Keep in mind that brake fluid draws in moisture from the surrounding air. Tightly sealing brake fluid bottles and not storing them for long periods of time will help keep moisture out. When changing or bleeding brake fluid always replace master cylinder caps as soon as possible to prevent moisture from entering into the master cylinder. Condensation, (small moisture droplets) can form in lines and calipers. As caliper and line temperatures heat up and then cool repeatedly, condensation occurs, leaving behind an increase in moisture/water. Over time the moisture becomes trapped in the internal sections of calipers, lines, master cylinders, etc.

When this water reaches 212º F the water turns to steam. Many times air in the brake system is a result of water that has turned to steam. The buildup of steam will create air pressure in the system, sometimes to the point that enough pressure is created to push caliper pistons into the brake pad. This will create brake drag as the rotor and pads make contact and can also create more heat in the system. Diffusion is another way in that water/moisture may enter the system.

Diffusion occurs when over time moisture enters through rubber brake hoses. The use of hoses made from EPDM materials (Ethlene-Propylene-Diene-Materials) will reduce the amount of diffusion OR use stainless steel braided brake hose with a non-rubber sleeve (usually Teflon) to greatly reduce the diffusion process.

Source:http://www.imgt3performance.com/prospeedrs683.aspx
Old 04-19-2011 | 07:24 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

I have accumulated some additional information regarding the teams that have switched RS683 since our last discussion. That is the first listing. Now I believe that there are tendencies to believe that teams are paid in some way to promote a product. So there is a second list below that shows the finishes at this past weekend's Toyota Grand Prix at Long Beach where RS683 was used.

Here is a list of teams that have tested and switched, followed by the series they are in:

· K-PAX Racing – World Challenge (only the Touring Car class Volvo C30’s)

· A.J. Foyt Racing – IndyCar (when I spoke with Craig Baranouski, Chief Engineer, he said, “…it was the best pedal we’ve ever had”

· Dreyer & Reinbold Racing – IndyCar

· Panther Racing – IndyCar

· Compass360 – Grand AM Continental Tire Challenge (2010 season ST class champions)

· BGB Motorsports - Grand AM Continental Tire Challenge GS class

· AFS Racing – IndyCar

· Brimtek Racing – World Challenge TC (qualified on pole in St. Pete and finished 2nd in first race and 1st in 2nd race in class)

· Shea Racing – World Challenge TC

· BimmerWorld – Grand AM Continental Tire Challenge (2 cars in GS and 2 cars in ST)

· Bullet Racing – Grand AM Rolex 24 GT

· JDX Racing – ALMS GTC

Results of the Toyota Grand Prix at Long Beach:

Congrats goes out to the Andretti Autosport Team and Michael Conway in their 1st Place Finish at Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach!

It was also a good day on the track for Prospeed RS683 brake fluid. Take a look at the results below at the cars that were using Prospeed RS683 this past weekend at Long Beach.

Overall, cars running RS683 finished:

1st (Conway)
7th (Patrick)
9th (Meria)
14th (Saavedra)
17th (Hildibrand)
19th (Beatriz)
22nd (Wilson)
23rd (Hunter-Reay)
26th (Andretti)

thanks for allowing me some time to gather the information!

Chuck
Old 05-02-2011 | 08:09 PM
turbo911cm
Intermediate

BTW: Links not working, please fix
Old 05-02-2011 | 10:33 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by turbo911cm
BTW: Links not working, please fix
Fixed, thanks!
Old 06-17-2011 | 11:37 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Just an update on some of the teams running Prospeed as well...

World Challenge at Miller Motorsports Park... Prospeed RS683 takes 2nd and 3rd place in the Touring Car class with (2nd place) Ron Zita (Gila Monster/Zotz Racing) VW Jetta and (3rd place) Tristan Herbert (Brimtek Motorsports)
Old 06-21-2011 | 05:31 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Nice!!!
Old 06-21-2011 | 05:31 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Another Convert: Alex Job Racing tests Prospeed RS683 against Castrol SRF. And RS683 WINS!! Alex Job Racing is the most recent professional team to switch from SRF to Prospeed RS683.

PM us for more details about Prospeed RS683 or jump to our site

Quick Reply: America's answer to SRF!