Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking opinions Brey Krause GT3 seat mount.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:17 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by neilwight
john,
agreed. its a less then efficient design for sure and while it does fit and work, the fact it requires puzzle solving and fouls the bottom of the seat is less than fantastic IMHO too. im with you here.

as an aside, i have a set of floor mounting with integrated sub bar mounts from BK and these also dont work properly if you want the seat in the furthest back position. with the seat side mounts attached to the floor mounts you cannot attach to the floor, with the mounts attached to the floor first the side frames cannot be attached. quite an oversight!!!! interested to hear how anyone got round this. i had to drill the sidemount so the rear is held to the floor mounts and the floor itself by the main mounting bolts. given the faff with their sidemounts seeing this didnt fill me with much joy to be honest. the seat also cant go back as far as id like with this either. with it in its furthest back position its forward of where i sit and thats forward of the seat all the way back. its a mess and i just went back to the regular frame setup.

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I had it on the original slider, but I was seating too high for my taste, so I went to the fixed BK option. Took 15 minutes and a wheel extension to seat at the right position. Before I could not see my cluster or anything in my dash as I have a Momo steering wheel. Now It's perfect.

Originally Posted by neilwight
can i ask how tall you are and what BK product you used? how far back in your car is the seat?
i got the 9044 setup with integrated sub bar and the 9079 side mounts and its a total no go without a ton of drilling and even after that it wasnt ideal and still too far forward.
i had the side mounts as far back as they could safely and physically go, a decent amount was hanging totally off the rear of the floor mount in fresh air and i couldnt get them any further without being able to get the rear floor mounting bolt in and still no good. the seat was still forward of the point where i usually sit, and where i usually sit is still forward of the seat pushed right back on the factory sliders.
interested to hear more details or see some pics incase i missed something when i tried.

Yes I want to know too, I was testing the 9044 mounts and apparently they messed it up again.
In their advertized back position you have to be 5f tall to fit.
Again drilling again patents..
Old 02-03-2011, 12:25 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC
The first drive sitting an inch lower was interesting; felt like I was a little kid, making vroom vroom sounds, except it was real.
Funny you mention that.
I was actually imaging the same thing.
New passengers that literally end up falling into the GT3 seats (at OEM heights) will have longer freefall time to look forward to now.

Thanks for the feedback BTW. Good stuff to know.

David
Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the PN# are R9044 and R9079.

The seat is mounted on the floor now. My leg position was perfect, but I was too far from the wheel so I got a quick release hub. fits perfect.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:11 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok but using the furthest back position and using the floor mounts bolt to secure the side mount you end up sitting about half way back if you were using the oem sliders. So how did you mount them?

TIA

John
Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hum ... I'll have to take some pics ... I'm not further back, otherwise, I wouldn't reach the pedals, I'm 6 1''
Old 02-04-2011, 08:27 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
hum ... I'll have to take some pics ... I'm not further back, otherwise, I wouldn't reach the pedals, I'm 6 1''
Ok that explains the PnP fitment. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Heeltoego
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an Evo located on the most rear position of the R-9044 w/o drilling any holes. In the third pic you can see its comparison to a GT3 seat on BK side mounts and OEM sliders. This position was comfortable for me, I am 6'3.
Attached Images    
Old 02-04-2011, 03:50 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

If the EVO was on oem sliders and at the furthest back position, then the end of the side mount would be where the second red line is..
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Heeltoego
7th Gear

You can gain another inch rearward but the side mounts will have to be modified, as in one hole drilled per side - a thru hole for the rear floor pan bolt.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes you can but this gives you exactly 1 inch more. Still you are not where you d be with the sliders full back..

I will leave the side mounts alone and use the first hole at the rear side of the mount as a thru hole for the rear floor pan bolt and drill two new holes with pivots to the floor mounts that will allow hiding of bolt heads and gain 3 inches.

Hence my comment of poor design and lack of R&D. Sell the product as a DIY kit and not charge me 200usd for making me drill ! If I wanted I could go to a shop and design my own floor mounts..but day has 24h and I need 25.. : )
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Heeltoego
7th Gear

It was never stated that this set-up retained the span of locations that the oem sliders provide. This provides a smaller range, and if a more tailored position is desired then modifications would be needed.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Heeltoego
It was never stated that this set-up retained the span of locations that the oem sliders provide. This provides a smaller range, and if a more tailored position is desired then modifications would be needed.
Russ, exactly!
Don't you think that it would be a better idea to put this remark in your site before someone buys the part? (And that applies for the problem with the lower hole on the GT3 side mounts.)

And btw isn't it obvious that the floor mounts would be used by people that have head clearance issues ergo they are tall and need the seat all the way to the back?
And further more, why you don't provide the 9044 floor mounts with a hall in every one inch so that the buyer can have a higher degree of adjustability. And lastly why not provide specific side mounts to be used with the 9044, mounts that don't have the cut out in the middle and with extra holes so one would be able to install them in 12+ different positions on the floor mounts.

John
Old 02-04-2011, 05:13 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Needless to add that I will probably have to relocate the sub belts bar more to the back to have it positioned in the right angle. So more holes needed there as well.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Heeltoego
7th Gear

John,

The site does say the amount of available mounting locations in the description on the item.

This was not specifically designed for very tall people like yourself, altho it can be appealing for them. With the changes Porsche made to the oem manual sliders, they are no longer compatible with fixed back seats. This setup allows people to avoid aftermarket sliders. This assembly once built can be easily installed for track days.

Many issues surface when excessive adjustment is allowed. That goes for the sub bar as well. The flange for mounting the bar will contact the belly of some seats, if it continues rearward enough for where you are trying to locate the seat. The decision was made that it would complicate things less if locations for the average sized users were provided, and cases that demanded a more tailored fit would need modding.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with John.

I was going to buy the R-9044 thinking it was the right product for tall drivers. Apparently it's a good fit for those who are 6'6" with a 30" inseam.

I hope Brey-Krause clues in and offers a solution that works for a normally proportioned 6'6" human (running Profi XL seats) who needs both leg and helmet room.

Quick Reply: Seeking opinions Brey Krause GT3 seat mount.