Sponsored by:

San Francisco alignment shops

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,245 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
Sonnen is the place to go for alignments if you live in SF. They've got a high-end Beissbarth machine that also does corner balancing. Highly recommended from personal experience (and I had a lot of alignments done there).
I have to disagree ... I took my car there to be aligned a while ago, I asked the rep to align the the owners manual 'track' specs ...

1) they did not know those existed for the 997.1 GT3

2) they did not align it so, because they did not know that you have to rotate
the front camber plates to achieve the necessary -ve camber

3) they silently did this, only owning up to it when I collected it ... too late
to do much about it ...

4) they did not offer any redo/or reduction in cost or even apologies

While I would recommend them for other mechanical work, I do not think they
have the expertise with GT3's to do anything other than what the workshop manual tells them ... or not ...

YMMV

- Larry
Old 02-22-2010, 08:03 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

The tech at Sonnen named Danny did my alignment( don't think he's there nemore) but he's well trained on GT3 alignment. He rotated the struts/ corner balanced to my track specs. Did an awesome job. Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
The tech at Sonnen named Danny did my alignment( don't think he's there nemore) but he's well trained on GT3 alignment. He rotated the struts/ corner balanced to my track specs. Did an awesome job. Mike
trying to recall when I had this done, probably summer CY'08 ... wish he'd done mine ...

Old 02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Same experience here. He wouldn't do anything on the car until we talked about how I wanted it set up and he did it perfectly every time. He had Cup car experience from Europe and knew his stuff. I think Mike is right, that he's long gone.

I also had others there do the alignments and never had a problem. The key is to be specific about what you want (I would tell them the exact specs), if the struts need to be rotated, etc. Also, I prefer to talk to Gary the service writer, he usually makes sure it gets done correctly.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holger B
Same experience here. He wouldn't do anything on the car until we talked about how I wanted it set up and he did it perfectly every time. He had Cup car experience from Europe and knew his stuff. I think Mike is right, that he's long gone.

I also had others there do the alignments and never had a problem. The key is to be specific about what you want (I would tell them the exact specs), if the struts need to be rotated, etc. Also, I prefer to talk to Gary the service writer, he usually makes sure it gets done correctly.
it was gary that wrote me up ... and I was specific with the specs as quoted in the owners manual ... and frankly they should know to rotate the camber plates to obtain certain settings ... not me.

I guess I was just unlucky or you guys were luckier ... bottom line, they did not align it as per my request, did not contact me to tell me they were unable to align it accordingly, and made no apology or other attempt to rectify when I collected the car from them.

YMapparentlydoesV

having said that I still use the dealership for maintainence
Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm, sounds like Sonnen is a bit iffy which is the last thing I need

Has anyone gone to TRG for a full dial-in experience- alignment, corner balancing, etc?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
We made the 3 day drive to Infineon last year only to find out that the alignment on my 6GT3 was way out of whack because of a faulty alignment head at the shop that did it here. I went to Big-O in Sonoma and they were great people and very helpful but their alignment wasn't quite right. So I had it done again by Tim Barber at www.tfbperformance.com right at Infineon and it transformed the car. Super knowledgeable guy with great equipment and very familiar with Porsche.
Hey thanks. I looked at their site and will keep them in mind.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:28 AM
mxdave74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Christian at Carlsen Porsche was right up there on corner balance jobs with TC? Hasn't he been involved in Van Overbeek's RSR... I presume that means he works for Flying Lizard on the "weekends"?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:52 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Tony Of TCDesign will have my business- mooty u gonna pick me up and bull**** at your house then drive me back : ). Mike
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Tony Of TCDesign will have my business- mooty u gonna pick me up and bull**** at your house then drive me back : ). Mike
yes, for a fee, i do just abot anything
Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mxdave74
I thought Christian at Carlsen Porsche was right up there on corner balance jobs with TC? Hasn't he been involved in Van Overbeek's RSR... I presume that means he works for Flying Lizard on the "weekends"?
i forgot about christian. he is GOOD.
however, van overbek's car is not aligned by christian.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Mooty- Starbuck's run : ). Mike

Quick Reply: San Francisco alignment shops