Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

America's answer to SRF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 PM
turbo911cm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a "bench racer" sitting here reading some great information going back and forth here. But what I find interesting is that nobody here has acknowledged that there are some major teams that have paid professionals making supplier decisions who have signed on to this fluid vs SRF or Endless brake fluid. I went over to the facebook page of Prospeed and low and behold there are photos of testing sessions at Barber, the whole team testing the new set up- Alcon brake engineer included. Andretti trusts the safety of their drivers to this fluid and winning races as well.

Michael Shank just signed on as well, I mean this is not an overnight product made in China here.

I look forward to seeing if we are able to get SRF's secret numbers or not.

Great thread!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:03 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Actually we all know that a couple pro teams out of thousands are running this. Signing on to a fluid and claiming it is better are two different ball games. This happens all the time in the automotive industry.

But until I see more than "America's answer to SRF" there is no benefit to switching from SRF. There are questions to be answered before any of that takes place.

As I have said.......

1. I have always enjoyed trying other proven products until I find that "prefect" product for me. I have run about every tire and brake pad in the paddock.

2. I have never in my years racing and DE experienced anything but perfection with SRF in my cars. Never had a soft pedal. Never had to bleed over the weekend. Heck, I only bleed during pad changes. Does that mean I would never leave SRF? Absolutely not. If something out there is equal to or better I will try it. Just not in the guinea pig stage.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered some and I'm going to give it a try. My pedal does get a bit soft towards the end of 30 min + races and I use SRF. Not a huge problem the brakes are still there but I'd prefer if the pedal stayed the same throughout the race; so I'm going to try this and see if it works. Probably won't get it in the car until April for a back to back test.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Make sure you get the question answered I have yet to receive a response to regarding the mixing of SRF and this product when switching over.

RS683 website says: "Silicone is very tenacious stuff and you will never get it all out of your system".
Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

whats the shelf life of fluids (in a sealed container) such as SRF???
Old 03-11-2011, 01:02 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
whats the shelf life of fluids (in a sealed container) such as SRF???
According to the label it is 18 mos.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LVDell
Make sure you get the question answered I have yet to receive a response to regarding the mixing of SRF and this product when switching over.

RS683 website says: "Silicone is very tenacious stuff and you will never get it all out of your system".

RS683 is COMPLETELY miscible with (to the best of our knowledge) every other DOT 4 compliant brake fluid out there including SRF and it has no issues with magnesium. That said, the recommended “best practices” (for non-Pro team) procedure for changing a system over to RS683 is completely evacuate* the system of all previous fluid, then refill system with RS683.

* By evacuate I mean all the old fluid should be either pushed out with air pressure or “vacuumed” out in some manner. "TIP" I have flushed/filled several cars that started out with super blue. I started by trying the standard push the old fluid out with the new fluid and could NEVER get the new fluid to run clean. It always had a blue tint to it. Then I took to using air pressure to push the old fluid out of the system before filling with RS683. This worked much better for me and for the most part did not have the blue tint in the new fill any longer.

Chuck
Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

With respect to castrol srf I've done a full season 14 trackdays wo a rebleed. Would this new formulation prospeed be just as nonintrusive in terms of intervals? I don't mind trying new things but brakes is a very important safety device : ). Mike
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by IMGT3
* By evacuate I mean all the old fluid should be either pushed out with air pressure or “vacuumed” out in some manner. "TIP" I have flushed/filled several cars that started out with super blue. I started by trying the standard push the old fluid out with the new fluid and could NEVER get the new fluid to run clean. It always had a blue tint to it. Then I took to using air pressure to push the old fluid out of the system before filling with RS683. This worked much better for me and for the most part did not have the blue tint in the new fill any longer.

Chuck
This is the procedure I do and works much better than trying to push out old with new. I do this when I am doing a full flush. I also make sure to have 2 liters since you WILL have more air in the system so you need to do a super bleed after the flush and fill.

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
With respect to castrol srf I've done a full season 14 trackdays wo a rebleed. Would this new formulation prospeed be just as nonintrusive in terms of intervals? I don't mind trying new things but brakes is a very important safety device : ). Mike
Another reason I love SRF! I have never had to bleed the system after events and only do it when doing pad changes.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

My brakes improve with a very minor bleed that we do quite frequently. Again the pedal just gets a bit spongy and not really soft but it does improve after a little squirt from each caliper. The issue might not be the fluid...but it does prompt me to give the pedal a pump at the end of the straight towards the end of most races and I'd rather be focusing on something else.
IF the issue is dissolved air in the fluid then having 1 or 2% of the old fluid hanging around in the system is unlikely to cause a problem IMO. I know that air flushing works but I am reluctant to introduce that much air into the system as it has been my experience that it takes several bleeds to get it all out. I'd rather push the old out with the new and if this has to be done several times so be it. I'd rather have an old fluid/new fluid mix than a new fluid/air mix
So I'm going to try this but if there isn't an improvement I'll probably switch back to SRF that I have been quite happy with. It's the default fluid in the shop that I keep the car at and they don't need to be stocking a different brand of brake fluid for each car.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:02 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Mike. Prospeed is as non intrusive as SRF. These testimonials are available for you to review in the link below. please be your own judge. Chuck

http://prospeedmotorsport.com/blog/testimonials/
Old 03-11-2011, 03:32 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I appreciate all the good info in this thread. I too am always looking to try new things until I find a product I'm completely happy with. I don't think any of us can complain about SRF other than how much it costs. Would love to see a competator in the mix esp if that competator can get to a better price point.

