Sponsored by:

My 996gt2 alignment results,your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Well done!! perfect now you only need the rear toe links to maintain the adjustment.
good luck in the track and fighting with the steak too>

John
Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi everyone just got back from the ring,had a great time.
With regards to the alignment and how the car felt it was definately a big improvement.But the rear tyres do feel a bit like they are scrubbing a bit,its hard to explain but in the wet it just felt like they were scrubbing a bit even just on the road,it may just be the cup tyres. I thought it may be tyre pressures,i had been told to run 2.3f 2.5r hot.I tried 2.2f 2.4r hot and it improved a bit,so i tried 2.1f 2.3r hot and they felt a little like they was squirming to settled with 2.2f 2.4r hot.
I spoke to a few porsche owners with regard set up and 2suggesting set ups stood out.
The first was a 996gt3rs owner whom i know and have met a few times there,he had a full geo/corner balance set up at manthey and showed me the print he received with the settings,they are as follows,
-3.1deg front camber (strut tops rotated)
+2mm toe each side front
roll bar 2 off stiff

-2.5deg rear camber
+2.5mm toe each side
rollbar 1 off stiff

This very interesting as it suggests a low toe in on the rear,but i don't know how to convert toe in mm to degrees and minutes,can anyone help?
Also the roll bar positions are completely different to what i had suggested which is 1off full stiff front,
1off full soft rear,any suggestions?

The other guy that stood out with settings had a 997.1gt3rs,he suggested similar camber settings but said he found a slight toe out on the front and slight toe in on the rear much better and more stable when lapping fast on the nordschleife,so this throws another spanner in the works for geo settings!

Overall i enjoyed my car set the way i have it and did the fastest laps i've ever done,but when really pushing on,on a fast lap ie,low 8's high 7's ish,i don't time, i found the rear felt a little loose,this may be down to the 295 cups not being man enough compared with the 315's.

Just thought i'd post my findings for everyone,please feel free to post yours and suggestions,
cheers Neil
Old 08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GT2rainge
Hi everyone just got back from the ring,had a great time.
With regards to the alignment and how the car felt it was definately a big improvement.But the rear tyres do feel a bit like they are scrubbing a bit,its hard to explain but in the wet it just felt like they were scrubbing a bit even just on the road,it may just be the cup tyres. I thought it may be tyre pressures,i had been told to run 2.3f 2.5r hot.I tried 2.2f 2.4r hot and it improved a bit,so i tried 2.1f 2.3r hot and they felt a little like they was squirming to settled with 2.2f 2.4r hot.
I spoke to a few porsche owners with regard set up and 2suggesting set ups stood out.
The first was a 996gt3rs owner whom i know and have met a few times there,he had a full geo/corner balance set up at manthey and showed me the print he received with the settings,they are as follows,
-3.1deg front camber (strut tops rotated)
+2mm toe each side front
roll bar 2 off stiff

-2.5deg rear camber
+2.5mm toe each side
rollbar 1 off stiff

This very interesting as it suggests a low toe in on the rear,but i don't know how to convert toe in mm to degrees and minutes,can anyone help?
Also the roll bar positions are completely different to what i had suggested which is 1off full stiff front,
1off full soft rear,any suggestions?

The other guy that stood out with settings had a 997.1gt3rs,he suggested similar camber settings but said he found a slight toe out on the front and slight toe in on the rear much better and more stable when lapping fast on the nordschleife,so this throws another spanner in the works for geo settings!

Overall i enjoyed my car set the way i have it and did the fastest laps i've ever done,but when really pushing on,on a fast lap ie,low 8's high 7's ish,i don't time, i found the rear felt a little loose,this may be down to the 295 cups not being man enough compared with the 315's.

Just thought i'd post my findings for everyone,please feel free to post yours and suggestions,
cheers Neil
Michelin Cup pressures when I was crazy enough to drive with them used 31F 35R and
32F 38R when wet and had cut them for rain. (btw didn’t work)

The first Manthey alignment you mention is typical Manthey only you probably confused front toe, no way they would put +4mm toe in the front the car wouldn’t turn with a sledgehammer. Probably it was 0.2 or something.
Rear 5mm is marginally a lot not low.. about +46 min. total but ok

The second alignment of the 997 is not that different than the first

told you about the 295s.. get the toyos in 315 and wait for the newer trofeo in 315

Anti Roll bars are for fine tuning. There is not right and wrong depending on how you feel the car you set them.
Usually in the 996 gt3 I like one from full hard front and two from full hard rear.
997 gt3 was different car needed the 997 gt2 rear bar to stop the nose going out

http://www.ground-control-store.com/toe-out.htm
Here is a calculator for toe mm vs inches vs min.

Hope that helps.

John
Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Michelin Cup pressures when I was crazy enough to drive with them used 31F 35R and
32F 38R when wet and had cut them for rain. (btw didn’t work)

The first Manthey alignment you mention is typical Manthey only you probably confused front toe, no way they would put +4mm toe in the front the car wouldn’t turn with a sledgehammer. Probably it was 0.2 or something.
Rear 5mm is marginally a lot not low.. about +46 min. total but ok

The second alignment of the 997 is not that different than the first

told you about the 295s.. get the toyos in 315 and wait for the newer trofeo in 315

Anti Roll bars are for fine tuning. There is not right and wrong depending on how you feel the car you set them.
Usually in the 996 gt3 I like one from full hard front and two from full hard rear.
997 gt3 was different car needed the 997 gt2 rear bar to stop the nose going out

http://www.ground-control-store.com/toe-out.htm
Here is a calculator for toe mm vs inches vs min.

Hope that helps.

John
Got in touch with the lad who had his 996gt3rs aligned at manthey,
the cambers are the same as mine but the toe on the front is .+2mm total and rear.+2.5mm each side,he emailed the print out to me,so it seems the rear toe in is quite low.Hmmm
Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The ring and a normal track differs a bit in setup. Manthey knows for sure what settings you should have for your car. Suggest you speak with them to start with.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:41 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

^Yeah go pay Manthey for the "top secret" alignment numbers that many rennlisters have posted here and I have them and used them since 2006.

Neil stop worrying about alignment numbers! Bob gave you the Roland Kussmaul settings and I gave you the Manthey settings with a twist. You last setup is almost PERFECT.
Get a pair of decent rear toe links and go drive.

John
Old 09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Your right sorry to be a pain just got a headache with it all,so many people say so many different things,
heres another handy mm to degrees/minutes converter if your interestedhttp://www.furybusa.org.uk/camber.php
cheers for all the input
Old 09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Neil stop worrying about alignment numbers!
Get a pair of decent rear toe links and go drive.

John
Seriously. I used to obsess with settings too. Waste of time. Spend the time on the ring.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Neil don't worry about it and also note that people who actually tested various alignments and driven their gt3 gt2 cars tend to have almost similar setups regarded as good.
So most probably there are the “right ones”.

Victor yes I did too years ago, but because I had a 993 and everyone knows it was nearly impossible to set it up right with all the kinematic rear, I stopped worrying soon enough and started driving instead. With the GT once I shorted the rear toe links losing their setup and removed the eccentrics then everything else were a breeze.

John
Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea the 993s were a handful.

Quick Reply: My 996gt2 alignment results,your thoughts