My 996gt2 alignment results,your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:57 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Front is fine I would prefer camber close to 3
Rear I wouldnt go more than 2.30' with the 315s and would set the toe total 30'+

A must is to change the rear toe arms and kill the eccentric bolts. Oem can loose the toe if the wind changes suddenly.

John
AGREED! Made a big difference for me around some tracks...

I would post up my setup but it's tailored around my specific Moton setup :/ If you would like i'll still post it up, but the shock settings and such obviously won't apply! Let me know, i've helped a bunch of GT2 owners setup their cars, that's what you get I guess from messing with your own for over 2 years
Old 08-21-2010, 04:54 AM
MTB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nordschleife is a fun track but keep your eyes in the mirrors. I was there earlier this month. In 6 hrs, the track was shut down 3 times due to accidents and with 2 air lifts.
I also stayed at Tiegarten and tried the steak on stone. The damn stone kept hot for a long time! The Hotel/restaurant owned by Sabine Schmitz's mom. Very friendly lady to talk to and she told me "my daughter is very famous"!

Enjoy!
Attached Images  

Last edited by MTB; 08-21-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2rainge
Had my alignment checked and adjusted today,
The car is a 996gt2 clubsport,its recently had new rs front and rear lower split control arms,new original bilstein shocks,full powerflex polly bush kit and new toe arms at the rear and eccentrics.
I use the car mainly for the nordschleife in germany but also some uk track days,with little road use and i always run michelin pilot sport cups.
Just after opinions on my settings and whether they seem good enough or need changing,i havent drove the car on track yet since adjustments.
The settings are,

-2.12degrees camber front left -2.28degrees camber front right
8.17degrees castor front left 8.41dgrees castor front right
+0.02degrees toe front left +0.02degrees toe front right

-3.03degrees camber rear left -3.10degrees camber rear right
+0.12dgrees toe rear left +0.12degrees toe rear right

Any guidance or personal experience and input is greatly appreciated,cheers
I know you are looking for alignment feedback, but I would suggest dumping the MPSC tires for a superior product like the Nitto nt01 or toyos
Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 AM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker
I know you are looking for alignment feedback, but I would suggest dumping the MPSC tires for a superior product like the Nitto nt01 or toyos
In my experience i would say proper mpsc,not porsche n0,are far superior to toyo r888 if thats what you mean. I have no experience with nitto nt01 but are these dot marked and road legal as i need this for the nordshleife and driving on the roads,
cheers
Old 08-22-2010, 07:56 AM
GT2rainge
Racer

Originally Posted by iLLM3
AGREED! Made a big difference for me around some tracks...

I would post up my setup but it's tailored around my specific Moton setup :/ If you would like i'll still post it up, but the shock settings and such obviously won't apply! Let me know, i've helped a bunch of GT2 owners setup their cars, that's what you get I guess from messing with your own for over 2 years
Hi cheers for the reply,post up your set up as i think you can't get enough feedback about alignment.
I've also tried various set ups with my car and still trying to find one i'm happy with,but never mind i will get i set up i'm happy with one day hopefully
cheers Neil
Old 08-24-2010, 06:06 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Hi everyone,i missed the nordschleife track day and only got my re-alignment done again today,to get the extra negative camber on the front i fitted extra shims and now have 14mm total each side,i think to much,the results are as follows,please give me your thought

Front toe +0.11 total
Front camber -3.13 each side
Castor left side 8.57 right 9.24
Rear camber left -2.56 right -3.0
Toe +0.32 total

Two things wrong which i need to sort out,first is rear- camber still to much,couldn't get any less so will have to raise ride height slightly,sits a bit lower than stock at present.
Second is front castor,its to high so i'm thinking of rotating fronts strut tops and removing a set of shims so i only have 7mm and can get castor within specs.
Just one question though,i have a bit of rubbing on part lock with this castor,but is more castor than porsche specs a bad thing or will it improve turn in to have higher castor.
Please help as i'm getting alignment finished hopefully tomorrow as i plan on going to germany at last on friday morning,cheers
Old 08-24-2010, 06:14 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Front toe is a lot. Drop it down to total 4.
Front camber is done
Castor is ok if you dont rub leave it there! Castor hi increases straight line stability. If you rub rotate struts and add half the shims. This is the proper way because of the rubbing and increased track of the front but if you dont rub leave it on the gt2.