Personally I'm a bit reserved about this new fluid though. I used Prospeed GS610 in my old 996 and it was the only fluid I've ever had problems with in that car. I had to bleed by lunch break of a DE when using it. This was with Pagid orange / black pads, cup car brake ducts, stock otherwise. I was highly disapointed in the fulid and my vendor was such a believer that he gave me new fluid free of charge thinking possibly the bottles I got had an issue. I completely flushed the system and re-bled the system and the next time out had the exact same experience. I went back to Motul 600 and my problems went away.

Andy

Andy; I went to the President of the company with your comments about GS 610. From one perspective (skeptical) you can argue that the comments are predictable. From another perspective (Convincing) they can be viewed as genuine. In my conversations I found them very genuine but I leave that for you to decide. He does ask a question however, as it relates to timing, and if you'd like to pursue the question, please supply me with the date of purchase.

Michael Wachholz:

I really don’t know what to say here. This is literally the first time I have ever heard a bad word about GS610. Typically I hear stories of good it was and how people loved it and were disappointed when it became difficult to source. I would be curious as to when he purchased and used GS610. The most recent production of GS610 was October 2005 and is therefore 3.5 years past its expiration date. Brake fluid (and this applies to all of them except SRF of which the bottle label says 18 months) should be disposed of if it is older than 24 months from the production date. We tested GS610 in June/July of 09 and found it no longer met spec. A press release on this can be seen at: http://prospeedmotorsport.com/blog/2...luid%e2%84%a2/

I suggest a quick read of the press release as it may contain information that is helpful. If you want to pursue it any further, please PM me. Chuck
Old 03-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Another reason I love SRF! I have never had to bleed the system after events and only do it when doing pad changes.
As as comment to this and 996FLT6 talking about never bleeding their brakes for 14 track days. We use ProSpeed in the BimmerWorld GS M3s and our ST 328s. On the GS M3 this is in a car with the stock brake system (Stock master, pedal assembly, ABS pump, etc but does have PFC front calipers and rotors) and it weighs about 3600 lbs(B/C of the rules of the series) when we are on track. At Daytona and this past weekend at Homestead we never bled our brakes. The brake pedal on the car is the same at the start of the 2.5 hour race as it is at the end. Now the system does get a check in between the races but the abuse on a track weekend on this car is a lot more than anything thrown at a car for a DE.

In our cars we have used about every fluid out there. We have experience with ProSpeed, SRF, Motul, ATE SuperBLue, etc in everything from a street/DE car to different specs of race cars using both stock and aftermarket brake systems. The ProSpeed is the best of the group and gives us the least amount of issues. On a race weekend any little issue is a big one for us as it keeps us off the track and not performing at 100%. We have to be at 100% or get eaten alive on the track. So for what it is worth I really like the ProSpeed 683.

The ProSpeed 683 is a great brake fluid. At the deal being offered right now it is hard to turn down. Any distributor of ProSpeed is offering this price. BimmerWorld has it offered here http://store.bimmerworld.com/special...uid-p1614.aspx

Last edited by Seth Thomas; 03-11-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the input Seth.

Not sure if you are bias or not since you have an agreement (?) with Prospeed but what can you offer in the form of juxtaposition with SRF and Prospeed?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Seth, thanks for the comments below! BTW, our promotion includes free delivery to RL members too! Chuck

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
As as comment to this and 996FLT6 talking about never bleeding their brakes for 14 track days. We use ProSpeed in the BimmerWorld GS M3s and our ST 328s. On the GS M3 this is in a car with the stock brake system (Stock master, pedal assembly, ABS pump, etc but does have PFC front calipers and rotors) and it weighs about 3600 lbs(B/C of the rules of the series) when we are on track. At Daytona and this past weekend at Homestead we never bled our brakes. The brake pedal on the car is the same at the start of the 2.5 hour race as it is at the end. Now the system does get a check in between the races but the abuse on a track weekend on this car is a lot more than anything thrown at a car for a DE.

In our cars we have used about every fluid out there. We have experience with ProSpeed, SRF, Motul, ATE SuperBLue, etc in everything from a street/DE car to different specs of race cars using both stock and aftermarket brake systems. The ProSpeed is the best of the group and gives us the least amount of issues. On a race weekend any little issue is a big one for us as it keeps us off the track and not performing at 100%. We have to be at 100% or get eaten alive on the track. So for what it is worth I really like the ProSpeed 683.

The ProSpeed 683 is a great brake fluid. At the deal being offered right now it is hard to turn down. Any distributor of ProSpeed is offering this price. BimmerWorld has it offered here http://store.bimmerworld.com/special...uid-p1614.aspx

Quick Reply: America's answer to SRF!