Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a 315/30-18 MPSC?
Yes
48.15%
No
51.85%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Poll for 315/30-18 MPSC ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,362 Posts
Default Poll for 315/30-18 MPSC ...

title says it all ...
Old 12-11-2010, 10:27 AM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most definitely... how many yes to get a production run?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 AM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Infact, If they ever contemplated another run (which I very much doubt)... I would take 3 sets at least, I think you will find a lot of other guys doing the same
Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No, Nitto is better and cheaper
Old 12-11-2010, 02:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker
+996
Old 12-11-2010, 06:49 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Is nitto a road legal tyre though in europe?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

MPSC is the fastest r-compound you can also drive to and from circuits... on dry circuits. Feel free to disagree but in that case please post data....(yes I know the difference to Nitto is very small but still ) The tire is also lighter compared to many competitors.

I would think providing again the 315/30/18 size would be excellent for Porsche drivers but also for others as well...Corvette etc.

Think about all the 996 GT2 drivers with 12" wheels and 315/30/18 stock size: They cannot use anymore MPSC...Same applies for many fast cars...

5 years ago all the fastest street driveable cars were on MPSC. Nowadays, many of them are on Toyo and Nitto due to their wider sizes available. Michelin should provide 315/30/18 as a marketing move, because many track monster cars on track days etc. would drive again on those Michelins and not on competitors wide tires...

But these are just my 2 cents...
Old 12-12-2010, 05:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kaizu
MPSC is the fastest r-compound you can also drive to and from circuits... on dry circuits. Feel free to disagree but in that case please post data....
Nobody has claimed that Nitto is faster than the MPSC. The problem with the MPSC is the price, # of HC's before they are junk, require warmer track temps, and their unpredictable breakaway characteristics.

When you can get 2x the HC's out of a set of Nitto's and spend $500 less a set to only be a second slower on a 2 min circuit is a no brainer.

If you want to go fast and spend stupid money on tires then the logical choice on a DOT-R is the R6.

For me, after testing countless different tires and sizes, the logical choice was Nitto for DE's, and R6's for club racing. The MPSC makes zero sense unless you just have to have them.

But then again, many things we do with these cars is irrational, so selecting the MPSC over other choice makes sense
Old 12-12-2010, 07:06 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Originally Posted by Kaizu
MPSC is the fastest r-compound you can also drive to and from circuits... on dry circuits. Feel free to disagree but in that case please post data....(yes I know the difference to Nitto is very small but still ) The tire is also lighter compared to many competitors.

I would think providing again the 315/30/18 size would be excellent for Porsche drivers but also for others as well...Corvette etc.

Think about all the 996 GT2 drivers with 12" wheels and 315/30/18 stock size: They cannot use anymore MPSC...Same applies for many fast cars...

5 years ago all the fastest street driveable cars were on MPSC. Nowadays, many of them are on Toyo and Nitto due to their wider sizes available. Michelin should provide 315/30/18 as a marketing move, because many track monster cars on track days etc. would drive again on those Michelins and not on competitors wide tires...

But these are just my 2 cents...
Couldn't agree more,and if anyone takes a trip to the nordschleife carpark on a busy weekend just look at all the porsches around and you'll see 90% of them that are half quick will run mpsc,they are THE tyre of choice there,maybe its because of a 13mile lap i don't know but toyo r888 just don't cut it there,especially when running 4 laps in a row,mpsc is the only road legal tyre that can cut it and not go off,my 2 cents worth,again
Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Nobody has claimed that Nitto is faster than the MPSC. The problem with the MPSC is the price, # of HC's before they are junk, require warmer track temps, and their unpredictable breakaway characteristics.

When you can get 2x the HC's out of a set of Nitto's and spend $500 less a set to only be a second slower on a 2 min circuit is a no brainer.

If you want to go fast and spend stupid money on tires then the logical choice on a DOT-R is the R6.

For me, after testing countless different tires and sizes, the logical choice was Nitto for DE's, and R6's for club racing. The MPSC makes zero sense unless you just have to have them.

But then again, many things we do with these cars is irrational, so selecting the MPSC over other choice makes sense
I think for me personally given that my car does a few uk track days and mainly nordschleife driven,driving to and from not trailering,200-300 laps a year maybe on tourist days,which means the car has to be fully road legal,mpsc is worth the extra money all day long,ask people like manthey and they will only recommend mpsc,must be a reason,they wouldn't dream of advising someone to use toyo r888 on the ring,cheers
Old 12-12-2010, 08:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That's your choice and I fully respect that. However, Just makes no sense how that is worth the extra money.

We can drive NT01's to and from the track just like the MPSC. A set of NT01's is 1K installed. For a set of MPSC in the smaller 295 rear it would be $500 more installed to go 1 sec faster on a 2 min circuit. Waste of money. So I still do not see your logic. 3 sets of Nitto's is the price of 2 sets of MPSC. I can get 35-40 HC's on the NItto and about 1/2 that on the MPSC. So 100 HC's vs. 40 HC's is easy math. Michelin makes a great tire but not at that price. Now if somebody was paying for my tires, then it would be a different story

I agree, the R888 is junk.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell

Old 12-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Kaizu
Instructor

LVDell has good points but just an additional comment so you don't think we're complete idiots (ehem..we are... ): The fan base of MPSC in Europe where I and GT2rainge live is much larger due to these reasons:

A) Lack of trailering street driveable track cars. In US many trailer and have trucks and pickups for that. Not so in the Europe for street driveable cars. Overall, we have less cars and they are more expensive (996 GT3 over USD 100k in my country...) and you don't even have good space to keep your additional cars in most cities. This leaves Hoosiers out of the question when pursuing maximum speed...For guys doing 'arrive and drive' with a single car MPSC has been the tire to choose.

B) Lack of Nittos in Europe. Not sold here. I have friends who have ordered them from US but it gets expensive as we have to due to EU add VAT (23% in Finland) plus customs (5% in Finland) plus the freight costs a lot. Michelins you can find everywhere if you need a spare one or so.

Btw. About HCs and durability, my experience comes from GT-R with 18" Nittos, it was fast but the tires were toasted in few laps... (Well with that car perhaps it's the same with all tires... )

Ps. But I do AGREE that it's pretty much the same with what r-compounds you drive...All are good and these are no race cars... I just find this audience very enthusiastic to maximize their cars potential (you know...those who mod the heck out of these completely good cars...)....in that sense MPSC fits the picture well.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Makes perfect sense.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:58 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Kaizu nailed it. ! Trailers (and caravans ) are a no go here..

Now all we have to do is bring the Nittos over here or wait 4-5 years for the PAH free next generation of R tires just to see that they won't cover 18"s.. : )

Quick Reply: Poll for 315/30-18 MPSC ...