Worn suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:05 PM
mike58
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worn suspension advice

Hi
I don't have much tech knowledge so please bear this in mind if anyone is kind enough to reply
My Mk1 GT3 has Manthey spec KW v3 suspension which has done about 12,000 miles , mainly road with some trackwork.
My main dealer has reported the rear shocker bushes worn through to the metal, I have not noticed any problem except the odd clonk.
They say new shockers are needed.
Does anyone know is this the only fix, could the bushes be replaced and save me having to bin expensive Manthey kit?
Also reported were worn fr and rr suspension arm bushes with once again the recommended fix being new arms and not the rubber bushes. Do you think this is reasonable , if not what would you recommend and is there a replacement bushing material that would withstand mod track use and retain some street comfort.
If there are repair solutions please include links to suppliers esp UK.
Thanks to all in anticipation
Mike
Old 04-16-2010, 04:49 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- it is hard to believe that a car with only 12,000 miles (with only some of it tracked) can have worn stock control arm bushings (im not an expert but that seems crazy) OR, are you saying the KW kit has 12,000miles and the car has far higher miles in total?

- imo, if your car is to remain a daily / weekend driver with only limited tracking days, stick with the OE control arms with joints that are protected from the elements (if I read correctly, you live in Glasgow, I was born there and Glasgow is not southern California - i.e. it is known to rain a little)

- also, I would think it should be very doable to push out with a press the old bushing and have new bushing put in (call KW - complain vigorously about what has happened - I would think they would send out new bushings for free)

- next question I would be asking myself is wtf is going on with the geometry of the car that has caused this ? - something sounds not quite right with the car??
Old 04-16-2010, 04:58 PM
mike58
Rennlist Member

Car total milage 26000. Car is nearly 11 yr old , Manthey kit 4.5 yr old Geometry is track oriented -3.0 neg fr and rr. Has been used hardish on track when it is on track , not a daily driver.
So do I understand then that bushes on both shockers and susp arms are replaceable ? This is what I really need to know
Thanks for the reply
Mike
PS Glasgow is not Cali - well spotted
Old 04-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Drmark
Racer

Mike,
Bushes for the control arms can be replaced separately -and routinely are by Indies. I would upgrade to Powerflex which are a lifetime fix (or close!). Your ARB bushes will probably be tired too. Not sure what the garage mean about the dampers but it would be very unusual for KWv3 to need replacing after just 12K.
I would strongly advise calling Chris Franklin at Center Gravity near Birmingham (Google for contact details). He loves GT3s and keeps Powerflex etc in stock as he does so many. Honest guy and knows KWv3 backwards too. My bet is he could go right through your suspension for a fraction of what the dealer is suggesting you require. Although he is a long way from you. Worth a chat though.
He has replaced many of the bushes on my Mk2 99 GT3 and fitted and set up my KWv3 to perfection.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mark
Old 04-17-2010, 12:37 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I remember a post and video on rennlist bout some guy chasing a gt3rs with his 6gt2 and he kept banging every berm with impunity. U didn't happen to own one : )?. Mike
Old 04-17-2010, 02:50 PM
mike58
Rennlist Member

Hi
The advice I have had today from Steve at JZM is that early KW bushes have been known to fail and there is a replacement part for this avail from KW.
Will keep Chris at CG in mind
Thanks for the help, Rennlisters Rock !!
and he kept banging every berm with impunity
do you mean kerb?
Not me

Quick Reply: Worn suspension advice