Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild of rotors (done)- WITH PICS NOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Without aggressive tires/pads and lots of track use, I don't imagine they would need to be rebuilt on a given schedule provided that the car sees regular fluid changes. At the end of the day, internal corrosion will be caused by water accumulation in the fluid. I don't think anybody can boil even the cheapest brake fluid on street tires, and perhaps quite a few people won't even get the brakes that hot on r-comps...

^ For plugging the caliper, I generally use silicone vacuum end plugs -available at places like Advance Auto, they usually come in a molding/package with many sizes.

Last edited by Ahmet; 10-24-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: additional notes.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I only rebuilt mine after I got tired of trying to replace the ceramic "buttons" on the ends of the pistons(forget about trying to glue them back on) . Dust boots are pretty useless as they get very hot so the rubber turns brittle and falls away very quickly. The dealer only has listings for the dust boots and an O-ring (they will try and sell you a new caliper). The real rebuild kits come with the pistons(with buttons attached) and are only only available through someone that deals in PMNA parts . Brembo is not allowed to sell them directly.
I.E.
http://store.trgparts.com/rear-calip...kit-p9036.aspx

If you do a search in this forum the part # for the front has been listed as well.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reality is you should only have to replace the Rubber components in a rebuild. If you need to replace the pistons... you have waited to long too address the problem!

When the Time comes Mike is corret only a PMNA source can get you the piston!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

O.K. let's say rebuilding them 2X a year is too much and burning your fingers holding the buttons in place while trying to get the pads replaced on a track day is not enough.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
O.K. let's say rebuilding them 2X a year is too much and burning your fingers holding the buttons in place while trying to get the pads replaced on a track day is not enough.
u need one of those expensive and big pad spreaders. i needed 30 fingers and four arms to do pad changes until i borrowed the thing from a friend. after using it once, i told him i dont care how much that thing cost, i am buying a few. i got three now ;-)

it's like impact gun for wheel changes. life is not worth living without one
Old 10-24-2010, 12:07 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike K.
I only rebuilt mine after I got tired of trying to replace the ceramic "buttons" on the ends of the pistons(forget about trying to glue them back on) . Dust boots are pretty useless as they get very hot so the rubber turns brittle and falls away very quickly. The dealer only has listings for the dust boots and an O-ring (they will try and sell you a new caliper). The real rebuild kits come with the pistons(with buttons attached) and are only only available through someone that deals in PMNA parts . Brembo is not allowed to sell them directly.
I.E.
http://store.trgparts.com/rear-calip...kit-p9036.aspx

If you do a search in this forum the part # for the front has been listed as well.
i dont think the ceramic cap is needed. my dies after a few days, i dont use them.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:30 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
u need one of those expensive and big pad spreaders. i needed 30 fingers and four arms to do pad changes until i borrowed the thing from a friend. after using it once, i told him i dont care how much that thing cost, i am buying a few. i got three now ;-)

it's like impact gun for wheel changes. life is not worth living without one

Our you can get a set of these... PM for detais!
Attached Images   
Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i have the spring clip tool for my street car. i dont bother using the spring clip on the race car.
the 2nd tool i am not familiar with. but with the big spreader thing i got, i can change pads as the car comes off hot on track.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:43 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

The 2nd tool spreads the pads like the expensive tool but for a whole lot less...
Old 10-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont think the ceramic cap is needed. my dies after a few days, i dont use them.
Mooty, I don't think we are talking about the same buttons. The ones I think you are talking about are commonly referred to are the "spider" clips or buttons. Like the springs they are pretty much useless for track purposes. The buttons I am talking about are glued to the pistons and act as an insulator . I've run without a couple but it is a very bad idea for several reasons.
This is what they look like:
http://store.trgparts.com/replacemen...rts-p9040.aspx

sorry about using the same site but it is easiest to find pics.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:12 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ u r right. i was talking about spiders.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:29 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what actually holds the ceramic buttons in, the rubber dust ring?
Now that my rubber dust caps or rings are shot the ceramic pads tend to fall out on pad changes.
Am I correct in assuming with the caliper off and the dust cap and ceramic ring off you can then see into the piston area and replace the o-ring seal there.
Next, assuming that all looks ok and goes well, you put on the dust cap, push in the ceramic button and you are done.
Sounds easy. Do I have it right?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:14 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The caliper pistons are cupped shaped. The ceramic button fits into this area. I am not sure if it is glued or pressed fit. I tried to press it in put I stopped because I did not want to break the ceramic button. The cup seal can only be accessed by removing the pistons with compressed air. Little tricky procedure since all pistons need to be removed evenly with air with the assistance of a properly sized shim. I found a general procedure via google.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:16 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the BREMBO seal rebuild units, ready to go.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 AM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Craig. I expect to call you and tackle this project.

Quick Reply: Rebuild of rotors (done)- WITH PICS NOW!!