Sponsored by:

Thinking of a GT2

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thinking of a GT2

I've found a nice low-miles '03 GT2 that I am seriously considering buying. It would be a weekend car/track toy.

I currently have an '02 C4S that is a track toy. I've added PSS10s, Euro GT3 seats, 6-pt harnesses and roll bar, otherwise it's stock. I track 1-2 days per month, been doing it for 6-7 years with various cars.

Anyway - besides the massive power difference, what other differences would I expect when tracking the GT2? Any and all comments and criticisms are welcomed.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 PM
unterbergamotten3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would have permanent cramping in your higher cheek areas....
Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Simonoz
Track Day

In no serious order, you might find when tracking a GT2 rather than a C4S, that a combination of the events herein may occur. For simplistic purposes I have split them into wet and dry
Others may care to add their own to the list, as its by no means definitive...

DRY
No real need to use the rear vision mirrors
An increased focus on where you are (or are about to be), otherwise known as depth perception, ie, as in how deep you are standing in it.
A heightened appreciation of the benefits of an engine located behind the axle ie traction.
A sudden understanding of the reasons why some people love turbocharging as a power additive.

WET
An instant understanding of the German sense of humour.
A sudden yearning for your old 4WD system.
Knowing where the saying "spinning like a top" comes from.

Above all though, I hope you will find the whole GT2 experience addictive, amusing, and well worth the effort and expense. These cars are outstanding, as many here will attest.

Best of luck with your choice.

Simonoz
2001 GT2
1974 Carrera RS tarmac rally car
ex 1992 964RS
ex 1973 Carrera RS
ex 1996 Carrera RSCS
ex 1996 993 Turbo
Old 10-19-2010, 12:35 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

What are the prices for 6gt2's these days? Mike
Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

You will find the car more sensitive to proper alignment particularly rear toe. For tracking replace the toe links with monoball units and use locking plates rather than the eccentrics. This will allow the car to keep proper alignment when you get on the gas and to hold the alignment for a number of track days. Once you get used to the car you will probably want to get rid of the rest of the suspension rubber. Also pay attention to the LSD. You will probably kill it after a few track days. There is nothing like a Guard replacement. Remember to start slow and work up to speed. These cars like a smooth hand and can bite if not treated with respect. On a lighter note I think that Simonoz pretty much covers it.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:56 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tracking out as boost spikes with 2wdr vs tracking out with a NA motor and 4wdr - you are going to have to learn how to do this again with the gt2 - this is where the car can snap. Everything is doable, don't be afraid to try. As they say, check you ego at the door.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:53 PM
vtc4198
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a black 02 in NJ for 74k
Old 10-19-2010, 05:18 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Shameless Plug. 02 GT2 with GT3 seats/DAS Bar, Full Monoball suspension, RS Uprights, Moton 3 way shocks, 600/800# springs, CCW 9 and 12 x 18 wheels, GMG Exhaust, GIAC Tune (mild) new 1/2 shafts, New radiators and associated piping as they were 8 years old. Lots I am leaving out. Runs sub 2 min @ VIR on R Comps, 2:01 @ Daytona on Michelin PS2's (180 mph on TrakMate) and 2:18 @ Sebring on Michelin PS2's 21,000 miles. 2nd overall 2009 OLOA $65,000

Peter
Old 10-20-2010, 01:50 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Simonoz
In no serious order, you might find when tracking a GT2 rather than a C4S, that a combination of the events herein may occur. For simplistic purposes I have split them into wet and dry
Others may care to add their own to the list, as its by no means definitive...

DRY
No real need to use the rear vision mirrors
An increased focus on where you are (or are about to be), otherwise known as depth perception, ie, as in how deep you are standing in it.
A heightened appreciation of the benefits of an engine located behind the axle ie traction.
A sudden understanding of the reasons why some people love turbocharging as a power additive.

WET
An instant understanding of the German sense of humour.
A sudden yearning for your old 4WD system.
Knowing where the saying "spinning like a top" comes from.

