Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any real world benefits of RS Bumper Splitter or CF rear wing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Bonsaimaster
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any real world benefits of RS Bumper Splitter or CF rear wing.

Are there any real world benefits of the RS parts including Bumper, Splitter or CF rear wing? See GT3's with them but are they cosmetic or functional? I will not be running the car at 150mph 100% of the time, so lets leave that argument aside.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonsaimaster
Are there any real world benefits of the RS parts including Bumper, Splitter or CF rear wing? See GT3's with them but are they cosmetic or functional? I will not be running the car at 150mph 100% of the time, so lets leave that argument aside.

I would say at typical road speeds, other than looks, there are only disbenefits to splitters (scrape the ground on five driveways out of ten) and the rear wing (blocked rear vision). Above 130 MPH, there is a noticeable difference, but that will never happen in the real world (at least in the us)
Old 07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with Allen... Except I know I feel my wing at speeds less than 130 on the track.

Otherwise the CF bumpers are likely more durable than the plastic counterparts, but not enough to probably justify the cost differential.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:36 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

The 996 RS doesn't have carbon bumpers.

The front lip spoiler of the 996RS is same like 996GT3. (Cup lip spoiler is little deeper and wider)

The rear RS wing adds 25kg of down-force over 130klm/h compared with normal gt3 wing more if you add shimms of 4 or 8 degrees.

The front bumper upper outlets of 996GT3 RS are purely cosmetic but if you make them function by re-routing airflow they add about 17kg of downforce to the front.

*downforce numbers are from mantheys wind tunnel tests.

If you drive on the street at normal speeds you ll hardly notice any of those mods but fast bends on a track or fast street driving where permitted is another story and you need all of the above.

John
Old 07-16-2010, 03:43 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Yes, I believe there are real benefits to the CF Wing. At Watkins Glen the car feels more planted going us the Esses and the T5 the Outer loop after the bus stop. The other benefit is braking at the Bus Stop. The wing inspires a little more confidence because tames the tail a little which is very beneficial , at least for me, in the two areas of the track I mentioned.

I recently had another 996 GT3 with Hoosiers following me at the Glen and he mentioned my car looked so planted and I am running MSPC's.

For regular street driving the RS CF Wing is just Bling.

Last edited by rodneyr; 07-16-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: add an additional comment
Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

When he was referring to bumpers I assumed he meant the Cup Bumper. That is a popular MOD to allow a center exhaust. And the CUP bumpers like mine are Carbon Fiber.
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2010, 04:09 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bonsaimaster
Originally Posted by 007DT
When he was referring to bumpers I assumed he meant the Cup Bumper. That is a popular MOD to allow a center exhaust. And the CUP bumpers like mine are Carbon Fiber.

Nice cup bumper James.

Bonsai San said "RS parts" thats why i corrected you. Sorry

John
Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW;

The front bumper upper outlets of 996GT3 RS are purely cosmetic but if you make them function by re-routing airflow they add about 17kg of downforce to the front.

John
Interesting.
Any chance of seeing a graphic showing/explaining this?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
Interesting.
I'm pretty sure it's on Cargraphic's site. Manthey might do it too.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:22 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DHI
Interesting.
Do a search here with key words cup bumper, radiator tilt, bumper vents you ll find everything you need.

In a few words 996 gt3 from factory didn't have enough downforce front in fact it was more of a lift..
One way to address this as learned by the CUP cars years ago, and since 996gt2 and 997s implemented on road cars, is to change the relative pressure of air passing above and below the car.
So instead of air passing from the top opening of the rs bumper and the central opening of the bumper and exiting from the bottom of the car from 5 cutouts. You close the bottom opening tilt the radiator and now all (hot)air exits from the top bumper halls.
that way the bottom side is free from this air and with the help of the lip and lowered height helps to create downforce.

Hope this helps
Old 07-16-2010, 05:46 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

I found that the 8 degree shim with the stockl GT3 wing lost me 4 mph at the end of the back straight at Watkins Glen compared to the stock wing with no shim. I didn't really feel any more stability going through the Esses.
But, I did feel better stability with the CF wing compared to the stock wing ( both unshimmed) in the braking zone at Mid Ohio.
No difference on the street with any of these changes.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The data that I read stated that the RS wing has zero drag compared to the stock wing which does. Also, the DF created by the CF wing in the stock position was equal to that of the stock with the shims in place.

I lost a few mph with the RS and shims at the end of the straights but I challenge anybody in a street GT3 to enter the climbing esses at 140mph without one! I did and my *** was planted. The time I gained in the esses and through the kink on the front straight was much more significant.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:10 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
The data that I read stated that the RS wing has zero drag compared to the stock wing which does. Also, the DF created by the CF wing in the stock position was equal to that of the stock with the shims in place.

I lost a few mph with the RS and shims at the end of the straights but I challenge anybody in a street GT3 to enter the climbing esses at 140mph without one! I did and my *** was planted. The time I gained in the esses and through the kink on the front straight was much more significant.
Exactly it all depends on where you drive.
Common practice is no shims for everyday
4 for track
8 for rain (with 8 on the rs wing downforce goes to +57kg but drag goes way up too)

John
Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Bonsaimaster
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was taking about the front RS bumper. But like the idea of rerouting the airflow. That makes sense. Any other information about this mod?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:52 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
Interesting.
I have the kit on mine. you can feel the front bite in better. IRRC it's just a duct and canting the radiator back.

Quick Reply: Any real world benefits of RS Bumper Splitter or CF rear wing.