Sponsored by:

Should I buy a Cup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Victor- I'll make it simple. Strip your bit..h. U done everything else. Both dumbass Mooty and I finally understand for our cars lw is the key to making an already amazing car a real amazing car. Truth be told have u yield the full potential of the car. If not that should really make your decision easy. Cupcar it ain't and professional racers we aren't too- we're weekend warriors looking for fun. Didn't u mod your car for fun? Mike
You're right Mike, I'm in this for fun. Maybe I'll leave things alone.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,887 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
You're right Mike, I'm in this for fun. Maybe I'll leave things alone.
chicken....
pu**y....
wuss....

we need a counterpart in so cal.
do you drive with POC?
strip it and do GT3 class with me. it's fun. and you are much closer to POC in so cal.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

I drove mooty's car. Whatever u done to the car don't hold a candle to it. Let's just say whatever best laptimes u sweated out nonstripper is supereasy : ). Whole different plateau now. Now when u strip it now u have to work at sweating again to get another 3 seconds
Off your best laptime : ). Mike
Old 10-20-2010, 11:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,887 Likes on 2,408 Posts

the first time out in my stripper i was 4 seconds faster at LS than my street 6.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 AM
va122
Drifting

4 s? Now I'm really tempted....again.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Where you track aren't you having fun as it is? Is there any competition? Would a cup car offer more advantages than worries? What’s the point of tracking a cup if you track alone?
Do you have other cup car there to run with? Are you near your personal limits with the 6?

I always think people adjust either due to competition or personal agenda that involves some kind of drama (look 911slow).
From what I understand you have neither, so since the car is modded to a fine degree do some more stuff to it that aren’t very expensive and keep tracking it.

Also from what I read here in RL about current US market the money you ll get for it are inappropriate for the car you ll sell.

So maybe keep the 6 mooty-fied it completely and buy something else for the road to have fun with between Vegas track days or leave the car alone if you are not committed enough and get yourself a real stripper girl, she ll turn out to be cheaper and more fun. (at least for a month or so)
Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 AM
va122
Drifting

You're right. I don't compete anymore so what does it matter. I should leave well enough alone.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:16 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hire a pro coach to drive your car solo and see what lap times he gets. Compare to yours. You might find you need to work on the nut behind the wheel some more. That's my story.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:27 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

U know don't listen to us. It's your car and do what u want. It's just with what u done sounds like a progression to the next step. I embrace u either way : ). Mike
Old 10-21-2010, 01:27 AM
va122
Drifting

that would be interesting...good idea
Old 10-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

also, if you want to rob a store, dont. go rob a bank. you get more money if you dont get caught. u get the same sentence if you do get caught.
Might as well get a Cup Car then

In all this discussion about what to do to the car I would get a Cup Car if my car were track only. For the money you will put more into a street car trying to get it as fast as a Cup Car and still never get there. If you still aren't sure what to do then take $5K that you are planning for your next mod and rent a cup car for a day. I promise you once you get finished with that day there will be a for sale sign on the street car and the cup car will be sitting in the garage.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Excellent point Seth. I went through the same process. Went I got to the point where Vic is and decided it was time to rip out the interior and throw a cage in, I decided I needed to sell it and get a purpose built, dedicated race car to go racing. However, if I was "just" doing DE and the street GT3 was preferred vehicle then I would have gone through with the stripping and caging of the GT3.

DE? street GT3 with stripping and cage with the understanding that as much as you try it will NEVER be a cup. But that is ok.
Racing? cup
Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Excellent point Seth. I went through the same process. Went I got to the point where Vic is and decided it was time to rip out the interior and throw a cage in, I decided I needed to sell it and get a purpose built, dedicated race car to go racing. However, if I was "just" doing DE and the street GT3 was preferred vehicle then I would have gone through with the stripping and caging of the GT3.

DE? street GT3 with stripping and cage with the understanding that as much as you try it will NEVER be a cup. But that is ok.
Racing? cup
I agree with what you are saying and I have been down that road before. Even if you don't plan on racing it I would still do the cup car. For the price a good 996 cup car is right now you can get a factory built racecar with a cage and lots of goodies for just a little bit more than a GT3. The Cup Car will be easier to sell closer to the price you have in it than the GT3 down the road. Making a street car a track only car with a cage will always be a hard sell especially with a cup cars so cheap. And in a DE/TT environment the Cup is overkill but will still do everything you would ask the GT3 to do and more.

Here's an example of what I am talking about. The info on this forum is saying a GT3 street car is in the $45K-$50k range. 996 Cup cars are trading in the $55k-$70K range right now. I know of a nice one at $60K. So at $45K for a street car, labor to strip the car $2k(depending on how far you go), $5k for a cage, etc. This all puts you within an easy $10K of a cup car. Turning the street GT3 into a track only beast creates a hard sell for the future. The Cup always has buyers.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Doesn't a Cup Car require more maintenance? Aren't the parts more expensive? What about insuring a Cup Car as opposed to a street legal GT3?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:57 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The cup with take more to run ($$$) than the street GT3. The nice thing about the street GT3 is is tire choices, intervals, etc, that the cup can't follow.

However, Seth is spot on (QUIT THINKING SO RATIONAL SETH!!!! ) in that the cup will maintain it's value better over time. My problem is that I have never thought about resale when I bought a car.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Cup?