Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Track Prep

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:23 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I got the longest stud I could find, and it was just long enough for my E88 BBS. They are about 4 in longer than what I need for CCWs.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:26 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninerguru
Quick question... any advantage to going with such a long stud in the rear? Would 65mm have been sufficient? Thanks!
Just for good measure mostly, and future growth/flexibility. Some posts here suggested longer ones in the rear. With the dizzing array of widths, offsets, wheels depths, etc.etc. I wanted to make sure I would have enough nut thread engagement....
Old 08-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 52 Posts

Got to love Girodisc and the Rennstore service. I noticed the box on your FS post and was wondering when you'd post something like this. The quality is first class.

Is there a benefit to studs rather than bolts? Speed of change?
Old 08-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Scott, first of all thank you for your purchase. I wanted to post a better link to installation instructions for those who are looking to do a stud/nut conversion.

There is a PDF linked here also if you want to print out some instructions.
http://www.apexcompetition.com/Produ...ud_install.cfm

A couple of other notes about out products.. we have 3 new designs coming out very soon specifically for Boxster, Cayman and GT3 etc. These 3 should cover most wheel / spacer / car combos.

Also, please make sure that you never use an acid based based wheel cleaner on our products! This stuff is caustic (obviously) and while it does a good job at removing caked on brake dust, it also attacks coated steel quite well. We've used "Simple Green" (like many of you) on our street 996 which has a set of both our performance studs up front and our "race" studs in back... and it's going on 3 years now with no significant corrosion.

Lastly, an important safety note. Many other retailers are selling "ball seat" Nuts for Porsche. But what does this mean? Ask them if they are R12, R13 or R14 radius nuts, you'll most likely draw a blank stare. M14x1.5 VW/Audi nuts are commonly sold as "ball seat" nuts for Porsche.... yet they will NOT seat properly on an OE Porsche wheel !

See this photo.

Notice the tiny band where it contacted the wheel seat? This was the only area of the nut that was contacting the wheel because VW/Audi nuts use a different radius. So don't bolt on those Mercedes, Honda or VW/Audi ball seat wheel nuts when what you need are PORSCHE specific wheel nuts!

OK well I have hijacked enough of your thread Scott. Apologies for that!
PS - Beautiful car BTW.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:00 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, do the M14 Spherical Seat Hardened Steel Racing Nuts from your catalog have the right radius? Or should the Porsche ones be used? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,639 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I got the longest stud I could find, and it was just long enough for my E88 BBS. They are about 4 in longer than what I need for CCWs.
BBS centers are "thicker" than just about any wheels out there.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

No worries Bill. It can be a little confusing; thanks for clarifying.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexComp
Lastly, an important safety note. Many other retailers are selling "ball seat" Nuts for Porsche. But what does this mean? Ask them if they are R12, R13 or R14 radius nuts, you'll most likely draw a blank stare. M14x1.5 VW/Audi nuts are commonly sold as "ball seat" nuts for Porsche.... yet they will NOT seat properly on an OE Porsche wheel !
Never knew that. So which ones do we need?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Scott, you car certainly looks the business
Old 08-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Looking good Scott! Those are pretty neat looking wheels... similar design to the stockers, but still different enough.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
Never knew that. So which ones do we need?
You would need the R14 (ø28) Porsche seat nuts if you run OE style wheels.
Yellow Zinc is all we have now. Black Oxide coming soon. Copper coated coming this fall. Remember if you have aftermarket wheels, you may require taper seat nuts instead.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:07 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy Museum Piece, Scott! That car is lookin' hella clean!

You better start shopping cup cars before you start ripping out the interior, regearing the box, and redoing the dampers...
Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sloth
Looking good Scott! Those are pretty neat looking wheels... similar design to the stockers, but still different enough.
Exactly; I did not want anything special, just another set at a good price; the fact that they were new, single piece forged,and lighter were just gravy.

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Holy Museum Piece, Scott! That car is lookin' hella clean! You better start shopping cup cars before you start ripping out the interior, regearing the box, and redoing the dampers...
I like 'em clean! Sloth actually nailed it for his new RS, which I think also applies to my car: 'A garage queen with a track habit' And, the interior will stay put.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow... that thing looks too nice to track. Very nice. Hope you clear guard/tape her up good before you go out.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:34 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Wow... that thing looks too nice to track. Very nice. Hope you clear guard/tape her up good before you go out.
Thanks, but I bought it specifically to track! I spend a few hours on clean up after each event; its not too bad; the front end and headlights are clear-bra’d.

Quick Reply: More Track Prep