Sponsored by:

Clear bra advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear bra advice

I need to replace the clear bra on the turbo. It's 4 years old and somehow has hazed a lot - not sure why.

1. Anybody have advice re: any product better than 3M's ?
2. To save $400, I might take off the old film myself. Any advice on how?
I know that some heat is required. Alcohol ?

TIA
Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

My installer used XPel on my clear bra and so far so good. I was also told that using the wrong wax can cause a clear bra to yellow. My installer recommended using a very clear or high grade carnauba wax only. I've never taken a bra off or watched the process however I would think that a heat gun would do the trick. You would have to be very patient so that paint damage does not occur.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:12 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just took clear bra off yesterday. Heat gently with heat gun or hair dryer - just warm to touch, not hot. Peel from an edge. Note if car has been touched up, there is some risk of touch up paint coming off with the clear bra - factory paint will stay put.

There will be some adhesive left behind after removing the clear bra. I tried several things on remaining adhesive (3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover, Isopropyl Alcohol, Cleaner wax - all recommended in other forums). What worked best and quickest on the adhesive was Acetone on clean "T-Shirt" rags. When done put on a coat of wax.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have been told that you need to "pull away" the film and stretch it off the surface. Like at a very shallow angle (say 25-30%) to get the best results. Plus if you just let the car sit in direct sunlight you should have enough heat to get it hot to the touch. So I tried it. And it works.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input.

Any opinions on replacement product? 3M still rule the clear bra world?

Obsessed...is that you Bob? 997 GT3?? Cool!!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:46 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Yes, it is Bob. Is that Ken B?

I stumbled on a great deal on a GT3 with RS wing in beautiful condition - couldn't resist. Moved all the track toys from 997S to the GT3 a week ago. Got in 3 days at Monticello last weekend - awesome with new car. Still having trouble finding 3rd gear from 2nd, shift pattern is much different - should get easier with some more time in the car.

I vote 3M - was great on prior cars. I had dealer do 997S 18 months ago - they used someone using another product (not sure which product) and it all yellowed badly - areas near exhaust yellowed within a couple months and were replaced and yellowed again. I just took it all off the whole car due to the yellowing.

I sought out an installer using 3M for the GT3, hopefully it holds up like it did on prior cars - yellowing really shows on white car.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I used Paint Shield on my white GT3. The sheets are larger, and so the car can be covered without any visible seams. But, unless you are going to do the entire car, I'd use 3M. Mine is very slightly yellow. It hasn't changed in 3 years since I covered it, but I noticed it from day one. Having said that, it has done an amazing job of protecting the paint. I'm covered from the front bumpers to behind the doors.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Bob, yep it's me

Congrats on the new car, sounds like a great find. I missed out on Monticello, too far down on the waitlist. See you at T-Bolt ??

Sounds like 3M is the way to go. The TT doesn't see the track anymore, just need it for the usual road debris. On slate gray, yellowing shouldn't be a problem. I just can't figure out why it hazed up so suddenly after 3+ years.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Whole thing haze or spots? One thing I learned the expensive way was don't use petroleum based solvent cleaners like bug and tar, tarminator. Took the tar or rubber off but spots where I used them went hazy.

PS I got into Monticello because they had so many apply they needed more instructors.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:26 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
I need to replace the clear bra on the turbo. It's 4 years old and somehow has hazed a lot - not sure why.

1. Anybody have advice re: any product better than 3M's ?
2. To save $400, I might take off the old film myself. Any advice on how?
I know that some heat is required. Alcohol ?

TIA
We like to think our premium product is the best in the marketplace. The film is the clearest out there. You can visit a dealer of ours who has some nice high res photos of our XPEL Premium Film. His website is www.execpaintpro.com.

As for a hazy bra you should look at this purpose made product:

XPEL PPF Cleaner (16 oz)

XPEL Paint Protection Film Cleaner is designed to extract most environmental deposits such as tar, oil, hard water stains, bug acids and other contaminants from Polyurethane paint protection films. Its deep cleaning action restores the clear, glossy, freshly-installed appearance of the original film.

Our Price: $19.95

It might clean up your bra without having to replace it. If our cleaner does not work I would watch this video on how to remove the clear bra so the adhesive will not be left on the car. You need to pull the bra to you and not away from you when removing the bra from the car. It would be good to heat it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uHXe4DgMgU

Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Thanks, XPEL

Anyone on RL with experience with this product?

For $20, I'll try the cleaner first. If no miracles, then off it goes.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:46 AM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call or email James, owner of the "Windshield Tearoff Guys"
He is right near the intersection of 84 and 17 in New York, 15mins west of Newburgh, NY.
He is a busy guy doing private collections, race teams and individuals from VIR to Tremblant, but the product, price and service once you hook up with him is well worth it.

I have his full windshield protection layer, a tearoff and a banner (which is great for a sun shield and allows me to run with a clear visor which I prefer)

Ask about his full front end paint protection bundled with a windshield tearoff. I am going back there this weekend for a new windshield tearoff and when I need my 3M protection replaced he will be the only guy I call.

845- 494-4634 James' contact #
jamestint@myway.com
http://www.tearoffguys.com/

Dennis

Quick Reply: Clear bra advice