Rear camber is min 3? Whats the height!? 110mm? LOL
Really what the height F and R?

John

edit oops Now i read about the rubbing rotate and add shimms.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

GT2raigne

To get the proper caster the easiest way is to rotate the struts. That will give you about neg 2.0 degrees. Then use shims in the lower A arm to get neg 2.5 degrees. This will give you about 8 degrees of caster. What you have done with the shims causes the wheel to move too far forward and this causes tire rubbing.

I do not understand why you have so much negative camber in the rear. Even if the car is lowered some you should be able to get Neg 2.4 as per the Kussmaul spec I sent you. I would also check out the ride height in the spec I sent you.

Note, it is important to know what sort of tires you are using. The Kussmaul spec if for the original R compound Pilot Sport Cups. This setting also works well with Hoosier R6 and the new R80/R race slicks. If you plan to use full race slicks such as Dunlops you need more negative camber than the spec I sent you. The Hoosiers have reinforced sidewalls and do not need as much negative camber, in fact the amount you have now will cause the rear tires to cord on the inner edge.

Regards,
Old 08-24-2010, 06:50 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

First thanks for the speedy replies i really appreciate your help.
To 911slow,not sure on my ride heights to be honest i will measure in the morning,where is this measurement taken from on front and rear? Also i do have rubbing on both sides but more drivers side so think rotating struts is the way to go with 7mm shims.also gonna get the front toe down.
To Bob i think my alignment guy has read the spec sheet you sent me and thought 5min toe in each side,can you confirm this should be total and not each side? Also when i've checked my ride heights gonna change themto the specs you sent which are 115 front and 128 rear before anymore adjustments,should have done this sooner.Not sure why only -3camber at rear but what we did was jack rear slightly each side and camber came down straight away so we just put it down to ride height being to low.
I'm running pilot sport cups on my car which is what i'm most happy with compared with r888 and pirelli corsa's i've tried.
Cheers for all your info and feedback its really appreciated and sorry to be a pain keep asking so many questions,cheers
Old 08-24-2010, 06:57 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

John
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:03 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Cheers i'll check that first job tomorrow before i adjust anything else,
Neil
Old 08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Neil, your alignment guy perhaps does not know that Roland Kussmaul is the head of Porsche Motorsport and certainly knows what he is talking about
Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob-- was that an updated spec at that time? Ot are they original factory recommendations?
I have not paid that much attention to road car--but I do remember that there was a reviision of factory recommendations- I do not know-- so not trying to be clever here!!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:26 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Neil, your alignment guy perhaps does not know that Roland Kussmaul is the head of Porsche Motorsport and certainly knows what he is talking about
Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I know Bob,i was starting to loose faith in my geo guy but he came through in the end thanks to everyones help.
To start with this morning i measured the ride heights and found i had 110mm at the front and 115mm at the rear,so i raised the rear by 8mm and left the front.
Then i removed the front struts and took out the top mount studs and put them in the other holes and rotated them and put them back together and on,then i removed one of the lower arm shims so i only have 7mm now.
I notices straight away how much more the wheel sits where it should and not to far forward.I also noticed how severe the negative camber is with the struts right on the inner slots.So i put the bolts at the most negative end on the slots.It was -3camber on the mildest setting and the rear had less with just the ride height change.
When on the geo ramp we got everything spot on so i'm really made up with the results,they are as follows after final adjustments

Front total toe+ 4min
left front camber -3.2 right front camber -3.2
left castor 8.03 right castor 8.30

left rear camber- 2.4 right rear camber -2.4
total toe + 32min

The reason i went for more camber on the front than the 2,5 in the sir roland of kussmaul settings is i've been told the more the better on the nordschleife,
I,m off to the ring friday morning for the weekend so i'll post up my experiences with the set up and how it feels,i've only drove it on the road but it feels great i'm made up with it.
Thanks again to everyone for input and help i really appreciate it.
By the way i'll be having a steak on the stone Saturday night,mmmm can't wait

Quick Reply: My 996gt2 alignment results,your thoughts