Sponsored by:

Comments on this car please

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:46 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Comments on this car please

I sold my 996 Cab after nearly 7 wonderful years of ownership and now I'm looking for another car to replace it. I'm leaning toward another Cab because I love the top down experience and have ridden motorcycles for longer than most here have been alive. I usually ride to work and would put 3k-5k miles on the P car annually. I've raced motorcycles seriously for a decade, trailering with a motorhome to track around the Western US and Canada.

I could live with a GT3 and drive my wife's Boxster if I needed a topless fix. Anyway, I'm thinking maybe a GT3, TT Cab or C2S Cab 997. I'm not really particular, but I want something interesting and rather special.

So, I'd like to ask the experts here what they think of this car. It would be a fun weekend toy, running up the canyons, short trips, etc. If I did buy it I'd fly to Fla and drive it back to Utah. How are those seats for 8-10 hours a day?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...item19bdf84c61

TIA, Nick
Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 PM
woodstock964gt3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove ours from AZ to PA w/o much issue. BUT our car does not have the race seats in it.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:00 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

DON'T BUY IT!!!

I want to buy it.

Just kidding. I am just messing with you.

Looks like a great ultra low mileage car for a competitive price. But as woodstock964gt3 mentioned, it has racing seats. Make sure you are okay with this and also make sure you can fit in the seats.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:29 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're under 210#'s, you'll fit fine in the seats. Take normal breaks (4 hours, or so) and you'll have a great time. Other than being a bit overboard on the SY trim, looks like a great deal.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

One thing that is wrong in the specs is "It also came with factory powder coated wheels to match the paint"
maybe it did but that option left an unpainted gap at the edge of the rim.
Probably they painted again sometime for scratches or it wasnt an option in this car in the first place and was added later together with other yellow items.
No big deal but I dont like when people arent accurate in their ads.
Here is my car with factory painted wheels.

John
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

And the front lip spoiler is missing

John
Old 07-25-2010, 09:24 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Depends on your style mostly. This one looks a little too, kitcshy.
  • too much Yellow
  • rear tips are not stock
  • pedals are not stock
  • I see harnesses, but no bar? Wait "Factory leather wrapped rollbar" (???)

If you like it and the service history checks out, then go for it. JMHO, YMMV, etc. etc.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 AM
vtwin996
Instructor

I have almost the same car with the wheels that also match. Mine are fully painted as opposed to the lip. I dont have as much yellow inside the car though. As far as the seats, my wife and I drive from Chicago to Birminghman for PSDS and we found them plenty comfortable.

Do you plan on tracking the car at all?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:50 AM
jberkes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I'll sell you mine (PM sent). It's less expensive. Is factory correct. You only have to fly to California (and drive back)...and best of all, you don't have to canyon carve in a fly yellow car
Old 07-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
I sold my 996 Cab after nearly 7 wonderful years of ownership and now I'm looking for another car to replace it. I'm leaning toward another Cab because I love the top down experience and have ridden motorcycles for longer than most here have been alive. I usually ride to work and would put 3k-5k miles on the P car annually. I've raced motorcycles seriously for a decade, trailering with a motorhome to track around the Western US and Canada.

I could live with a GT3 and drive my wife's Boxster if I needed a topless fix. Anyway, I'm thinking maybe a GT3, TT Cab or C2S Cab 997. I'm not really particular, but I want something interesting and rather special.

So, I'd like to ask the experts here what they think of this car. It would be a fun weekend toy, running up the canyons, short trips, etc. If I did buy it I'd fly to Fla and drive it back to Utah. How are those seats for 8-10 hours a day?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...item19bdf84c61

TIA, Nick
I like SY as much as anybody -- my 08 Cayman S was SY -- but damn that's a lot of yellow. But I like it if you like it.

Car looks ok though the missing front spoiler (as another poster spotted (good eyes!) suggests an accident. I note the A/C condensors and center radiator are all aluminum colored. I'm not familiar enough with this model to know if this is the case but for instance my 03 Turbo's condensors/center radiator are black. A new one installed had the aluminum color. It was factory but came sans the black paint or aluminum anodizing.

