Sponsored by:

The damage update

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Did the pick up location have surveillance cameras?

I think this is only the second GT3 deck lid I have seen separated like that, inner shell from outer, wow!
The PU location was actually at the Dr's clinic's lot...so no cameras.

I can only theorize that it was hit on such an angle that it "popped" the inner from outer...would you agree...yet the damage is more of a nasty scrape and not a hit - I don`t know what to think..

Last edited by Overdraft; 02-21-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that's one weird story. Also, why would someone put 997 tips upside down?? Are you sure the car was never hit before??
Old 02-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWay27
Now that's one weird story. Also, why would someone put 997 tips upside down?? Are you sure the car was never hit before??
I was told from the get go that the car had a collision. Carfax showed an accident on the car so I tracked down the guy who did the repair and spoke with him directly and comfortable with the work done. The mechanic who did my PPI said it was perfect. It was a front end parking lot mishap (with a box truck) where the car was backed into. The front fender, light and hood and bumper cover were changed.

The first owner had some knarly exhaust on it that the Doctor was driven crazy by so it was swapped out with stock GT3 exhaust. Knoxville Performance - who serviced this car and did the exhaust swap - only had a set of 997 tips in the shop and the PO was OK with that. (spoke with the tech at Knoxville Performance yesterday who did the work).

The car was not expensive by GT3 standards BUT I will feel much much better by Tuesday when my Porsche dealer body shop has a solid once over and my mechanic does his thing for a Canadian safety check. There are two GT3`s for sale on Autotrader Canada and they are both $ 79,000.00 C - this car was considerably less. I know you get what you pay more but I might (hope) to have lucked out. You would not believe the calls and research I have done on the PO, and his reputation, bank, lawyer, and two mechanics on the car...PO seems like a solid straight up guy.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you did your homework and everything is fine by you then congrats. Hey, I wouldn't mind buying a car for cheap either with a few stories, only if it's to turn it into a track rat.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWay27
If you did your homework and everything is fine by you then congrats. Hey, I wouldn't mind buying a car for cheap either with a few stories, only if it's to turn it into a track rat.
Yes, it is only going to be a track rat - although I am really really (yes that is two) fussy about my cars so I am sincerly hoping the car is as good as I have been told. It was not my intent to buy any car with a story but this one I followed - minor in nature - and the price reflected that it did have some work done on it. If I can take any solice out of this trucking fiasco would be that it goes right to the body shop where I will sieze the opporunity to get any other blemises or goofy cosmetic stuff dealt with. The car will leave my local Porsche dealers re-newed and refreshed...than right to my first DE event April 30th.

Admidedly, I couldn't have done any more DD than actually fly a Porsche mechanic to smalltown VA to do this...and man as corny as this sounds....sometimes you have to take people at their word....

Gosh I hope I was right.

Last edited by Overdraft; 02-22-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:16 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

almost looks like someone was using the wing to push the car and the sections parted.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Yes, it is only going to be a track rat - although I am really really (yes that is two) fussy about my cars so I am sincerly hoping the car is as good as I have been told. It was not my intent to buy any car with a story but this one I followed - minor in nature - and the price reflected that it did have some work done on it. If I can take any solice out of this trucking fiasco would be that it goes right to the body shop where I will sieze the opporunity to get any other blemises or goofy cosmetic stuff dealt with. The car will leave my local Porsche dealers re-newed and refreshed...than right to my first DE event April 30th.

Admidedly, I couldn't have done any more DD than actually fly a Porsche mechanic to smalltown VA to do this...and man as corny as this sounds....sometimes you have to take people at their word....

Gosh I hope I was right.
By any chance is it going to Andreas Mrak? If so you are definitely in good hands!!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
By any chance is it going to Andreas Mrak? If so you are definitely in good hands!!

It is Gunner...and as you know, that car will be as nice - or nicer than the factory...Andreas is a real artist..

I just drove the car an hour ago for the first time - I must admit...it is brilliant...
Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

It is Gunner...and as you know, that car will be as nice - or nicer than the factory...Andreas is a real artist..

I just drove the car an hour ago for the first time - I must admit...it is brilliant...
Yup, he most certainly is!!

The only down side.. it will be finished by early Oct

J/K!!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

The GT3 will give you smiles.

Red is the fastest.

Signup for Rennsport PCA events opens March 1.

Congrats on the purchase.

BTW, virtually all the Ottawa GT3 guys have their cars serviced and set up at Autoimport.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck

Red is the fastest.

BTW, virtually all the Ottawa GT3 guys have their cars serviced and set up at Autoimport.
+1 on Autoimport!!

-1 on the Red is fastest

again..... J/K!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck

Red is the fastest.

Chris...all my Porsche work after the cars went off warranty has been done by Todd Anderson at Autobahn Tuning - and he is not far from the house..

I simply can't believe how much fun that car is to drive...
Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Hi;

Sent you a private message.
Got your PM...

Thanks for the report. I can tell the guys here you got me some very interesting information I did not have on the car....all good news but none the less, interesting. Please respond to my PM, as I am curious as to how you got this stuff - well done..

And once again thank you very much for your time and effort on this.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Chris...all my Porsche work after the cars went off warranty has been done by Todd Anderson at Autobahn Tuning - and he is not far from the house..

I simply can't believe how much fun that car is to drive...
So you're not too far from my office, where my car currently sleeps.

Just saying Jason at Autoimport has set up most of the 996 GT3s in Ottawa for the track and is very familiar with them.

Be sure to set up the alignment properly if you're going to track it a lot. The car has a tendency to chew left side fronts first if camber isn't enough and then left side rears at Calabogie unless you swap side to side.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Just thinking ... this would be a good opportunity to upgrade to an RS wing blade ...

Quick Reply: The damage update