Sponsored by:

6'5" w/ Clubsport Bar/Recaro Profi SPG XL Fitment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 03:51 AM
pdobbs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6'5" w/ Clubsport Bar/Recaro Profi SPG XL Fitment Issues

I don't have a GT3, but figured this group would have a better answer than most. I've upgraded my half cage from a DAS Sport to the clubsport version and added Recaro Profi SPG XL's on Brey Krause brackets and Recaro sliders in favor of the GT3 seats I used to have in the car.

I needed the extra size in the seat since I am 6'5". However, now the seats cannot slide back very far before hitting the cross brace of the clubsport bar. I am crammed up against the steering wheel and it is not comfortable at all.

What have others done in this situation? Are the GT2 seats a better fit with the clubsport bar and still have the harness guides in the correct placement? I'm guessing it will be easier to replace the seats rather than the bar.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pdobbs; 05-08-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:16 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from one tall guy to another... I think you will end up getting rid of the bar
I had spg xls in my old 996 3 and had a custom bar made... although I believe the RSS and GMG bars will accomodate the full travel of the sliders...
Old 05-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

DAS bar offers a bit more legroom.

I'm almost 6'5" and my seat is bolted to the floor. No slider.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:15 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Pic of DAS bar to demonstrate what Chris is saying. Check out the bend in the horizontal harness bar to give a bit more room:

Cheers,
Old 05-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Pic of DAS bar to demonstrate what Chris is saying. Check out the bend in the horizontal harness bar to give a bit more room:

Cheers,
Exactly!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:43 AM
pdobbs
Rennlist Member

Ugh, I had the DAS bar before selling it in favor of the RS clubsport bar. I got rid of it because the harness bar was too low for my shoulders. Seems to be an issue of trial and error!
Old 05-09-2010, 02:16 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Bummer.

The clubsport bar will be harder to modify because of the diagonal crossbar. Can you trade someone with a DAS and then get the DAS modified? Simply cut off and weld in a new horizontal bar that's a bit higher up. Or if you went with new, you can get DAS to custom make you one the way you want.

[edit: or get that Tony fella to make you a bar. Mooty knows him.]

Just curious about this though.....but what downward angle was your harness straps at with the DAS that made you sell it? I can't remember the numbers from Schroth, but there is a fair amount of leeway and you definitely want some downward angle to help keep you in your seat and not bouncing your head off the roof.

Cheers,
Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 PM
pdobbs
Rennlist Member

Didn't realize you could custom order from DAS and get them to place the bar up higher, but that could definitely be an option. Will have to look into that.

Tony at TC Design is actually who installed this clubsport bar so I'm sure he could easily uninstall/reinstall the DAS bar. I'd love to get one of his custom bars made, but they're pretty pricey.

The downward angle on the straps to the DAS bar before was way too steep. The bar was probably 8 inches below the top of my shoulders, then add Hans and it was almost 9 inches. If I was ever in a collision it would have surely put a lot of pressure on my spine into compression. The angle was probably 65-70 degrees downward - way too steep. Now, with the clubsport bar the angle is a much more modest 10 degrees. I just can't put my seat back that far.

Nothing's perfect!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,618 Likes on 2,307 Posts

are you the C2 black car that's in tony's garage for like 2-3 weeks?

i think at your height, you need tony's custom bar. my upper body is WAY longer than legs, i always have tony measure me with me in the car on the seat i want so he can get the bar at the right spot.

Originally Posted by pdobbs
Didn't realize you could custom order from DAS and get them to place the bar up higher, but that could definitely be an option. Will have to look into that.

Tony at TC Design is actually who installed this clubsport bar so I'm sure he could easily uninstall/reinstall the DAS bar. I'd love to get one of his custom bars made, but they're pretty pricey.

The downward angle on the straps to the DAS bar before was way too steep. The bar was probably 8 inches below the top of my shoulders, then add Hans and it was almost 9 inches. If I was ever in a collision it would have surely put a lot of pressure on my spine into compression. The angle was probably 65-70 degrees downward - way too steep. Now, with the clubsport bar the angle is a much more modest 10 degrees. I just can't put my seat back that far.

Nothing's perfect!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:25 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Can Tony modify the clubsport bar to make it work? He has the skills to make that call.

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:31 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Can Tony modify the clubsport bar to make it work? He has the skills to make that call.

Good luck!
i think so, but by the time he cut, weld, paint it. it wont' be cheaper than his own. OP can buzz tony.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:30 PM
pdobbs
Rennlist Member

Yep, that was my car there for the past 2-3 weeks. Just picked it up on Friday.

As Mooty mentioned, he could modify the existing clubsport bar, but by the time it was said and done it'd be just as much as the custom one. I'm going to try to adjust the recline on the seats by changing where they're currently set on the BK brackets. It'll buy me some more legroom, but may sit a bit too upright. We'll see.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:34 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

good luck with the seat/bar interface. i had a lot of issues too.

once you fixed that. you need my GT3 wing and deck ;-)
Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 PM
pdobbs
Rennlist Member

Haha, I saw your post with the wing/deck for sale. Definitely tempting, but I think track wheels/R-comp's are next. Then a 997.1 GT3 down the road. Let me know when you're unloading one
Old 05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

Just a thought if havent done it- get seat brackets to lower seat- u can get really low if u dont use sliders then get a dasport again. I think mooty has one for sale but it's for non sunroof. I plan to sell mine at some point but it's non- sunroof too. regards. Mike

Quick Reply: 6'5" w/ Clubsport Bar/Recaro Profi SPG XL Fitment Issues