Sponsored by:

NITTO nt-01 ?mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 05:39 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default NITTO nt-01 ?mounting

well finally off to the track next wk..with my new to me gt3 after tracking a 997s for 5 yrs.
changed all pads to yellow front and blacks rear

i ordered the ccw's and nitto's and when mounting them noticed that the grooves were going in opposite directions compared to right and left....i know they are not unidirectional but should i remount these so both r and l grooves are pointing in the same directions..? am i dislexic? i enclosed pics..

also craig at rennstore states to take the vibration dampners off for the race pads but they fit fine? i know they are not necessary but if they fit and are new i figured i would just leave them in.although they were a pain to get off the backing plates as they were really stuck..had to pry them off the backing plates but they were new as when i bought the car they replaced the rotors, vibration vapner..opinions on this?

thanks

mike
Attached Images    
Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Carefree
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Nitto's

As far as the tires, That is correct.
Now having ran MPSC, Hoosier R6, V710's and NT-01's (to save a couple bucks), the NT-01's leave something to be desired, the grip of an R6!
They are better then MPS's and the MPCS (cups) however the R6's are addictive, very addictive......

As far as Craig at the renn store, he leaves even more to be desired, honesty.
Lesson learned and I will never buy from him again. Sorry Craig, you brought this on yourself and you know it.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:11 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

thanks carefree but not sure what your first line meant..are they correctly mounted or am i correct that i need to have them remounted..it seems that with this assymmetrical design you would have to have a right a left specific tire to have them going in the same direction as i have pondered how to remount them to do this and do not think it is possible to make them go the same direction!

.thanks! btw no trailer yet so have to drive to the track so options are never as good as theHoosiers.....but someday soon looking for a tow vehicle!

mk
Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Carefree
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Nitto's

Mike,

The large blocks are the outer edge as the tire indicates. Make sure they all read "outside" on the tires.

The first track day on these tires (after a heat cycle 2 days earlier) was impressive (for the price) then the grip went away on my second track day, otherwise I was pleased on the first day!

Your new tires look sweet, Run them hard!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:31 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

While they are not directional tires, they are side dependent. There is an outside and an inside. You won't be able to get all 4 looking the same since they are all the exact same pattern.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Thx Dell ! Thought I was losing it. Sleep deprived with kids.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You and me both!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:37 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sleep deprivation? What the heck is that?

RE the tires... MPSC's are the same, one pattern with an 'outside' sidewall.

mkk62, if you're running the vibration dampers make sure you have enough breathing room in there with the new pads. New Pagids are FAT and depending on your rotor thickness, it could be asking a lot to cram in new Pagids (with spiders) on rotors that aren't that worn.

Meaning, the pads would be in constant contact with the rotor. Just make sure the rotor can spin once everything's crammed in there!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:10 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

thx yeah they spin but tight...minimal friction which i assume is normal

I think there is some rubbing in all pads on the rotors usually almost all the time?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm told that the tread pattern only matters in the wet. In dry conditions, run them in either direction as long as they're mounted correctly. In standing water, run another tire
Old 08-15-2010, 11:46 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

yeah should be fun on the way back in Fl with the afternoon thunderstorms..
used to run r888 which are prob better rain tire..
still looking for that tow vehicle...test drove inthe last month GL550, cayenne S and turbo, Lexus LX, toyota landcruiser and sequoia, Lexus GX ...not really the truck type but i hear those gm turbodiesels with allison tranny are the best...

Quick Reply: NITTO nt-01 ?mounting