Above all though, I hope you will find the whole GT2 experience addictive, amusing, and well worth the effort and expense. These cars are outstanding, as many here will attest.

Best of luck with your choice.

Simonoz
2001 GT2
1974 Carrera RS tarmac rally car
ex 1992 964RS
ex 1973 Carrera RS
ex 1996 Carrera RSCS
ex 1996 993 Turbo
Brilliant, made me chuckle!!!

Originally Posted by rodjac
You will find the car more sensitive to proper alignment particularly rear toe. For tracking replace the toe links with monoball units and use locking plates rather than the eccentrics. This will allow the car to keep proper alignment when you get on the gas and to hold the alignment for a number of track days. Once you get used to the car you will probably want to get rid of the rest of the suspension rubber. Also pay attention to the LSD. You will probably kill it after a few track days. There is nothing like a Guard replacement. Remember to start slow and work up to speed. These cars like a smooth hand and can bite if not treated with respect. On a lighter note I think that Simonoz pretty much covers it.
Upgrading the toe links was one of the best additions to the car, as mentioned, it takes away the floaty feel during some high speed sweepers/off camber elevation changes, etc. And check the LSD also as mentioned before buying the car, most of the time its fried.

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Tracking out as boost spikes with 2wdr vs tracking out with a NA motor and 4wdr - you are going to have to learn how to do this again with the gt2 - this is where the car can snap. Everything is doable, don't be afraid to try. As they say, check you ego at the door.
Good info as well, with a nice setup suspension wise with a matching set of nice sticky tires to match, you can get on the gas almost full swing while tracking out a bit wider and smoother. The mechanical grip coupled with good tires is just unreal, car squats and goes!

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Shameless Plug. 02 GT2 with GT3 seats/DAS Bar, Full Monoball suspension, RS Uprights, Moton 3 way shocks, 600/800# springs, CCW 9 and 12 x 18 wheels, GMG Exhaust, GIAC Tune (mild) new 1/2 shafts, New radiators and associated piping as they were 8 years old. Lots I am leaving out. Runs sub 2 min @ VIR on R Comps, 2:01 @ Daytona on Michelin PS2's (180 mph on TrakMate) and 2:18 @ Sebring on Michelin PS2's 21,000 miles. 2nd overall 2009 OLOA $65,000

Peter
Peter's GT2 is just incredible, I would highly look into it, but remember it's a SERIOUS car.

All great info from these guy's, and I have a ton to add but don't know where to start. Just don't be scared of the car, but respect it until you learn the cars characteristics/limits, the car has SO MUCH POTENTIAL and is so fast in general, especially around circuits it can be mind boggling. I have ran with Radical's, cup car's, etc etc .... And it's always nothing short of amazing each and every time out on the track with the car

best of luck with your purchase!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:50 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and humor. Folks on Rennlist are great.

In any case, I have a lot to think about.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 PM
TTKan
Pro

Have you checked out Willhoit's GT2? Nice options and a factory roll bar.

http://www.willhoitenterprises.com/car408.htm
Old 10-21-2010, 02:57 PM
jr2
Intermediate

Wink

Recheck your 401(k) and retirement account beneficiaries, and update your will and life and long term care insurance policies
Old 10-24-2010, 11:30 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Get one !!! I loved mine!!!
Remember ,,,,,,, don't take this wrong.. C4s is a girls car in comparison!! Like comparing a miata to a gt3!!! I am serious...
Old 10-24-2010, 11:38 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
I've found a nice low-miles '03 GT2 that I am seriously considering buying. It would be a weekend car/track toy.

I currently have an '02 C4S that is a track toy. I've added PSS10s, Euro GT3 seats, 6-pt harnesses and roll bar, otherwise it's stock. I track 1-2 days per month, been doing it for 6-7 years with various cars.

Anyway - besides the massive power difference, what other differences would I expect when tracking the GT2? Any and all comments and criticisms are welcomed.
I would use my roll bar seats and harnessess and put the GT2 seats in your c4s when you sell it.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a GT2