Sponsored by:

Tall Driver Headroom/Legroom

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tall Driver Headroom/Legroom

I've reviewed all previous posts about headroom/legroom and have been doing my research. I'd appreciate the forum's latest thinking.

I'm 6'6"/230. I've owned E36/E46/E90 M3's (all without sunroof) and track the E46 with Profi XLs mounted on VAC (long) floor & side mounts (no sliders). Helmet clearance is fine.

I've driven two 996 GT3s with standard seats: headroom without helmet is passable, legroom is not. How much will the following benefit headroom (expect some - and need it for helmet) and legroom (not sure I'd get any - and definitely need it!):
  • Console delete
  • Profi XLs (could go narrower, but need high harness holes)
  • Brey-Krause R-9080 & R-9081 mounts (without sliders)?

I've seen it written that XL's mount lower using bottom mount - not sure how this would work on a side mount seat. Other (narrower) seat options are okay - just need more harness hole height than a Pole Position (and thus likely the Euro Recaro).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:52 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Im 6'6 and had similar problems but in a 997. Here's the solution:

Using a plate of aluminum fabricate a base for the seat that uses the OEM bolt holes. Mount your side mounts to that plate. That way your seat is as low as possible and you can put it as far back as you want.

Mine is so low that I had to drill holes in the bottom of the seat to access the seat bolts.

Console delete is good.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:03 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a thing for tall guys so I 'll go first : )

To use oem Recaro seats and fit you need:

1. console delete
2. wheel extension http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96211.htm *that's my car in the picture btw
3. lowered seat brackets from Brey Krause for Euro GT3 seats part R-907x

With the above the helmet will not touch the roof, leg will H&T, and steering wheel will be in the right place I have this setup now and
I am 197cm and 200 lbs

Now if you install a front cage and want to clear it 100% then the only way to go is to remove the sliders completely and bolt the seat to the floor.
For that Brey makes a seperate floor mounting bracket.

This is what I am planning to do next but with Recaro Pro Racer seats instead of Euro GT3 seats for better placement of the shoulder belt holes.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:07 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Actually, I went first. Thanks for coming out though. :P

You probably have the better solution though. I needed to go my route because I'm about 290lbs and needed a seat that doesn't bolt into a 911 without custom fabrication.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't you want any bracketry to me made of steel not ally? Especially with 240lbs in it?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:53 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Had a steel plate. Stained the carpet with rust. The aluminum plate is a quarter inch or three eighths thick. More than strong enough.

Remember, your entire suspension and subframe are aluminum.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Dan whot you r doing in the tall people thread mate?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
Im 6'6 and had similar problems but in a 997. Here's the solution:

Using a plate of aluminum fabricate a base for the seat that uses the OEM bolt holes. Mount your side mounts to that plate. That way your seat is as low as possible and you can put it as far back as you want.

Mine is so low that I had to drill holes in the bottom of the seat to access the seat bolts.

Console delete is good.
Wonder where you got that idea .... ?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Talking

Thanks guys.

Slow, do the Brey-Krause R-907X and R-908X (with Euro GT3 seats) move you back as well as down?

You drive fantastic cars - I just wish they weren't sized for little girls.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:17 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Brey's 907x side brackets moves you down and as you have to use their front upper hall * the lower one can't be used the seat hits the oem sliders handle (its brey"s mistake and I have told them) so actually the whole seat is lowered and reclined to the back a bit compared to how it would be positioned if you had used the oem side brackets.
Now to move it a bit more back you have to modify the oem sliders stops. It's an easy DIY if you have some basic tools.

Now if you use their 908x series for floor mounting you can have the seat positioned lower and have it as oem or reclined .
Also you can modify the mounting points to put the seat as back as possible.

Also check first what rear cage you use cause you have to make sure the seats back clears the cage’s harness bar.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Brey's 907x side brackets moves you down and as you have to use their front upper hall * the lower one can't be used the seat hits the oem sliders handle (its brey"s mistake and I have told them) so actually the whole seat is lowered and reclined to the back a bit compared to how it would be positioned if you had used the oem side brackets.
Now to move it a bit more back you have to modify the oem sliders stops. It's an easy DIY if you have some basic tools.

Now if you use their 908x series for floor mounting you can have the seat positioned lower and have it as oem or reclined .

Also check first what rear cage you use cause you have to make sure the seats back clears the cage’s harness bar.
Perfect! Thank you sir.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you modify the OEM slider stops? In what way and with what tools? Have you done this or just seen it done?

And how do you "modify the mounting points to put the seat back"? What does this mean? Drilling? Welding?

I don't want to replace the seats and I still need sliding functionality for the wife.

Thanks,
6'4" and all legs.
996 Targa
Old 03-17-2011, 05:11 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Done it.
At the end of each one of the rails there is a metal plate that acts as a stop for the sliders. With it removed the seats can go all the way to the back at the point that you can actually touch the rear seat or a rear cage if you have one.

You don't want that so one idea is to shorten these tabs by bending them in a vice or if you don't want to destroy them have a shop make copies for you in a shorter version.
I gained 1inch room this way, the seat's back stopped 3mm from the cage.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:48 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Done it.
At the end of each one of the rails there is a metal plate that acts as a stop for the sliders. With it removed the seats can go all the way to the back at the point that you can actually touch the rear seat or a rear cage if you have one.

You don't want that so one idea is to shorten these tabs by bending them in a vice or if you don't want to destroy them have a shop make copies for you in a shorter version.
I gained 1inch room this way, the seat's back stopped 3mm from the cage.
I'm going to file this post away for when I need it (hopefully soon), as I'm 6'4" and the wife will FREAK if I hard-mount a seat to the floor again.

Thanks John,
TomK
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

That is an absolute plus in my book..

Quick Reply: Tall Driver Headroom/Legroom