Sponsored by:

BAD SYNCROS

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:40 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default BAD SYNCROS

well just got my cpo 2004 gt3 for a week and having it re aligned at porsche...noticed clicking in shifting into 4th and 5th..they called and said the syncros between 4 and 5 are bad and will be covered via cpo...

questions
is this unusal 14 k miles ?tracked occasionally.. should i be worried about the overall car..also a little worried that they missed this as they just inspected the car last 2 wks ago..changed out a wheel bearing, all rotors, brake flush and oil during their inspection...

while i'm getting the syncros replaced there would be minimal labor for changing out the clutch...worth doing?..i searched a bit but would like more recent comments on this..LWFC? thanks

mike
Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Betya they just need the work. G50's are pretty damn indestructable especially at 14k tracked or not (drag racing not so much). An oil change would have probably done the trick but why not have them replace the LSD clutches with Guard's while there in there....
Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd agree with JR....sounds like they are trying to drum up work. Makes you wonder if they will make it appear that way after removal for PCNA to pay the CPO claim.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:34 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

If the tranny is out, you may want to consider replacing the syncros with steel, rather than the brass that are in now. I don't think the price is a big difference, but they will last longer. Also, the PMNA steel LSD plates are better than the brass ones in there now, and they may be covered...mine were.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, the gear box is tough if operated properly and lubricant is changed appropriately based on use.

As 'jrgordonsenior' said they should try lubricant change first. Seems like dealerships are looking for that Porsche AG warranty money to keep their techs busy.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,625 Likes on 2,310 Posts

if cpo covers parts and labor, then have them do it. also buy a guards lsd and put that in while at it. maybe even LWFW. all the labor are free.

if they want to charge, then i have some serious doubts.
if they told you 2nd gear or 3rd gear syncro is out, MAYBE.
but 4th and 5th???? those syncros should last a looooooooooooooooong time. possibly outlast your car!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

thanks guys i agree..i am no mechanic so i did some searches and seems very complex as to which and what LSD, pressure plate, LSD":?

they are covering all labor so would only charge for parts if i changed anything..clutch etc...

so if i go t this right, Porsche RS LWFW, pressure plate, and clutch. in my searches some question about voidiing warranty with the lwfw? any experiences on this...geez had the car one wk and now $modding...i guess good excuse if they are doing all the labor....any suggestions..parts, change all above, LSD too? seems like a lot in one wk!

mk
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,625 Likes on 2,310 Posts

lsd = limited slip differential. oem dies quickly. if you drove the car, it's probably dead! GT gears (i think t hat's his handle here) sells paul guard LSD, very nice. as is porsche motorsport.

lwfw shouldn't void warranty on 996gt3, on 997 gt3, yes.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

thanks will look into guard lsd...just cant tell the wife about all this money in the car ALREADY....
Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree.. Sounds like you are getting an unnecessary set of synchros. However, I would put in a LWFW (doesn't hurt CPO) especially at 14K, it'll likely need a new clutch soon enough. And if you won't miss the $$ get a Guards.

BTW this is what bad Synchros sound like. Listen to my 3rd gear in my old Koni car.
http://www.youtube.com/user/993DT#p/u/3/z47Cli3izvk
Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

ouch
Old 05-26-2010, 06:00 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
I agree.. Sounds like you are getting an unnecessary set of synchros. However, I would put in a LWFW (doesn't hurt CPO) especially at 14K, it'll likely need a new clutch soon enough. And if you won't miss the $$ get a Guards.

http://www.youtube.com/user/993DT#p/u/3/z47Cli3izvk
Definitely go for the LWFW! Porsche should have sold it that way when new!

I disagree on needing a clutch at 14k. Mine had almost 84k on original clutch and it still had plenty of wear left. Have the dealer show you the wear on the old clutch. Not sure, but suspect you may need a different clutch to go w/LWFW anyway. I'm sure someone on here knows for sure.

Took it to the track this weekend for the first time since installing LWFW, Guard friction discs, and Cup belville washers. (also added Tarret lower rear control arm bushings and toe links). The diff. made a HUGE difference to the feel of the car coming out of the corners vs. the old worn-out diff.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just done 19k miles on the RS clutch and its one third worn - advised not to change it by Porsche, but I am easy on clutches.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my clutch at 20k and...again at 25k when it blew up. long story, lets just say some shops don't do good work.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:25 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm gonna join the group that's saying you're getting a free set of unneeded synchros. I think changing the gear oil would remedy the issue. It's something that I find I cannot comment on frequently enough. People go to the track 1 or 2 times and they change their engine oil. But they rarely kick up the service interval on their gearbox oil in the same circumstances. I recommend if the car is tracked and still street driven that you change the gear oil between 5000-10,000 miles. If you go to the track more than once a month go with the shorter inverval. If you go only half a dozen times a year, go with the long interval. Basically change it after every few track days regardless of street mileage. Many of the PCA Club racers we do business with replace their gear oil after every race weekend.

As for the LSD? Look for a thread titled "LSD Buster" in the 997 GT3 forum. It was started by Mikymu when he sent his LSD off to me for service. It will answer most of your questions about the how and why of rebuilding your LSD. If you are left with any questions after that, feel free to ping me, or post here.

Kind Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC

Quick Reply: BAD SYNCROS