Low miles. Near *new* car low miles. Which is good and bad. Any warranty? If not as you start to add miles any "new" car issues that crop up you'll have to pay for. Now nothing may not crop up.

I drove one Porsche nearly 80K miles before anything (AOS) appeared. (Save the RMS needed replacing at around 25K miles.)

OTOH, my 03 Turbo bought a year ago with under 10K miles at 35K miles needed a new transmission (6-speed developed a leaking seal), an idler roller bearing, a new radiator and radiator fan and a new coolant cap. All taken care of under the car's CPO warranty.

If the car has no warranty and you accept that, can live with that risk (low I'm sure, but not zero), and can live with the car's color (it is distinctive), and the seats, and so on, if of course a thorough PPI finds nothing to reject the car over, and if you can work out a satisfactory deal, buy the car.

Just give me a warning before you drive by so I have time to don my sunglasses!

Happy shopping!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:07 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Macster
I like SY as much as anybody -- my 08 Cayman S was SY -- but damn that's a lot of yellow. But I like it if you like it.

Car looks ok though the missing front spoiler (as another poster spotted (good eyes!) suggests an accident. I note the A/C condensors and center radiator are all aluminum colored. I'm not familiar enough with this model to know if this is the case but for instance my 03 Turbo's condensors/center radiator are black. A new one installed had the aluminum color. It was factory but came sans the black paint or aluminum anodizing.

Low miles. Near *new* car low miles. Which is good and bad. Any warranty? If not as you start to add miles any "new" car issues that crop up you'll have to pay for. Now nothing may not crop up.

I drove one Porsche nearly 80K miles before anything (AOS) appeared. (Save the RMS needed replacing at around 25K miles.)

OTOH, my 03 Turbo bought a year ago with under 10K miles at 35K miles needed a new transmission (6-speed developed a leaking seal), an idler roller bearing, a new radiator and radiator fan and a new coolant cap. All taken care of under the car's CPO warranty.

If the car has no warranty and you accept that, can live with that risk (low I'm sure, but not zero), and can live with the car's color (it is distinctive), and the seats, and so on, if of course a thorough PPI finds nothing to reject the car over, and if you can work out a satisfactory deal, buy the car.

Just give me a warning before you drive by so I have time to don my sunglasses!

Happy shopping!

Sincerely,

Macster.

Macster the missing front lip I spotted doesn’t necessarily state an accident damage repair.
Maybe Andrew Bloomingdale of Bloomingdales department store couldn’t get in his mansion's garage.

John
Old 07-25-2010, 08:21 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Macster the missing front lip I spotted doesn’t necessarily state an accident damage repair...
+1

Between track days if I'm taking my car for service I'll often remove the front splitter. Makes it easier for the shop, getting gas, etc. I toss it back on the day before the track.

Cheers,
Old 07-25-2010, 09:24 PM
vanHunks
Intermediate

My only observation (apart from the missing splitter, which has already been mentioned) is that if the range of cars you're considering is a broad as GT3, TT Cab or C2S Cab 997 then if you haven't already done so then you should try to test-drive both a GT3 and a Turbo because they're very different cars. Coming off a 993 C4 I test-drove a 997 C2S and two 996 Turbos before trying a GT3. I didn't like the 997 at all and found the Turbos somewhat of a one-trick party. The GT3 is harder and much purer than the others - something of a four-wheeled (sports) motorcycle, in fact - and certainly more interesting and special.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:16 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Based on what's been said above, missing lip/questionable painted lip on wheels/painted or aftermarket exhaust tips. I'd definitely inspect the underbody carefully on this one. Btw, my condenser/radiator are original and they are not painted. However, the Mobil 1 sticker is in a different spot than mine. Not sure if it's put on random but mine is to the right of the 3 Porsche stickers.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

as for driving, I did STL-LA (~1800 miles) in two days and the car was fine. only annoying part was the exhaust drone started to get old after a few hours. plus you'll only do that distance once

as for the car, not my cup of tea aesthetically but if it is truly a 3xxx mile, no track time car I'd be interested. It has been modified, wheels painted, front lip missing, so do some homework first....

Quick Reply: Comments on this car please