996 GT3 - PCCB to Steel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 PM
BEZMan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 GT3 - PCCB to Steel conversion

Hi all,

I have been reading pretty much all the threads here and on 6speedonline talking about replacing ceramic rotors with steel. Here's what I gathered:

- Front: ATE Cayenne S (tirerack), DeMan, OEM 996 Cup Fronts, Centric from Rock-Auto
- Rear: OEM 997 GT3 Cup rear rotors, OEM 997 TT rear rotors

Quick questions:

1/ Pad - I have read conflicting answers... can I keep my pccb pads? If not which ones should I get for a street / track car? (I have read Green Pagid 40 rear and 50 front as a possibility)

2/ Could anyone confirm that the OEM 997 TT rear rotors will be a straight swap? I cannot find any 997 GT3 cup right now (backordered at TRG)

3/ Rears rotors: Is it a straight / easy swap? Will the ebrake still work... and do I need to order some other parts beside the rotors to make it work?

Thanx a lot in advance!

Last edited by BEZMan; 10-03-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:06 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Additional front option is Centric from Rock-Auto $77 ea. Holding up well under track use. Rears are correct. I am still using the OEM pads used in PCCB. Will eventually change to PFCs once they wear down. No problems at all. Rears are a straight swap w/ 997 cups. Ebrake still works, but diminished. Cup rear rotors have a narrower surface area for shoes. They are made in such a way that they flow more air into rotor... Works fine for me. Lou
Old 10-03-2010, 09:15 PM
BEZMan
Rennlist Member

Awesome - thanx a bunch for the info.

I have added the Centric to the list above. I will look into that as well.

For the rear, OEM 997 Cups are backordered right now at TRG. Would you know by any chance if OEM 997 TT will work (jasonfreed is selling his car right now with these rotors in the rear, so I figured it would fit ...), or would you know any other place to get Cups beside TRG?

Again, thanx a lot!

Originally Posted by ninerguru
Additional front option is Centric from Rock-Auto $77 ea. Holding up well under track use. Rears are correct. I am still using the OEM pads used in PCCB. Will eventually change to PFCs once they wear down. No problems at all. Rears are a straight swap w/ 997 cups. Ebrake still works, but diminished. Cup rear rotors have a narrower surface area for shoes. They are made in such a way that they flow more air into rotor... Works fine for me. Lou
Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Small correction for the fronts: 996 Cup rotors, not 997 Cup. Doesn't really matter though because you really don't want those rotors on the front because they suck. 997 Cup rotors are fine on the rear.

If you can't find iron rear rotors, don't worry about it. Run PCCB at the rear until they come in. The rear brakes don't do a whole lot and you'll be fine for a few track days.

I wouldn't bother using PCCB pads on iron rotors, but they will work (I've done it). Save those pads for the PCCB rotors and if you have an off track season like us in Canada do, run PCCB then. They'll last a very long time on the street.

Cheers,
Old 10-03-2010, 09:25 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine from TRG... Don't know about TTs. While at P dealer, I noticed Panamera Turbo has 350x28mm rears. I bet they would fit also. Will look at them when aftermarkets become available and my rears wear out. Economies on scale places bets that offset would be same as GT3...
Old 10-03-2010, 09:28 PM
BEZMan
Rennlist Member

Will correct my first post - thanx!

I am trying to sell my entire PCCB set (rotors - front and rear) asap though, that is why I wanted to do the full swap (they are 1.5 year old with only 3k mile on them... so i was hoping to get some $$ out of it)

Thanx a lot!

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Small correction for the fronts: 996 Cup rotors, not 997 Cup. Doesn't really matter though because you really don't want those rotors on the front because they suck. 997 Cup rotors are fine on the rear.

If you can't find iron rear rotors, don't worry about it. Run PCCB at the rear until they come in. The rear brakes don't do a whole lot and you'll be fine for a few track days.

