Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 GT2

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM
turbobooost
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The $65k price was one of those "GREAT" deals that show up sometimes BUT not the actual market for the car.. A "fire sale" perhaps..Either way, someone was at the right place at the right time...Congrats my friend....
Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by turbobooost
The $65k price was one of those "GREAT" deals that show up sometimes BUT not the actual market for the car.. A "fire sale" perhaps..Either way, someone was at the right place at the right time...Congrats my friend....
Definitely a killer deal well below market price. Probably $10-20k below?

Congrats to cphelps for that steal of a deal!

Phil
Old 02-22-2011, 12:02 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Was seriously checking out this car: http://www.mgmsl.com/nlisting.cfm?ID...2Da9f7974f3d7f. Does anyone know it?

Back and forth with dealer playing the stupid game. In my most recent email on FEB 19, asked the dealer about paintwork, paint levels, records, and setting up a PPI. Haven't heard from him since....
Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Carpyourdiem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike...My two cents on GT2 ownership must begin with the pleasure this car brings...looking at it...listening to it...and most of all, driving it. Like most people on this forum, I've had a few cars over the years, but nothing I can remember makes my hands shake after a spirited flog. It's a bit insane, actually. A giggly, giddy, goofy-eyed insane that forces you back into the car for another go.
People tell me I can "chip" the car for more power...ha! God bless them, but my money goes into chassis prep. I mean, how much quicker do you need to be looking out your side window?? 450 and 450 works just fine, thankyouverymuch.
My car is 90 percent street, 10 percent track and I take the time to adjust the sway bars...full soft for the street and whatever the track wants. My opinion is that this improves bump-absorption and driveability for the street and I'd love to hear what the experts on here think.
The low front air damn is just a pain in the *** and I can see it getting damaged in certain towns, or if you're in a hurry.
Many people have commented on the carbon brakes, especially the first series on the '03 you're looking at. I read on this forum that if you change your pads before they are more than half-way gone, the rotors last much, much longer due to less heat absorption/wear. Lot's of track guys switch to iron rotors due to cost, but I have not simply because unsprung weight is so important. If I could afford carbon wheels...
The car is edgy...a bit noisier than some would like, lower than most would like, faster than any of us truly need. But what does need mean?
In closing, every time my wife and I drive this car, one of us says, "If we totaled this car right now, it's been worth the money." And that was at '07 prices...f'in get it!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K964
Was seriously checking out this car: http://www.mgmsl.com/nlisting.cfm?ID...2Da9f7974f3d7f. Does anyone know it?

Back and forth with dealer playing the stupid game. In my most recent email on FEB 19, asked the dealer about paintwork, paint levels, records, and setting up a PPI. Haven't heard from him since....
Commited to the above car on an email to the dealer at noon last Friday. In that email, I asked about "next steps to be taken", and that the deal was contingent upon satisfactory PPI.

Heard nothing from sales guy so I phoned him on Saturday morning to once again inquire about "next steps". Told me he was "extremely busy but would call me within a few minutes". One and a half hours later I receive an email from sales douche alerting me that "someone else had put down a $1500 deposit on the car, paid more than what I was going to pay, and had no trade in" (I was trading in my Cayenne Turbo).

WTF is up with these unethical jerk off sales people? Karma is a Bitch sales douche Terry M at Marshall Goldman!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:31 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by K964
Commited to the above car on an email to the dealer at noon last Friday. In that email, I asked about "next steps to be taken", and that the deal was contingent upon satisfactory PPI.

Heard nothing from sales guy so I phoned him on Saturday morning to once again inquire about "next steps". Told me he was "extremely busy but would call me within a few minutes". One and a half hours later I receive an email from sales douche alerting me that "someone else had put down a $1500 deposit on the car, paid more than what I was going to pay, and had no trade in" (I was trading in my Cayenne Turbo).

WTF is up with these unethical jerk off sales people? Karma is a Bitch sales douche Terry M at Marshall Goldman!!!
Sales tactic; plain and simple.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

K9, I feel your pain. The guy was probably chasing two rabbits at once. Least he could have done is let you know and be open about it.

You have no idea how often I have prayed for karma.

On the other hand, give it a few months and you might be surprised at what you find. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Carpyourdiem
Track Day

I know we all hate to hear this when **** goes wrong...but I'll say it anyway: IT WAS MEANT TO BE!

Somewhere out there is a better car, have faith...and a better person to spend your money with. And as far as the saying, "It all comes around," my wife likes to add: "And I want to be there when it does!"

Looking at your impressive list of P-cars, I can't wait to hear what you think of "your new" 2...whenever the perfect one comes along.
-Nick
Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just looked at the web listing for the GT2.

The asking price was below market IMO. The true value of the 996 GT2 seems to be open to much interpretation. This is really a great opportunity to find one at a discounted price!

Should have jumped fast and hard on that one.

Better luck next time.

Phil
Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt

Phil
TWSS!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RollingArt

The asking price was below market IMO. The true value of the 996 GT2 seems to be open to much interpretation. This is really a great opportunity to find one at a discounted price!

Better luck next time.

Phil
Yeah I hear ya. But the price I was quoted was even lower than the price on their website. They probably own that car for something in the low-mid $60k range and would still be making money on that car plus my trade. That's why they are referred to as "stealers".

Putting on my Captain Obvious hat here, the market for toys is brutally soft here. I have first hand experience as I recently sold a track only RSA at a fraction of what I had into it. Cars are priced to sell or priced to sit. The silver GT2 at Goldman was priced to sell should it pass a PPI. There are some dreamers on 6 Speed who have priced their cars to sit. My search continues....
Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Right now I am looking at GT2's, given their current prices, and would like to know, barring value depreciation, why would you avoid a GT2 that had a little higher mileage in the mid 30's to low 40's? I would think they are like anything where if the right maintenance has been done, they should be fine?

I have found a couple that are in that mileage range and are now below $60k. With records and ownership history, any maintenance reason why these should be avoided?

Sorry if I derailed the thread.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 PM
va122
Drifting

Just make sure it has had the 30k service. I wouldn't shy away from higher miles so long as there's no evidence of abuse.

BTW, you can get like 700bhp out of these things!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Having something as coveted as the GT2 would be pretty amazing and where the prices are right now, it is much more attainable.
Other than the PCCB's what are some of the concerns with the GT2 that you dont have with the normal TT (other than the FWD of course).
Old 03-15-2011, 09:16 PM
va122
Drifting

LSD is probably fried.

Quick Reply: 2003 GT2