Sponsored by:

After air con removal advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default After air con removal advice please

Hi everyone i've decided over winter i'm going on a weight saving exercise and doing a few things i've wanted to do for a while. The first job is to completely remove all the aircon system,my question is about the engine drive belt,does a different pulley need putting in place of the compressor so the belt takes the same path or is there a shorter belt available that will just work with the compressor taken out of the way,any advice is really appreciated,cheers
Old 10-12-2010, 10:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

i just run a shorter belt. however, i dont know the length as i had my tech do all the work. but you dont need new pulley.

make sure u kill off heater and heater core and all the lines/plumbing under the car that's covered up by the plastic shield.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

If you are going that far, think about removing your power steering pump and installing the Cup pump up front. You lose the engine weight and move it forward.

Mooty can you read the belt number?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin

not any time soon. it's at the shop getting more work done. like fixing the throttle pedal that DISAPPEARED during my race last weekend.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2rainge
Hi everyone i've decided over winter i'm going on a weight saving exercise and doing a few things i've wanted to do for a while. The first job is to completely remove all the aircon system,my question is about the engine drive belt,does a different pulley need putting in place of the compressor so the belt takes the same path or is there a shorter belt available that will just work with the compressor taken out of the way,any advice is really appreciated,cheers
Neil just wondering. Considering that there are a lot of ways to reduce weight and the weight saved by the A/C removal wouldn't you miss the A/C in the summer in the RING?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Neil just wondering. Considering that there are a lot of ways to reduce weight and the weight saved by the A/C removal wouldn't you miss the A/C in the summer in the RING?
Hi,the air-con has never worked on my car since i got it,which is over 3 years now and i don't remember a time when i thought i wish i had my a/c now. Going to do some other things as well as this though so hopefully it will all add up.
Another question i forgot to ask about doing this in the first place is,what do you have to do with the fuel cooler line,the fuel pipe runs through something on the a/c pump,anyone got any ideas?cheers
Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Neil, you have two options with the fuel cooler.

1) Leave it

2) Remove it and make a short pigtail fuel line to bridge the two ports. A better solution is to run a seperate NEW fuel return line from the FPR under the intake manifold. The factory return line is sort of a restriction. Be careful with your fitting selections.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:34 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Neil, you have two options with the fuel cooler.

1) Leave it

2) Remove it and make a short pigtail fuel line to bridge the two ports. A better solution is to run a seperate NEW fuel return line from the FPR under the intake manifold. The factory return line is sort of a restriction. Be careful with your fitting selections.
Cheers for the advise really appreciate it,think i need to look into some fuel line alternatives and make the return line better whilst i do this,do you know of any off the shelf upgrade kits for this or is it just a make your own bespoke job?
Also do you know where the cup car steering pump conversions can be sourced or porsche part number needed,many thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'll post a few pictures of the conversion that I did on my wifes car.

Porsche Motorsports or a race team>spare parts.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Ok cheers for that i'll look forward to the pics.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:28 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Neil ok if you never use it, it makes sense.

Be careful mate, the weight reduction is an “extreme sport “and can be dangerous and addictive : )

For motorsport parts contact Gert at www.carnewal.com

John
Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Neil ok if you never use it, it makes sense.

Be careful mate, the weight reduction is an “extreme sport “and can be dangerous and addictive : )

For motorsport parts contact Gert at www.carnewal.com

John
I know what you mean,i'm already thinking of ditching the carpets,trims,headlining etc. Just still toying with the idea of a full weld in cup car style cage!Desitions desitions
Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mooty
i just run a shorter belt. however, i dont know the length as i had my tech do all the work. but you dont need new pulley.

make sure u kill off heater and heater core and all the lines/plumbing under the car that's covered up by the plastic shield.
If you are going that far, think about removing your power steering pump and installing the Cup pump up front. You lose the engine weight and move it forward.

Since Mike *996FLT6 asked me this question yesterday I post it here for future reference.

Belt to use without a/c:

Old 04-24-2011, 12:20 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
not any time soon. it's at the shop getting more work done. like fixing the throttle pedal that DISAPPEARED during my race last weekend.
Again
Old 04-24-2011, 12:55 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^ nah that's fixed his serpentine belt snapped last weekend. Mike

Quick Reply: After air con removal advice please