I wouldn't bother using PCCB pads on iron rotors, but they will work (I've done it). Save those pads for the PCCB rotors and if you have an off track season like us in Canada do, run PCCB then. They'll last a very long time on the street.

Cheers,

Last edited by BEZMan; 10-03-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sent you a PM back.

The 997TT rears are a direct bolt on and the e-brake still works.

I used P50 front and P50 rears for the track with steel rotors so that I had the option of using my ceramics if i cracked a rotor and didn't want to end my track weekend.

I'd bring the ceramics with me and put them on if needed (never did, but it was nice to have pads that wouldn't destroy the rotors if you needed to).
Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM
BEZMan
Rennlist Member

That's exactly what I needed to know - thanx a lot!

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
Sent you a PM back.

The 997TT rears are a direct bolt on and the e-brake still works.

I used P50 front and P50 rears for the track with steel rotors so that I had the option of using my ceramics if i cracked a rotor and didn't want to end my track weekend.

I'd bring the ceramics with me and put them on if needed (never did, but it was nice to have pads that wouldn't destroy the rotors if you needed to).
Old 10-06-2010, 06:24 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEZMan
I have been reading pretty much all the threads here and on 6speedonline talking about replacing ceramic rotors with steel. Here's what I gathered:

- Front: ATE Cayenne S (tirerack), DeMan, OEM 996 Cup Fronts, Centric from Rock-Auto
- Rear: OEM 997 GT3 Cup rear rotors, OEM 997 TT rear rotors
I wanted slotted, so here is one more option:

Full Girodiscs Setup; my info (link)
Old 10-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

Why don't you try the GiroDisc slotted rotors with some Pagids - granted we sell them up here in Canada - but we have had nothing but good feedback on the life of the rotors and stoppig power.
If you haven't made up your mind yet - you should look into that...
We are currently prepping our 996 GT3 with a complete slotted setup and RS29's from Pagid.
Good luck - Ilker
Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 AM
BEZMan
Rennlist Member

Just got my set from jasonfreed.... Great condition - Thanx!

I cannot wait to install them this weekend.

My final set-up for those interested in the conversion (should a straight bolt-on conversion):

- Front: ATE Cayenne + Pagid 50
- Rear: OEM 997 TT + Pagid 40

[jasonfreed: correct me if I am wrong ]
Old 10-15-2010, 01:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,490 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsCarBoutique
Why don't you try the GiroDisc slotted rotors with some Pagids - granted we sell them up here in Canada - but we have had nothing but good feedback on the life of the rotors and stoppig power.
If you haven't made up your mind yet - you should look into that...
We are currently prepping our 996 GT3 with a complete slotted setup and RS29's from Pagid.
Good luck - Ilker
i have had just about every rotors made for 996gt3. if you track a lot, deman or protosport is the only way to go. no and if or buts. they are cheap. giro is not far behind in pricing, but still cost more and i need about 4 sets of front per year, some times 6 sets, so price matters.

however, for ppl who are concerned with wt, giro, brembo etc are much lighter than deman/protosport.

however, if you can sell me giro at price beating deman/proto, i be more than happy to take a set.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:52 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Mooty,

Have you tried ATE on the front? They are the least expensive by 2x.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:57 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm running the ATEs now. Just installed them a couple of weeks ago and have a couple of track days on them with RS19 pads. Install was easy, they seem to be holding up well. For the price, they're tough to beat. But they are heavy!

-KJ
Old 10-16-2010, 12:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,490 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Mooty,

Have you tried ATE on the front? They are the least expensive by 2x.
is this the one where u hve to deal with no screw hole and such?
if so, i haven't tried it yet.
you know how lazy i am. if i have to do more than breathing, it's too hard. if i see now screw hole, i will drill one right through it and the hub costing my thousands..... oh, yes, i hve destroyed entire uprights changing pads.... i can make cars fail like you never seen before.

but since it's cheap, i will run a set when my stash of deman runs out.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 - PCCB to Steel conversion