Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Fed emissions warranty is 8/80k as another poster indicated. I've gone through 4 SETS of cats all replaced under warranty. I think it's the track events and the heat generated along with vibration that aren't friendly to stock cats.

I currently have a used set of cats with a CEL which i'll put in to pass SMOG check and promptly take them off and save my cats. They're fairly expensive at $1600/per for OEM
Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Don't know hp but 20 lbs off for sure. Mike
Old 01-04-2011, 08:08 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone has a couple of decent stock cats let me know asap or I need to get going on another resolution.
My emissions expire in April which is right around the corner seeing the car wasn't going to move for a while and I work half the month. Time flies...
I am not holding my breath that the dealer will replace them. I've read all the warranty stuff and "normal use" sections.
The dealer would not even look at the cats until I failed emissions which then puts me on a short lease to lose my registration too. Slippery slope.
Either way, I think my best bet is replacement cats now.

Last edited by CT03911; 01-04-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

We should have a community cat among the Rennlist family, and whoever needs to pass the emission can borrow it.. (joke)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
We should have a community cat among the Rennlist family, and whoever needs to pass the emission can borrow it.. (joke)
I was just thinking that!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
Spent part of the day reading Cat questions. Entertaining.
I know my cats are either bad or going bad. If anyone can help me with one of the options below that would be great.

Anyone have a set of decent used OEM cats for sale?

Anyone selling a cat bypass setup?

Anyone used hi-flow 100/200 cell cats welded in AND O2 sensors w/o check lite?

Can anyone sell me new 200 cell cats?

Thanks.
Dennis
P0420/P0430 can be due to bad converters.

But these codes can be triggered by aging O2 sensors. The diagnostics guidelines are to make sure there are no aging O2 sensor error codes (some code readers can't or won't read more than one or two codes) or pending codes.

If aging O2 sensor codes present the recommendation is to replace the sensors, clear the error codes, and then drive the car to see if the inefficient performing converter error codes come back.

Other possible causes can be the #1 and #2 O2 sensors swapped. There's a valve lift fault. The #2 O2 sensor is aged. Or the 3-way converter is bad (worn out -- can't store oxygen).

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Leigh- when u coming down this season : ). My car should be ready by April : ). Mooty get use to seeing me behind u til the last lap in a race : ). Mike
the opposite
you might be in front of me.
but you only last 5 laps. then you have a tendency to drive straight off T1.

ready in april?
you move in snail speed?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:44 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
That's not a bad idea at all. I know i'll be taking my 'good' cats off as soon as I pass smog. Those things are almost worth their weight in gold.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 PM
CT03911
Banned

I am making some progress. A fellow Rennlister has cats for me that are comparatively low miles, minus the O2 sensors.
I plan to drive the car as is until the CEL comes on and take it to a CT dealer for warranty to see how quick they throw me out

Next, I will drop my system and put my sensors into the new "donor" cats, reinstall and drive. If I get no CEL than I will be off to get smog tested.
If I get a CEL, I know it is the O2 sensors and will probably replace or extend the rear one(s) for a better chance of not throwing codes.

That brings me to what will be left on the bench, my old cats. I plan to cut out the cats and weld in some nice 200 cell metal cats to fit, drill four holes for O2 sensors, purchase and install them. I say "I", but actually assisting and learning to weld is what I will be doing, as well as sourcing the parts.
In the end I hope to have a very custom track cat setup that is quality, a bit more open flowing and CEL free. I am hopeful to stay around $1000 total cost.
Oh, I will also cut open the spare OEM mufflers I have and remove a small amount of baffle.
From everything I can tell having some kind of cat (200 cell at least) and some kind of muffler will allow you to pass sound at the more restrictive tracks while still sounding better and having a "smog cat setup" in storage at home.
We'll see, I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

U can run catbypass with stock muffs with ^no issues with the sound *****. I ran at ls early on- ^no meatballs : ) plus sounds better. ^no need for 200 cell cats plus u lose weight wo it. Only thing is maybe 200 cell cats won't trigger cel. Mike
Old 01-06-2011, 12:57 AM
CT03911
Banned

Mike,
I don't want the CEL, that is half the battle (after getting by emissions that is.)
Therefor, I need at least a 200 cell cat and O2 sensors.
As long as I will have cats, that allows me to further mod the OEM mufflers (which I have done once but it made little difference) for more sound.
I also have come to believe the car was made to run with some backpressure from the cats and have been skeptical of running no cats and claims that helps performance.
None of this seems an exact science if not done step by step with dyno runs but just what I piece together from what guys are running when they get black flagged, various posts and online documentation. It sure sounds to me like the car needs some backpressure at the cat point and a balance between there and the mufflers.
The second set of cats and mufflers will allow me to tweak a setup that will be free flowing, louder but no too loud and maybe even street emissions legal.
Still need a source for cats and now O2 sensors - that someone has actually used on a GT3.

Quick Reply: Cat questions