Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Access To the ECU with the Teq Bar Installed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:54 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm running mine from the phone cable behind the batwing. I have opened up a cigarette lighter adapter and am going to splice it into the power/ground and run the line back [this will be a double splice as I already have one for my V1]. Should be simple since I will have the center console out for the SCU. Also, I am going to run the ECU taps frontwards when I have the console out as well.

Hopefully, it makes for a clean install. I also hope I remember to test everything before I reassemble the car. I would hate to have something poorly grounded generating parasitic loss from the taps and find out AFTER the car is back together...

-td
Old 08-26-2010, 02:08 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

If you decide to take from front and don’t want to play with the fuse box and the free slots there; easier is to get power from switch of rear defroster behind the dash. It has the advantage that the cable is well fused and only kills power when car is locked not when you remove key from ignition switch. Also you don’t need to cut the wire you just plug it in.

John
Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't like those plastic splices everyone is putting into their looms. Is it possible to get the pins out the connectors to attach there without breaking anything or are there any cables available with the correct DME socket on one end and the plug on the other so one can splice there not in the loom?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:02 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Where did Rob get this wire and the harness? Is that 18 AWG twisted / bundled?

-td
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2010, 08:38 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have made some progress. Will post pictures shortly...

Hanging through the rollbar, in the dark, trying to count pin locations, is the suck. At least for me; I don't do electrical very well.

Anyway, sliding the group out of the connector made counting much easier.

The colors of wires 36 & 37 were not what was described in my manual, so I had to place call to Tech Support to verify if I should be looking for colors, or I should be looking for position. T/S told me position, and moreover, the CAN lines are a twisted pair, and at that point I knew I had the correct wires identified.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

God I hate dealing with spaghetti wires and my dad was an electrical contractor. Just give me a positive and a negative terminal- it's all good. Mike
Old 08-26-2010, 09:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I love it! Install p0rn
Old 08-26-2010, 10:33 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

What feed(s) are you pulling from these lines? I thought we were shooting for E6 and D13. [RPM is E6 and TPS is D13.]

-td
Old 08-26-2010, 11:47 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DanH
I really don't like those plastic splices everyone is putting into their looms. Is it possible to get the pins out the connectors to attach there without breaking anything or are there any cables available with the correct DME socket on one end and the plug on the other so one can splice there not in the loom?
Excellent question, that is what I did on a BMW project.

I would be interested to know if the pins can be removed and a new pin recrimped with both wires.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:49 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by himself
What feed(s) are you pulling from these lines? I thought we were shooting for E6 and D13. [RPM is E6 and TPS is D13.]

-td
I think he is tapping into the CAN bus, and from that you can get RPM and TPS
Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

SH,

How does your data logger work? Mine needs a separate line for each feed. If you are pulling off the CAN bus, you must have some fancy shmancy technology there!

-td
Old 08-27-2010, 07:57 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

What feed(s) are you pulling from these lines? I thought we were shooting for E6 and D13. [RPM is E6 and TPS is D13.] -td
I am shooting for wires 36 & 37 (pdf), “CAN High” and “CAN Low”; this is what these 2 wires were called by tech support.

Originally Posted by IPguy
Excellent question, that is what I did on a BMW project. I would be interested to know if the pins can be removed and a new pin recrimped with both wires.
I don’t see why not with the correct tools, but I’m no EE.

Originally Posted by IPguy
I think he is tapping into the CAN bus, and from that you can get RPM and TPS
Bingo! ~7 channels according to the literature.

SH, How does your data logger work? Mine needs a separate line for each feed. If you are pulling off the CAN bus, you must have some fancy shmancy technology there! -td
Not a logger in the true sense. I am giving the SmartyCam setup another shot, this time, obviously connecting directly to the ECU/DME so I don’t have to futz with the OBD2 connector.

I came really close to going with a Traqmate setup, but I was not excited about having to spend nearly the same amount of money, plus another video/data sych software package, for a system where after the run I would then need to synch those two streams and then still spend possibly a lot of time post-processing the video. Of course ‘a lot’ is relative…

With this AIM setup, when I walk off the track at the end of the day the video and data are already overlaid and its ready to watch and/or upload.

Now, having said that, I don’t have the true data, in number format that I can review with a coach or against others at this point, but when I get to that level, I can add on to the AIM system. There have been rumors that AIM will convert the S/C into a logger, but we’ll see.

The end game here is to have my video and data (in the form of an overlay) with the following:
  • Speed
  • Rpm
  • Throttle %
  • Brake %
  • Lap Timer
  • Gs & Track Map are just gravy

Anyone interested in my POV setup? I’ve thought about turning it around for rear facing….
Old 08-27-2010, 08:15 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC
I’ve thought about turning it around for rear facing….
Oh yea
Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

BTW, the tech support I received from AIM yesterday was very good. Granted my questions were easy, but I got to speak to a live person very quickly and he was patient with my noob questions.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:13 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Excellent work and documentation SH!

Now for the next level, where can I find individual wheel speeds from the ABS sensors?

Quick Reply: Access To the ECU with the Teq Bar Installed?